Speculation: Canucks to move AHL affiliate to Lower Mainland after Utica agreement expires?

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
The Utica fans are great, it's clearly one of the best markets in the AHL. They deserve better than an afterthought of an AHL team. That's what the Comets have become since Benning took over. If they lose the Comets I'm sure they'll get another franchise, hopefully one that's deserving of such great fans.

I will never voluntarily go to Abbotsford, so its irrelevant to me if the farm team is there

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
50 players here this year. More PTO's than you can put on 2 hands and 2 feet. Not a single prospect except for Demko. Good luck.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The only reason to act soon would be Seattle coming in and taking Abbotsford out from under the Canucks. But is that really a big issue? Th flames tried and left in tears. I don't see seattle fairing any better, even if the are better liked. The optics would be unkind but that's all.

Reactions: Caspian

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The Utica fans are great, it's clearly one of the best markets in the AHL. They deserve better than an afterthought of an AHL team. That's what the Comets have become since Benning took over. If they lose the Comets I'm sure they'll get another franchise, hopefully one that's deserving of such great fans.

I will never voluntarily go to Abbotsford, so its irrelevant to me if the farm team is there
They went to Calder finals 3 years ago and are in playoffs this year compared to Canucks Utica is doing fine. I would like team at Pacific C. Though I am happy with Utica think players might come over more easily to play in Vancouver.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If they did come they should go into the Coliseum. Abbotsford is far.
Definitely play in the old Canuck’s house. The trouble is, for the players, it’s so insanely expensive to live in Vancouver. What about the Langley building? Still close, and cheaper for the players.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Canucks do nothing but stupid things, so leaving Utica would not even shock me at this point.
stupid like Detroit Carolina Philly Winnipeg LA Anaheim San Jose Dallas Toront Pittsburgh Arizona Montreal Ottawa who have all moved their teams into a close location to the big club, many in suburban areas of the city?

I would jump at the price point to watch the Comets in Abbotsford this spring as they go into the playoffs with Demko Lind Brisebois MacEwen Chatfield Boucher Goldobin Motte Jasek Weircioch Etc...

Why would it be stupid?

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Definitely play in the old Canuck’s house. The trouble is, for the players, it’s so insanely expensive to live in Vancouver. What about the Langley building? Still close, and cheaper for the players.
The Vancouver Giants (WHL) currently play there, after they moved from the Coliseum 2 years ago because it was too expensive to keep playing there. The other major tenant is the Vancouver Stealth (NLL team).

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
stupid like Detroit Carolina Philly Winnipeg LA Anaheim San Jose Dallas Toront Pittsburgh Arizona Montreal Ottawa who have all moved their teams into a close location to the big club, many in suburban areas of the city?

I would jump at the price point to watch the Comets in Abbotsford this spring as they go into the playoffs with Demko Lind Brisebois MacEwen Chatfield Boucher Goldobin Motte Jasek Weircioch Etc...

Why would it be stupid?

Maybe read the thread?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe read the thread?
I did and as usual it's a bunch of painful whining from either everything is stupid posters or people in Utica and Prince George not being fans of the move.

Teams for the last 5 years have been making moves in this direction. It makes both marketing and economic sense for the fanbase and has it's share of advantages for the Canucks as well. No junior teams are in Abbotsford at the higher levels and the the Arena is a plug and play scenario where people with families can afford to watch good professional hockey at affordable price points.

Am i missing something??

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I did and as usual it's a bunch of painful whining from either everything is stupid posters or people in Utica and Prince George not being fans of the move.

Teams for the last 5 years have been making moves in this direction. It makes both marketing and economic sense for the fanbase and has it's share of advantages for the Canucks as well. No junior teams are in Abbotsford at the higher levels and the the Arena is a plug and play scenario where people with families can afford to watch good professional hockey at affordable price points.

Am i missing something??

Yes.

Most teams are not in Vancouver.

The other teams you listed are in other locations. For example, Toronto is in Toronto. The clue was in the name.

Reactions: racerjoe

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
What is more beneficial, players travelling short distances to games, a passionate home crowd and long distances on the rare call up/send down. Plus team saving money on all travel expenses.

Or players travelling long distances to games, with a who knows crowd, and short distances on the rare call up/send down. Plus team spending huge money on travel

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I wonder if the move west is being encouraged at the league level to help grow the game. Cheaper tix in smaller cities would make the game more accessible.

I'm fine with coming west if they decide to do that. I'm also fine witg staying in Utica. I think there's pros and cons to both. Don't really want them to come to the Lower Mainland/ Fraser Valley though. Would prefer Oregon or California to be closer ti the other westcoast AHL teams. Being in Victoria I wouldn't take the ferry and drive to Abby just to see minor league hockey so where they are located isnt a big deal to me.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
What is more beneficial, players travelling short distances to games, a passionate home crowd and long distances on the rare call up/send down. Plus team saving money on all travel expenses.

Or players travelling long distances to games, with a who knows crowd, and short distances on the rare call up/send down. Plus team spending huge money on travel

One nice thing about the previous regime was that instead of arguing over stuff like this based on our guts, they actually approached the question analytically, and had smart people crunch the numbers. Gillis and Gilman studied the data, and found that it was more beneficial to have the team in Utica. Unless someone can post contradicting data, this discussion is fruitless.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

Whats beneficial is having as good a development scenario for the players as possible first and then the economic potential of having a larger segment of your potential fanbase invested in your product.

6 teams are now out west and Seattle may have another soon. Times have changed since the Heat days

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Am i missing something??

You know that AHL teams usually take the bus right? Now look at a map. Everything else is small potato's, this is the fundamental reason why you don't bring the AHL team to the lower mainland. And if its not feasible to make your team local then Utica is as good a place as any.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You know that AHL teams usually take the bus right? Now look at a map. Everything else is small potato's, this is the fundamental reason why you don't bring the AHL team to the lower mainland. And if its not feasible to make your team local then Utica is as good a place as any.

Too there is no evidence that Abbotsford can support a hockey team. There is overwhelming evidence that Utica can support one.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Too there is no evidence that Abbotsford can support a hockey team. There is overwhelming evidence that Utica can support one.

True, but if not Abbotsford then people are talking about the Pacific Colosseum as well. Would be great to have the farm team playing there, but the same fundamental problem applies: too far from everywhere else.

...although I guess somehow Alaska of all places does have an ECHL team, how the hell does that even work?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes.

Most teams are not in Vancouver.

The other teams you listed are in other locations. For example, Toronto is in Toronto. The clue was in the name.
You think this is that big a deal......i do not.

The previous regime was trying to do this before Abbotsford city started making outrageous financial demands of the Canucks so this is not a Benning thing. While it may be a Aquilini thing it makes sense why teams are doing this and it's has huge financial benefits to the franchise .

I fail to see how 1-2 yrs of developing in Utica is going to adversely affect the top young players coming to the Canucks and the others should be happy to play pro hockey and get paid handsomely to do so. The few extra days off and practises is not gonna be a big deal and the Airport location is pretty sweet for incoming flights as well.

Utica has 6-7 teams within a 2 hr bus ride the Canucks would have the same travel by air to California(5) Tuscon Winnipeg and Iowa roughly.

How Much Longer Should the Canucks Keep Their AHL Franchise in Utica?

Nov 1, 2011
As far as I know the Canucks have actually been asking cities in the lower mainland to build a new rink.

Too bad that they waited in until after Surrey already started construction on their new complex.

NOTE: I'd prefer the farm stay in Utica but don't think the team would.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
True, but if not Abbotsford then people are talking about the Pacific Colosseum as well. Would be great to have the farm team playing there, but the same fundamental problem applies: too far from everywhere else.

...although I guess somehow Alaska of all places does have an ECHL team, how the hell does that even work?
Alaska folded after last year. It was the Canucks affialiate in the ECHL last year before they folded and now Kalamazoo is back to being the Canucks ECHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->