Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Watching the clips I can find, he has some flash and a nice shot, but looks very raw and like he lacks hockey sense. Stick with my original feeling that we really blew it letting Pinelli slip to LA as he has very high offensive potential along with a polished two-way game and great hockey IQ. Would have also much rather picked Stankoven as well. Time will tell I guess, but I really don't like picking toolsy players who lack hockey IQ.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Having the farm team in greater Vancouver is going to make all the difference in the world in this regard. Players are actually going to want to play here, instead of feeling like they were shipped off to Siberia.

we actually have a guy in siberia. and tryamkin is pretty close.

Reactions: Lindgren

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I just really don't understand why Vancouver didn't feel they could trade back 5-10 spots, pick up a 3rd/4th, and still grab Klimovich. Just feels like there was value lost when so many other teams were sliding back and picking up so many extra swings at the draft and we specifically passed on some pretty solid talents, many of whom also had really fantastic U18s, the one place they seem to put way too much stock into this year.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Would have been nice to gain some value by trading down for him but I think with so many teams picking off the board, they got scared of losing out on him.

Benning just can't seem to get value when he really wants something badly.

Either way, I've moved on. I'm hopeful for this guy the more I watch of him.

Feb 19, 2018
I just really don't understand why Vancouver didn't feel they could trade back 5-10 spots, pick up a 3rd/4th, and still grab Klimovich. Just feels like there was value lost when so many other teams were sliding back and picking up so many extra swings at the draft and we specifically passed on some pretty solid talents, many of whom also had really fantastic U18s, the one place they seem to put way too much stock into this year.
If that’s your guy you take him. Maybe they thought he was a clear first round talent.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I just really don't understand why Vancouver didn't feel they could trade back 5-10 spots, pick up a 3rd/4th, and still grab Klimovich.

He wasn't an unknown commodity that no one else would likely pick. Even the Hockey News in their draft preview issue had him listed as an "x-factor", a "likely hidden gem with big league potential despite being rough around the edges", and note that he's "very skilled and lethal on the power play". If a newsstand magazine knew about his potential over a month ago, the other GMs did too.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Watching the clips I can find, he has some flash and a nice shot, but looks very raw and like he lacks hockey sense. Stick with my original feeling that we really blew it letting Pinelli slip to LA as he has very high offensive potential along with a polished two-way game and great hockey IQ. Would have also much rather picked Stankoven as well. Time will tell I guess, but I really don't like picking toolsy players who lack hockey IQ.
It seems like we are allergic to CHL. Not since Horvat have we drafted a successful CHL player to be a regular for us.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Does he lack IQ? I thought he was good at getting in scoring areas?

I haven't seen him or watched much video, but the reports have me liking it. Looks like he's got an awesome shot & I like that he plays with an edge. We'll have to see.

mratch19

Jul 27, 2010
Vancouver
i mean.. i feel like chibrikov or stankoven was a super easy pick after scott morrow got taken... i was super confused with the pick. happy to be proven wrong but my goodness i would have loved Stankoven in a canucks uni!

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
"Klimovich is a highly creative goal scoring forward with an NHL caliber shot and a compete level that is off the charts. He also knows how to finish his chances, which is something that can elude a lot of players striving to be consistent offensive producers. All in all, he has all the skills of a top line forward, which makes it hard to believe that we are just discovering him a couple of months away from the draft. I guess if he was playing in a more prominent league like the KHL or MHL, we probably would have known about him sooner.
All in all, Klimovich’s name is one to keep an eye on, as he could become a steal in the first few rounds. North America could be seeing more of him in the coming seasons too, as he was drafted in the 2020 CHL Import Draft by the QMJHL’s Rouyn-Noranda. If he does ultimately come over from Belarus, I’m sure he will quickly become a household name, that is, if he isn’t already."
https://thehockeywriters.com/danila-klimovich-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Very optimistic take, but looking forward to finding out more.

sounds a lot like what we hoped for Virtanen

Reactions: clay

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
I had convinced myself that we would be taking William Stromgren with the 2nd rounder. I thought that our strong regional scouting, the fact that he was from the Sedin's hometown, his hands, skating and size, apparent promotion to the SHL - all would come together to make him a Canuck pick.

I was wrong. Again.

And now I am interested to watch the VAN/CAL - Klimovich/Stromgren development paths.

I am hopeful for our pick. Again. Go go Klimo!

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Stylistically, he reminds me of Niklas Jensen. Or if I'm being generous, Eric Daze. Will be interesting to see if his playstyle translates to the Q (assuming that's where he ends up next season).

He reminds me of Jaskin.

Doesn't strike me agile or explosive enough.. yet. A lil too lumbering. He should be a project a yr or two away. (but playing on the big ice usually exacerbates that perception)... so we'll see.

Last edited:

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Belarus is a mess. Their president Alexander Lukashenko is very similar to Viktor Orban and Vladimir Putin. There were widespread protests over a his disputed win for a 6th term in office and the crackdown was really ugly. It's the same country that illegally grounded that Ryan Air flight to make off with a dissident journalist.

Not saying he's not a flight risk to the KHL. He may well be, but things are not great at home.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Between UFA's and RFA's they didn't qualify, Canucks have an abundance of contract slots, particularly for a kid who likely ends up in junior hockey. They might send him Abbotsford, but if can make the Baby Canucks as an 18-year old, then he really would be a special player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad