Speculation: Canucks to move AHL affiliate to Lower Mainland after Utica agreement expires?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Terrible idea to drop Utica. Their fan base is better than Vancouver's. this is a building that sells out consistently and the Comets are complete and utter garbage this year as the Canucks have taken anything of AHL value away and given them only Virtanen.
Alex Grenier Curtis Valk at 12 each and Darren Archibald at 10 goals have 40% of Utica's goals this season. If the Canucks do anything to Utica it's maybe start to rebuild and give that roster something to work with.
Using excuses like "they'll be used to the travel if they play here" yeah not something I'd want a young player to have to deal with when the AHL already has a condensed schedule and usually play 3/4 nights almost every fri-mon on the calender.
Unless the AHL expands to more western division teams, or we can finally reconfigure the CHL into the AHL with 19 year olds it doesn't make sense anyways. The rules are still too strict for CHL graduates to even get AHL time when they need it so they spend seasons in the NHL they aren't ready for. We've got some recent studies from our past roster.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Terrible idea to drop Utica. Their fan base is better than Vancouver's. this is a building that sells out consistently and the Comets are complete and utter garbage this year as the Canucks have taken anything of AHL value away and given them only Virtanen.
Alex Grenier Curtis Valk at 12 each and Darren Archibald at 10 goals have 40% of Utica's goals this season. If the Canucks do anything to Utica it's maybe start to rebuild and give that roster something to work with.
Using excuses like "they'll be used to the travel if they play here" yeah not something I'd want a young player to have to deal with when the AHL already has a condensed schedule and usually play 3/4 nights almost every fri-mon on the calender.
Unless the AHL expands to more western division teams, or we can finally reconfigure the CHL into the AHL with 19 year olds it doesn't make sense anyways. The rules are still too strict for CHL graduates to even get AHL time when they need it so they spend seasons in the NHL they aren't ready for. We've got some recent studies from our past roster.

Exactly. There's no good reason to move from Utica in the near future.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The AHL has expanded to the west.

Plus, AHL teams play entirely against their own conference.

Pacific teams
Bakersfield
Stockton
San Jose
Ontario
San Diego
Tuscon
Texas
San Antonio

Central
Manitoba
Iowa
Rockford
Milwaukee
Cleveland
Chicago
Charlotte
Grand rapids

So if the Canucks move the team to California, and Vegas sets up their AHL team in the west, then Texas and San Antonio move into the central, thus allowing Charlotte and Grand rapids to move to the eastern conference.

So, the travel would not be too bad.

But it has to make sense. Utica has a nice travel.schedule as all of their games are in the eastern time zone.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
This is literally impossible in 2017. Players feel all the pressure of this fanbase every time they check social media (which they all do even though they probably shouldn't).

While true It's one thing hearing it from the diehards on social media, it's another to hear it from the average Joes who never bothered paying attention to the AHL because they couldn't be bothered to put in the effort to find streams, watch WTG's clips...etc but now has high expectations of a kid because they now can see him in Abby on the weekend.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
The further canucks prospects are kept from the influence of the Aqulini's the better, IMHO.

14brjmo.jpg

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
I'd love to see an AHL club back in the Lower Mainland. However, I'm not sure where they can fit. the Giants struggled and have moved to Langley.

Maybe Surrey, Abby is way too far out to get people interested.

Another alternative would possibly be Victoria or even Washington State.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
I'd love to see an AHL club back in the Lower Mainland. However, I'm not sure where they can fit. the Giants struggled and have moved to Langley.

Maybe Surrey, Abby is way too far out to get people interested.

Another alternative would possibly be Victoria or even Washington State.

Washington State would be interesting(I don't know about anything about arenas in that area though), but I can't see Victoria happening. They'd have to share with the Royals arena wise wouldn't they ?

I also think very few people would take the ferry to go to a AHL game, so then you have that team being for the Island solely.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
The Canucks play 25-26 road games in either east time zone/central time zone. Thats more than half of their road schedule. Most often if theres an injury to our player, they dont play their callups right away and its pointless to move their farm to the west if they do not play right away. The Canucks players tend to get injured on the road more than at home.

The farm team needs more practice time and being in the east is perfect to be at for our prospects than in the west. The young prospects need to preserve their health with an easy travel on the bus that is 2 hours or less by bus and is not taxing on their body than on the plane for hours in AHL brutal western travelling. Also it is more advantageous for us in that the western conference teams do not know the Canucks prospects because they do not play in AHL western conference except for a few scouts in a potiential trade talk. If theres a callups, the farm would give a scouting report for a prospect if they play against each other often in AHL and they dont have any scouting report if they dont see often or if at all and scout cannot be at all Comets game. So all of reasons that they should stay in Utica.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I agree. I find the "they'll be used to the travel" argument incredible dumb.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
A few things

First i think this move will happen sooner or later but NOT right now. Canucks interest in Vancouver is lower than it probably has ever been. No one has faith in the management group and even the Giants moved (most of their games) mostly due to lack of interest. Basically moving right now makes no sense but once the interest starts spiking again, the move likely will happen.

Now why would we move our AHL team? Simple... refer to the back to back games vs the Flames recently. That's the number 1 reason you want your farm team close. If Utica was in Vancouver or at least somewhere out west (with more AHL teams headed West that seems like a possibility), then we could've called up a 6th D instead of having Rodin being the #1 cheerleader for 60 minutes. Of course its still possible our AHL team is out East but locating the team out West means a higher probability we can get a quick recall.

There are other benefits of having a team close...

#1 - Get used to the travel... 'nucks always have one of the worst travel schedule in the league due to location. Well our prospects might as well get used to it. Sure it might mean less time to practice but a good management group probably will figure out how to coordinate the travel time with regular down time. In the end, it probably helps the prospects to be used to the fatigue of playing in Vancouver/out West if they end up here.

#2 - Allows management to easily keep an eye on prospects. Lets be honest, rather its Chicago or Utica, we haven't had a ton of success with our AHL development. Most of our impact players are either coming straight from Jr. (Horvat) or NCAA (Tanev, Stecher, Hutton) or even KHL (Tryamkin). Our last successful developments from the AHL seems to be Hansen/Burrows (not counting goalies), which was way back with the Moose. Gaunce is really the only member of our team that spent much time in Utica (and he's a 4th liner so not huge impact). Of course part of the problem is the lack of quality prospects there but end result, Chicago/Utica haven't really produced so maybe it would benefit us/next management group to actually be able to keep a close eye on our prospects. Remember even Corrado, who looked great when he was out of Jr. seem to completely stop developing AHL and he was a quality prospect at one time. There hasn't been many but any with NHL "upside" completely disappeared after being in Utica/Chicago... that list includes Sauve (was highly touted before Jr but development pretty much stopped in Manitoba), Andersson (remember Edler comparisons?), Gaunce (who i guess "developed" into a bottom 6 player, but former first round pick), shinkaruk (who to be fair might have been Utica's success story, he was developing pretty well).

#3 Money actually makes sense long term. If 'nucks are doing well (and sooner or later they will bounce back, everyteam has their ups and downs), there will suddenly be huge demand. Remember Calgary might have failed in Abs but when they were here and facing the Moose, those games were ALWAYS sold out. Utica Memorial Auditorium (based on google) only seats 4000. If 'nucks are doing well, the "farm" team likely would even sell out Pacific Coliseum @ 15k+. That's why the move doesn't make sense now but it would've made sense during Sedin's prime/MG era because every game was sold out (even Giants games were sold out during the peak). Not to mention 'nucks fans would be more interested in our prospects and likely develop a better connection if we actually can watch them live 40 times a year while they are developing (which then means more Jersey and merchandise sold). Of course if we have bad years (like right now), the owner likely would have to eat the loses but they'll make up for it during the peak years (after all 1 year selling out @ 15k is basically like 4 years of selling out in Utica... during the down year its always possible to do what the Giants are doing and moving the team outside Vancouver to reduce operating cost).

Of course in the end moving the team isn't fair to Utica but its business. There's a reason for all these relocation rumors because there likely has been talk and will continue to be talk about relocation. Utica is a great community and being realistic, its too small and really not ideal to support a team out west. They would make better sense for a smaller market team out East (NY Islanders/Devils/etc).

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I hope not. Utica has been great for our AHL affiliate. Great fan support, close to most of their opponents. We need to worry about supporting them more, not uprooting them.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
A much more profitable scenario for the Aquilini's would be relocate the Comets to Abbotsford (get subsidy from the City of Abbotsford). Relocate the Canucks to Utica. Tear down Rogers Arena and redevelop the site as a commercial highrise plus Canucks save on travel costs by being located in the east.

:naughty::naughty: ;);) :sarcasm::sarcasm:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I repeat! There has never been a problem getting a call-up to the sight the Canucks needed him. Even the recent fiasco where they played with 5 D it was not because Pedan couldn't get there. Willie knew the Canucks' situation the night before. He thought one of two "50/50" recovering D-men would be ready the next night. He didn't request a call-up. He gambled and looked the dolt the next night. It had nothing to do with getting Pedan to Alberta in time. What if the AHL affiliate was on the road in Southern California. Would the trip to Alberta been any closer than a flight out of PHiladelphia the night before the player would have been needed.

Let's face it. Willie doesn't like Pedan! He is now on his 4th call-up and has yet to dress for a game. This 5-man D in a game was not the failure to get a replacement in an emergency, it was Willie's reluctance to use the said replacement. Whether he was in Allentown Pa (where the Comets were with their 6 and only 6 D-men at the time) or somewhere in California was inconsequential.

The Comets are in a division with Syracuse (less than an hour away to the west), Albany (a little more than a hour away to the east), Binghamton (90 minutes or so to the south, next season in Belleville Ontario 3 1/2 hours), Rochester (2 hours to the west), Toronto (c.4 1/2 hours to the west), and St. John's (who next season will be in Laval, Quebec which is 4 1/2 hours as well). This is all by bus. Many of those away games see the Comets back home in their own beds for the night.

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
I repeat! There has never been a problem getting a call-up to the sight the Canucks needed him. Even the recent fiasco where they played with 5 D it was not because Pedan couldn't get there. Willie knew the Canucks' situation the night before. He thought one of two "50/50" recovering D-men would be ready the next night. He didn't request a call-up. He gambled and looked the dolt the next night. It had nothing to do with getting Pedan to Alberta in time. What if the AHL affiliate was on the road in Southern California. Would the trip to Alberta been any closer than a flight out of PHiladelphia the night before the player would have been needed.

Let's face it. Willie doesn't like Pedan! He is now on his 4th call-up and has yet to dress for a game. This 5-man D in a game was not the failure to get a replacement in an emergency, it was Willie's reluctance to use the said replacement. Whether he was in Allentown Pa (where the Comets were with their 6 and only 6 D-men at the time) or somewhere in California was inconsequential.

The Comets are in a division with Syracuse (less than an hour away to the west), Albany (a little more than a hour away to the east), Binghamton (90 minutes or so to the south, next season in Belleville Ontario 3 1/2 hours), Rochester (2 hours to the west), Toronto (c.4 1/2 hours to the west), and St. John's (who next season will be in Laval, Quebec which is 4 1/2 hours as well). This is all by bus. Many of those away games see the Comets back home in their own beds for the night.

BG is 100% correct regarding the recent call up of Pedan and the Nucks needing to play with 5 dmen in Calgary and let me add more to his explanation. The Comets drove to Hershey, PA immediately after their home game last Friday night. That same night both Tanev and Hutton get hurt and both injuries appear to be minor in nature. If the Nucks wanted to call Pedan up on Saturday for the game in Calgary he could have been there at 12:30 that afternoon on an Air Canada flight out of Harrisburg, PA which is the capital of PA and right next door to Hershey.

The reason why Pedan wasn't called up was they believed that Hutton could play and they didn't want to put anyone on IR to open a roster spot and not because they couldn't get Pedan to Calgary in time. After the fact they found out Hutton's injury was bad enough to warrant being placed on IR which opened a roster spot for Pedan.

The move the farm team close to the parent team because we had to play short handed argument has never been supported by facts. Teams carry extra skaters on the 23 man roster which makes the same day call up need a very rare occurrence. Yes goalies are different but even teams with farm teams close by have to occasionally sign an emergency goalie.....But when was the last time any of them actually played because the starter also got hurt?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

For starters, i didn't mention WD mostly because i don't believe he'll be the head coach when the move happens (like i said, i don't think it makes any sense right now, it would be when there's interest in 'nucks). I was referring to the situation and the option being there (and realistically NOT being there).

As far as the call-up being possible. It would be late at night from Albany (Utica played there and had a b2b to Hersey during 'nucks b2b vs Flames). I don't really think its realistic to call someone who likely should be asleep from Albany/Hersey (at the end of the game, it would be 1am EST) all the way to Calgary in time to play the game. Basically you'll have a player who might make it just in time for puck drop vs a player who could be at morning skate.

A trip from the west coast to Calgary would be a lot closer and there's likely a close to 50% chance the player would actually be in Vancouver. That makes the call-up much simpler but even in the worst case, the same player would be much closer.

Also no one says Utica doesn't have a soft travel schedule. If anything it might be too soft because we haven't had a single successful player come out of Utica (or Chicago for that matter). Yes, Utica haven't had a lot to work with but whatever they've had, the development hasn't been there. No this isn't exactly a Utica issue rather its a management issue but having players closer to the new (or hopefully new) group also has its merits as management can easily keep an eye on prospects without traveling cross country.

You look at other successful teams and a lot of them actually have their farm teams fairly close. That's also one of the reason for the west AHL expansion. A lot of western teams want their farm team closer. Look at other successful NHL teams (recent) and where their farm teams are located...

(all same state)
Chicago - Rockford
Detroit - Grand Rapids
Pits - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

With the Pacific expansion, the move went from not too desirable (in terms of travel) to not too bad since most of the travel would actually just be to Cali. No players won't get to sleep at home but honestly if you're playing professional hockey, you probably should be used to not sleeping at home for 1/2 the season... better get used to that in the AHL rather than try to coup as a NHL rookie.

On the flip side you get to kinda get used to the environment that you're playing towards. Its like how the Toronto Blue Jays bought in their top prospects recently to get used to the "atmosphere" in Rogers center or how Benning keeps calling up random prospects (last year mostly) to sit in the press box. Having the prospects close and likely being able to come out to say 20 home games (without extensive travel arrangement/missing games/etc) could be an asset and can be a motivation tactic. Heck having them train with the Sedins could even help with their development (tho the move likely won't happen until the Sedins retire so thats moot, but you can replace Sedins with Horvat who is a known hard worker too).

Again i'll admit this isn't one bit fair to Utica and their fans. Utica has very supportive and educated fans and do deserve a team... the situation just isn't ideal for the 'nucks when they are performing well (aka not now!) and actually have decent management (again new group!).

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
I remember reading that Idaho was getting a team and that would be linked to van. Is this not the case anymore?

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
For starters, i didn't mention WD mostly because i don't believe he'll be the head coach when the move happens (like i said, i don't think it makes any sense right now, it would be when there's interest in 'nucks). I was referring to the situation and the option being there (and realistically NOT being there).

As far as the call-up being possible. It would be late at night from Albany (Utica played there and had a b2b to Hersey during 'nucks b2b vs Flames). I don't really think its realistic to call someone who likely should be asleep from Albany/Hersey (at the end of the game, it would be 1am EST) all the way to Calgary in time to play the game. Basically you'll have a player who might make it just in time for puck drop vs a player who could be at morning skate.

A trip from the west coast to Calgary would be a lot closer and there's likely a close to 50% chance the player would actually be in Vancouver. That makes the call-up much simpler but even in the worst case, the same player would be much closer.

Also no one says Utica doesn't have a soft travel schedule. If anything it might be too soft because we haven't had a single successful player come out of Utica (or Chicago for that matter). Yes, Utica haven't had a lot to work with but whatever they've had, the development hasn't been there. No this isn't exactly a Utica issue rather its a management issue but having players closer to the new (or hopefully new) group also has its merits as management can easily keep an eye on prospects without traveling cross country.

You look at other successful teams and a lot of them actually have their farm teams fairly close. That's also one of the reason for the west AHL expansion. A lot of western teams want their farm team closer. Look at other successful NHL teams (recent) and where their farm teams are located...

(all same state)
Chicago - Rockford
Detroit - Grand Rapids

With the Pacific expansion, the move went from not too desirable (in terms of travel) to not too bad since most of the travel would actually just be to Cali. No players won't get to sleep at home but honestly if you're playing professional hockey, you probably should be used to not sleeping at home for 1/2 the season... better get used to that in the AHL rather than try to coup as a NHL rookie.

On the flip side you get to kinda get used to the environment that you're playing towards. Its like how the Toronto Blue Jays bought in their top prospects recently to get used to the "atmosphere" in Rogers center or how Benning keeps calling up random prospects (last year mostly) to sit in the press box. Having the prospects close and likely being able to come out to say 20 home games (without extensive travel arrangement/missing games/etc) could be an asset and can be a motivation tactic. Heck having them train with the Sedins could even help with their development (tho the move likely won't happen until the Sedins retire so thats moot, but you can replace Sedins with Horvat who is a known hard worker too).

Again i'll admit this isn't one bit fair to Utica and their fans. Utica has very supportive and educated fans and do deserve a team... the situation just isn't ideal for the 'nucks when they are performing well (aka not now!) and actually have decent management (again new group!).

Do you not understand modern day travel? He also doesn't need to be awake for like 90% of his maybe 8 hr trip.

GranGod*

Jan 12, 2017
There's a lot of land around Newton and Whalley. Problem is traffic infrastructure. I say best spot for the team would be at Rogers Arena.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

(all same state)
Chicago - Rockford
Detroit - Grand Rapids

1. "For starters, i didn't mention WD mostly because i don't believe he'll be the head coach when the move happens "

The reference to WD was in saying he chose not to call Pedan up even though it was possible to do so. Your saying WD won't be here in the future has nothing to do with that point.

2. You suggest it would be 50% the player to be called up would be in Vancouver rather than on the road.

That would mean you're assuming the Canucks place their farm team in the Vancouver area. I personally think that is a horrible idea.

AHL teams travel by bus. There are no AHL teams within a 16 hour bus ride of Vancouver. Putting a team in the lower mainland/Fraser Valley would mean horrendous travel for the Comets and be a travel problem for every team in the Western Division. Surely a development team should have development in mind. Having that much travel is not good for the players, despite your apparent thinking that it is better for them to learn how to sit on a bus for hours on end rather than work on their games.

3. "It would be late at night from Albany (Utica played there and had a b2b to Hersey during 'nucks b2b vs Flames). I don't really think its realistic to call someone who likely should be asleep from Albany/Hersey (at the end of the game, it would be 1am EST) all the way to Calgary in time to play the game. Basically you'll have a player who might make it just in time for puck drop vs a player who could be at morning skate."

This is the part of your post where I have the most trouble.

It would be late in Albany. Of course, after a game in California it would also be too late to fly out that night unless lucky enough to find a seat on a red eye flight to Calgary-not likely from any AHL West location. There would be no way to get a player from California to Calgary in time for a morning skate.

Further, you say Pedan would have arrived just in time to play the game. In fact posters have reported that the flight he would have taken arrived at 12:30 p.m., for an evening game. Inconvenient, but not so rushed. As another has already mentioned, if overtired, he could sleep on the plane. I'm guessing most of us have done that at some time or another.

4. I don't see a motivational or development value in having the Canucks close enough that players could take in the odd game without being called up (and I think you're being awfully optimistic in suggesting 20 games.)

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
1. "For starters, i didn't mention WD mostly because i don't believe he'll be the head coach when the move happens "

The reference to WD was in saying he chose not to call Pedan up even though it was possible to do so. Your saying WD won't be here in the future has nothing to do with that point.

2. You suggest it would be 50% the player to be called up would be in Vancouver rather than on the road.

That would mean you're assuming the Canucks place their farm team in the Vancouver area. I personally think that is a horrible idea.

AHL teams travel by bus. There are no AHL teams within a 16 hour bus ride of Vancouver. Putting a team in the lower mainland/Fraser Valley would mean horrendous travel for the Comets and be a travel problem for every team in the Western Division. Surely a development team should have development in mind. Having that much travel is not good for the players, despite your apparent thinking that it is better for them to learn how to sit on a bus for hours on end rather than work on their games.

3. "It would be late at night from Albany (Utica played there and had a b2b to Hersey during 'nucks b2b vs Flames). I don't really think its realistic to call someone who likely should be asleep from Albany/Hersey (at the end of the game, it would be 1am EST) all the way to Calgary in time to play the game. Basically you'll have a player who might make it just in time for puck drop vs a player who could be at morning skate."

This is the part of your post where I have the most trouble.

It would be late in Albany. Of course, after a game in California it would also be too late to fly out that night unless lucky enough to find a seat on a red eye flight to Calgary-not likely from any AHL West location. There would be no way to get a player from California to Calgary in time for a morning skate.

Further, you say Pedan would have arrived just in time to play the game. In fact posters have reported that the flight he would have taken arrived at 12:30 p.m., for an evening game. Inconvenient, but not so rushed. As another has already mentioned, if overtired, he could sleep on the plane. I'm guessing most of us have done that at some time or another.

4. I don't see a motivational or development value in having the Canucks close enough that players could take in the odd game without being called up (and I think you're being awfully optimistic in suggesting 20 games.)

1) I was referring to the option being there for the next coach. Basically having the option vs not having that option. We realistically did not have that option in the Flames back to back game regardless of rather or not WD would have wanted Pedan (or anyone else) here). And again the topic even suggest when the agreement with Utica ends, i think it might extend beyond that due to the simple fact we won't be good for a while and until we're good, the interest will remain relatively low (or until we actually have a high end prospect... we aren't tanking this year and if we keep getting pts, Benning won't be selling either).

2) The article mentioned BC and if the 'nucks were to move a team it'll likely be closer to Vancouver. That means it'll likely be somewhere in the lower mainland OR Cali (due to many other teams being there). Now if it was Cali, then realistically the team would be able to travel via bus just like in Utica. I don't there would be much fan support there so moving there wouldn't make a ton of sense but its possible (after all, Abs proved that a rival team doesn't actually get much support from the rival team's fans). After all Calgary moved their farm team to Stockton so the possibility exist (would be the same as 'nucks moving a team to Cali).

3) Point is you won't be waking up the player in the middle of the night meaning they'll have to fly in the morning. PST would mean the player wouldn't be asleep and could actually get a few hours sleep while flying. They could be at morning skate or skip it, but regardless the player likely has more time to prepare.

4) Your GM and decision makers being close means they can watch the player live. Now with the current group i doubt it makes much of a difference but a good management group would or should be able to evaluate our players better if they can actually watch them live more often (and easily). After all if the NHL team has an off day and the AHL team plays, it would only make sense for management to watch those games.

As far as 20 games per year, AHL schedule generally have most of their games around the weekend (Fri - Sun) so catching 20 games is possible due to being home during quite a few games during the week. Add to that 'nucks play a decent number of games in Cali and if the team moves, most of our AHL games will also be in Cali so there could be possible games (tho i guess in this case road games) that prospect could watch and spend with the team.

In terms of it being a motivation tool, i believe Linden even mentioned it for Jensen. Benning did it last year (remember the rotating door of players being called up to sit in the press box?) so its clear our current management group believes in having prospects up to "experience" the NHL atmosphere. I also used the Blue Jays as an example since it was in the news recently. Other teams (like Toronto) often also have prospects @ maple leafs games (again using Toronto mostly because they get more media coverage). Basically you see examples of this all over the NHL (and other sports) so a lot of people see some value of doing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad