Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This is where signing a player early who barely develops comes back to bite you.

It was baffling to have him jump to AHL instead of two years in the QMJHL (where his CHL were) in the first place.

Was the wrong pick then, and it was the wrong pick now.
Have to agree...really wanted Stankoven, but Jimbo (and his crew) swung for the fences based on a very strong U18 performance...they probably thought he was more physically mature than he actually was.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Have to agree...really wanted Stankoven, but Jimbo (and his crew) swung for the fences based on a very strong WJC performance...they probably thought he was more physically mature than he actually was.

The thing was, Stankoven had an equally (or more) impressive U18s (they were both at U18s not U20 aka WJC) playing in a secondary role for Canada.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The thing was, Stankoven had an equally (or more) impressive U18s (they were both at U18s not U20 aka WJC) playing in a secondary role for Canada.
Probably just enamored with Klimovich's size over Stankoven...lots of teams passed on the better player probably just due to his size. Amazing that its still a consideration this day in age, but I guess it shouldn't be with all the dinosaurs still in the scouting world.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hindsight 20/20 post. You have to remember he came from Belarus and could have really used the money?

He was doing fine under Colliton and working with Higgins the Sedins etc.

He's still got a ton of runway to make improvements it's just he's making 80k playing 70 games getting concussed when he can cash in a little and continue to work on his game in the KHL. Cost of living is a lot in the lower mainland and he's already married and maybe starting a family. Don't know the details but if he gets 300-400k and his expenses covered that's a massive financial step that gives him some breathing room

i liked the pick. Too bad about the set backs and lack of development in puck decisions as his skills are unreal

I'm sure lots of prospects could use the money. But you have to put players in the right place to maximize their development, and they essentially ramped an 18 year old who had been playing Jr. B hockey straight into the AHL where he was hopelessly out of his depth in terms of defensive play and puck management and it has predictably failed.

New management has to wear part of this as well for not correcting the process.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I'm sure lots of prospects could use the money. But you have to put players in the right place to maximize their development, and they essentially ramped an 18 year old who had been playing Jr. B hockey straight into the AHL where he was hopelessly out of his depth in terms of defensive play and puck management and it has predictably failed.

Just another example of how players have a ceiling and a floor, and if you put players in shitty situations, it really hampers their ability to learn and grow and therefore lowers their total ceiling. Too late of a correction and the prospect is basically a write off..

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Probably just enamored with Klimovich's size over Stankoven...lots of teams passed on the better player probably just due to his size. Amazing that its still a consideration this day in age, but I guess it shouldn't be with all the dinosaurs still in the scouting world.
Size is not the be all and end all anymore, but the makeup of a team cannot be without it. Size on the back end is still an absolute necessity. But without clutching and grabbing, the small forwards are more free to roam, it's just an extra dimension to give a guy to Tocchet that plays like him.

Reactions: Nomobo

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004

I don't know if that's entirely fair, he looked pretty good in prospects camp and in the pre-season before they assigned him to the AHL. Perhaps they should have course corrected after his first season but it's pretty hard to send a player to junior after being in the AHL. This could have been his breakout year.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not taking Stankoven was an absolute miss. Taking a kid based on one tournament was dumb. Benning persistenly took players trying to hit a home run to prove himself and compensate for the stupid things he has already done. Rather than doing the sensible and the obvious, he went for an outlier to show he could undercover a hidden gem no one else, but him, had recognized.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just a year of total frustration for Klimovich so far.......I think he might have been in concussion protocol, although the Canucks aren't saying.

Every once and awhile you see the potential that makes him so tantalizing. The size, the shot and some filthy dangles. But then at other times he's so quiet out there you have to check to program to confirm he was actually on the ice.

Canucks will be patient....who choice to they have?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Klimovich was not rated in the top 120 picks in the 2021 draft.

Strangely Ty Mueller was, the player the Canucks took as an overage in the 2023; passed over until 2 drafts later.

Every year after the 1st round the Amateur scouts are a collective failure.

They sometime find a random player outside the top 32 but this is so inconsistent as to be just background noise.

It is amazing that with their large budget they haven't effectively used predictive tools to make their draft picks: the "gut guys" win regardless of what they yammer on about using analytics.

In addition to being a draft failure Klimovitch lack of development is an indictment of their so called Development model. It could probably be statistically proven that Klimovitch was better in his first two years before MJ really got a hold of him.

Their pro scouting is excellent and obscure their overall failure in drafting and developing players.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Klimovich was not rated in the top 120 picks in the 2021 draft.

Strangely Ty Mueller was, the player the Canucks took as an overage in the 2023; passed over until 2 drafts later.

Every year after the 1st round the Amateur scouts are a collective failure.

They sometime find a random player outside the top 32 but this is so inconsistent as to be just background noise.

It is amazing that with their large budget they haven't effectively used predictive tools to make their draft picks: the "gut guys" win regardless of what they yammer on about using analytics.

In addition to being a draft failure Klimovitch lack of development is an indictment of their so called Development model. It could probably be statistically proven that Klimovitch was better in his first two years before MJ really got a hold of him.

Their pro scouting is excellent and obscure their overall failure in drafting and developing players.

Oh, okay.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Smooth move, so they were wrong and the Hockey News was right.
"Our prospect expert releases his picks for a draft that promises chaos and surprises"

It's right under the title. Good grief.

Anyway, it's funny that you didn't have a problem with the pick until like two years later.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
I didn't have a problem with the pick and still don't. You could clearly see how raw he was but the upside was extremely tantalizing. He had elite shot, good hands, size, and he played with edge and bit of a snarl (which you can't really teach). What I am really troubled by is there decision to bring him over to the AHL so early. His overall game wasn't on par with the league but the tools created a facade of adequacy. A lesser league , bigger role, and more offensive minutes to really grow overall would've been much better suited for a prospect like Klimovich (boom/bust). Obviously I don't have any real clue about what he and his agent wanted versus what management wanted so that could've been a huge factor.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I didn't have a problem with the pick and still don't. You could clearly see how raw he was but the upside was extremely tantalizing. He had elite shot, good hands, size, and he played with edge and bit of a snarl (which you can't really teach). What I am really troubled by is there decision to bring him over to the AHL so early. His overall game wasn't on par with the league but the tools created a facade of adequacy. A lesser league , bigger role, and more offensive minutes to really grow overall would've been much better suited for a prospect like Klimovich (boom/bust). Obviously I don't have any real clue about what he and his agent wanted versus what management wanted so that could've been a huge factor.
"Our prospect expert releases his picks for a draft that promises chaos and surprises"

It's right under the title. Good grief.

Anyway, it's funny that you didn't have a problem with the pick until like two years later.

I assume that none of us are paid 5 or 6 figures as Canucks Amateur scouts to predict the future performance of undrafted players with superior accuracy compared to Fans and Central Scouting but if you are, then you failed your job performance review.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Not a fan of this player. Imo he’s never going to grie into snd NHLer. Too many holes in his play off the puck. Had hoped by accept now this guy is a Euro League player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad