Speculation: Canucks to move AHL affiliate to Lower Mainland after Utica agreement expires?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Yeah, especially since our prospect pool is garbage I can't imagine many Canucks fans going to watch our AHL team if it was in BC. The travel would also be pretty rough compared to playing out East. I would happily keep them in Utica.

They're likely far better off in Utica. Moving to the lower mainland would give them a quick PR boost, though.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Good for the canucks, bad for Utica (duh)

This relationship between Utica and Vancouver wasn't going to last, just too far away.

Utica does deserve a team though, so I hope they strike a deal with some of other team to make sure Utica gets a team. Maybe the canucks can help them get another AHL team?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Given how terrible the AHL team I doubt I'd even go if I was given free tickets and if it was in Abbotsford. This market can barely support a bad NHL team, never mind a terrible AHL team.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
I'd honestly rather them stay in Utica. They have a great fanbase and under Henning they were a top notch affiliate.

I don't think a team in Abbotsford will be a great draw. I honestly can't be bothered to see the Nucks play for $25 tix. Doubt casual fans will be hyped for AHL games.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Its a bad move until more teams move out west. They are in a great spot right now. They need to have the time to practice.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Only way I see there being significant interest is if there's actually prospects to watch there. I'm talking the Demko, Boeser, Juolevi types not the Stewart's, or AHL scrubs like Megna, Chaput.

Location wise I almost want to think they'd select Abbotsford and get a team back in there. It would also get fans that can't get to Canucks games another option.

Side note , how would this affect travel time for callups on the road ? I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I cNt remember specifics.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
They're likely far better off in Utica. Moving to the lower mainland would give them a quick PR boost, though.

I expect them to move their AHL team west, but not to BC.

All of the Pacific teams team except Arizona have their AHL team in California. San Diego, Ontario, Bakersfield, Stockton, and San Jose. Arizona has theirs in Tuscon.

So, the logical move is to aim for somewhere like Sacramento, long Beach where for IHL ice dogs used to play. Maybe Fresno.

Expect Vegas to setup their AHL team in California as well.

Also, AHL teams play most of their games within their division, so they would be mostly traveling in California.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Only way I see there being significant interest is if there's actually prospects to watch there. I'm talking the Demko, Boeser, Juolevi types not the Stewart's, or AHL scrubs like Megna, Chaput.

Location wise I almost want to think they'd select Abbotsford and get a team back in there. It would also get fans that can't get to Canucks games another option.

Side note , how would this affect travel time for callups on the road ? I'm sure it's been talked about before, but I cNt remember specifics.

My guess is that Boeser and Juolevi don't touch the AHL, even if it could help them. They'd have to go full Virtanen for that to happen.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Hope not. I guess there are a few more teams out in the West now, but still the travel time and costs are much tougher for a minor league team out here. Not to mention, as a developmental league practice time is imperative and gets drastically reduced with all the extra travel. Quick call-ups are nice and all, but not more important than the development of the young players.

That doesn't even get into the level of fan support that they are likely not going to get in a crowded Vancouver hockey marketplace. There's already the Canucks who have seen reduced demand, but also a WHL team in Langley, and the BCHL competing for that family-friendly demographic. The players have had great things to say about the fan support in Utica in a small, intimate arena that is always sold out (or close to it). It helps make them enjoy their experience in the AHL rather than sulk.

Last edited:

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
WHY!?!?! Utica has been the perfect affiliate location.

Huge fan presence, away from the Vancouver spotlights, less travel in the Eastern timezone.

Brutal.

Reactions: Index

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Yeah, especially since our prospect pool is garbage I can't imagine many Canucks fans going to watch our AHL team if it was in BC. The travel would also be pretty rough compared to playing out East. I would happily keep them in Utica.

The Canucks have been testing out the viability of support for an AHL level team in Vancouver for a couple of years now. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Weylspin

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
The Canucks have been testing out the viability of support for an AHL level team in Vancouver for a couple of years now. :sarcasm:

t0WRW.gif

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Add me to the list that thinks this is a terrible idea:

1) Utica could not be more supportive of the team there- Great partner
2) Utica is in a great location to practice and travel to games
3) Utica is outside of the glare of a big hockey market where players can get down to the business of getting better
4) There is no chance that the Lower Mainland supports an AHL team to the level of Utica. Empty stands is no place for young players to develop either- Utica is a fantastic environment

This would be a colossal mistake for all involved (unless Utica found a better NHL partner- then it is a good idea for them).

Reactions: Index

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad