Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
If he legit makes Abby, fantastic. But don't want to see him with the JrNucks just because he was the first draft pick of the Abbotsford era.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Depending on how well he can communicate with coaching staff is pretty important, I'm not sure if I'd want to send him the the Quebec league, he'd be alone on an island over there. KHL and AHL are similar level leagues, it might be better to be brought into NA lifestyle playing with mature adult pros over junior hockey teenagers.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
lmao. Is this a preseason game, or line rushes in practice? :laugh:

KHL pre-season but its more like tryouts.

I'd compare it to rookie showcase tournment which had been held in Penticton in previous years.

It looks like Thrilla- Danila is head and shoulders above KHL hopefuls.

Interesting note:

Benning on his presser yesterday said he has spoken with Dinamo Minsk who expressed that Danila would be a top 6 forward for them and would be given mintes should he choose KHL route

I ink Canucks are hesitant and wants all the control which is why they signed him to an ELC.

They are probably not thrilled with how Podkolzin was dinked around in SKA St Petersburgh

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I wasn't aware that players who've already signed an entry level contract in the NHL can basically be loaned to a KHL team. But that seems to be the case with Klimovich, because Benning also alluded to the fact that staying in the KHL is an option for him.

If the coaching staff at Dynamo Minks is to be believed, Klimovich is ready for a top-six role with the KHL team. If he can stick it out as a legit top-six winger in the KHL as an 18-year old, then that're pretty special. Not even Podkolzin accomplished that.

But you'd think that if he's ready for the KHL, he certainly would also be capable to playing regularly for the Abby Canucks in the AHL.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the NHL/AHL stuff is a bit overblown - this is all about having control over him after the Podkolzin/Tryamkin experience and he'll wind up in the Q.

Reactions: FroshaugFan2

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If and if is a huge IF he can play ok in the AHL at 18 they he will be a top 6 forward with 2 years. If he can do this he should have went in the first half of the first round. I doubt he can do that but I like the rumours of ready for top 6 minutes in the KHL. I also like he is playing now right after signing a contract. He loves to score shows a lot of emotion. Never know? I guess going from Ramond 2006 to Demko in 2014 to Hoglander 2019 it seems to early to get lucky with a second round pick again, but since we only have them every 2nd year it is good to hit on them.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
People said Hoglander had the best puck skills in his draft maybe it is something Canucks are targeting.
I mean, I never watch or judge what happens at the draft anymore because I don’t watch or follow junior levels but I like the optics post-draft already.

KHL coach promising top six ice time, is drafted to the Q, we can use him in Abbotsford or he shocks the world and makes it.

They have options. Whether they pick the right option is up to them. I doubt he goes back to Russia after Podkolzin was on the 4th line/scratched.

AHL wouldn’t be a bad environment considering they’ve added a lot of good players.

Reactions: MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Always surprises me how draft year scouting reports seem to follow players around like a bad smell, for no other reason than a lot of people repeat them.

Based on those highlights, if skating is concern for Klimovich I'm just not seeing it. Looked to be one of the most dynamic players out there. Yet all the draft analysis seem to list 'skating' as something he has to work on.

Reactions: Catamarca Livin

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Always surprises me how draft year scouting reports seem to follow players around like a bad smell, for no other reason than a lot of people repeat them.

Based on those highlights, if skating is concern for Klimovich I'm just not seeing it. Looked to be one of the most dynamic players out there. Yet all the draft analysis seem to list 'skating' as something he has to work on.

Of course his skating does need to improve, as does almost every 18 year old to be successful in the nhl, but it seem to be a fall back criticism. It seems like if there is not a obvious flaw and they are not dynamic skaters then skating will be mentioned. Seeing the highlights he looks like Petr Bondra a bit. wicked shot and strong drives to the net. How is his playmaking? Maybe we can go through the 3 stages of Podz, skating choppy, bad passer, and lastly weak shot. Suddenly his skating is good, he is a play maker, and he is blowing shots past pro goalies. Now it is why is he not producing more maybe bad hockey IQ. I am sure this player has to improve multiple areas but sometimes players just develop fast and unexpectedly. Hope he is one of them.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Ok, how big is this kid? EP has him 6’1” 187 pounds. Dobbber Prospects has him at 6’2” 202. In either case, he is a big 18 year old who can skate, and has an NHL level shot already. Another sleeper like Hoglander?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ok, how big is this kid? EP has him 6’1” 187 pounds. Dobbber Prospects has him at 6’2” 202. In either case, he is a big 18 year old who can skate, and has an NHL level shot already. Another sleeper like Hoglander?
Hoglander was a first round talent who slipped to the second round basically because of his size. Klimovich slipped into the second round because he played his hockey in Belarus, and nobody had even heard of him until he burst on to the scene at the 8-18's.

It would be something if the Canucks 'hit' on both these guys and they became NHL stars out of the second round.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
It would be quite something for the Canucks scouting staff if he turned out as good as Hoglander.

The Canucks haven't done poorly in the 2nd round, everyone has at least become a good AHLer. Shame all those picks were wasted.

I recall the days of Yann Sauve, Alex Mallet, and Taylor Ellington. We've sure had our share of misses in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
I'm gunna assume that Belarusian and Russian are mutually intelligible but I don't know to what degree. :laugh:

Your assumption is correct. Belarusian and Russian are mutually intelligible, and they both appear to be official languages of Belarus.

Belarusian is like Russian, but with more Polish sounding words. Though most Belarusians speak Russian and Belarusian is not really used so he should be fine.

Reactions: vanarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad