Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign F Danila Klimovich to ELC

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Big 6'2 200 pound forward who can stick handle in a phone booth. Yes please

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Big 6'2 200 pound forward who can stick handle in a phone booth. Yes please

First in goals per game at WJC and third overall goals scored. He can be an effective player in the bottom six if his scoring doesn't translate.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
WElllll those of you that were saying he's a risk to not come over cus Russians never come over so let's not draft him................I believe that's 2 this year now..

Also for those of you that wanted high upside picks shoot for the moon type pics......I think this guy is that criteria to a T.

He certainly seems like an eager young man. Really interested to see where he ends up this year. If he can make and play on our farm team this year it bodes very well for his future.

Reactions: salo franchise

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
WElllll those of you that were saying he's a risk to not come over cus Russians never come over so let's not draft him................I believe that's 2 this year now..

Also for those of you that wanted high upside picks shoot for the moon type pics......I think this guy is that criteria to a T.

He certainly seems like an eager young man. Really interested to see where he ends up this year. If he can make and play on our farm team this year it bodes very well for his future.
Glad to see Klimovich signed, sealed and delivered.....but realistically, the 'Russian factor' really isn't at play for players from Belarus. The Russian Ice Hockey Federation likes to keep its players at home; and playing for the national teams and in the KHL.

But of course Klimovich isn't eligible to play for any Russian teams....and I think the hockey officials in Belarus would be delighted to see a player from their country make a success of it in N.A.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Glad to see Klimovich signed, sealed and delivered.....but realistically, the 'Russian factor' really isn't at play for players from Belarus. The Russian Ice Hockey Federation likes to keep its players at home; and playing for the national teams and in the KHL.

But of course Klimovich isn't eligible to play for any Russian teams....and I think the hockey officials in Belarus would be delighted to see a player from their country make a success of it in N.A.

I wouldn't know how Belarusan players would think about coming over personally however I do tend to view him as very close to Russian seeing as they were part of the Soviet Union up until 30 years ago (which i guess is a while now.........dang I'm getting old).

Anyhoo he does seem to be stoked to be here - I'm stoked for that and to see how he ends up. Our cupboards are horribly bare atm and def. could use restocking.

TBS

May 10, 2021
They are probably not thrilled with how Podkolzin was dinked around in SKA St Petersburgh
Podkolzin in SKA St Petersburgh and Klimovich in Dinamo Minsk are not the same situations and even almost nothing common.
Podkolzin is Russian player but Russia have enough strong prospekts apart from him. So their development is not so important aim for Russian KHL clubs. Especially in SKA, which is the main contender on championship in the KHL each year.
Belarus doesn't have so much strong prospects as Russia. And Belarusian KHL club Dinamo doesn't have enough money to become real contender. So they much more focused on development their best prospects for National team.
Also important difference in one more thing. SKA coach from Russia so they use Russian style. And in Minsk head coach from Canada.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Ryan O'Reilly was a 2nd round pick that started in the NHL immediately after being drafted. I need to see him in training camp because highlights make anybody look good. Appears to be a better hockey player than Virtanen who was a regular last season.

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
Strengths:
  • Massively confident, fearless, high effort at both ends of the ice, quick reflexes, good stickhandling and shot, decent offensive foresight and problem solving
Weaknesses:
  • Below average skating (but it appears like it's mostly flawed technique?), spotty decision making ie. often chooses to over stick handle past his ability
It's clear that there are elements of rawness in his technique and decision making, and unless he shows immediate progress I'm sure a bunch of people will be quick to say that's because of 'low iq' or 'inability to learn'. And alternatively we might have another round of hoping he 'finally gets it' year after year.

Canucks are definitely betting that the lack of experience/exposure/education is masking his true potential. At the very least his motor is high and if his skating gets sorted out he should be a useful NHLer. And then if his decision making also gets sorted, that's a top 6er on most teams. At least Green has experience with helping young guys improve that part of their game. Definitely feels like the Canucks are starting to learn that trying to improve a player's 'motor' is a trap (a costly lesson of a 6th overall and a 5th overall pick).

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

The way he winds up here and rushes into the offensive zone reminds me the same plays that Mackinnon does. To he say has "below average skating" is idiotic.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

The way he winds up here and rushes into the offensive zone reminds me the same plays that Mackinnon does. To he say has "below average skating" is idiotic.

His stride and technique is clunky, I suspect you’ll see his skating improve overall as he gets better coaches to work with

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I wouldn't know how Belarusan players would think about coming over personally however I do tend to view him as very close to Russian seeing as they were part of the Soviet Union up until 30 years ago (which i guess is a while now.........dang I'm getting old).

Anyhoo he does seem to be stoked to be here - I'm stoked for that and to see how he ends up. Our cupboards are horribly bare atm and def. could use restocking.
He's from Belarus, he probably wants to get the f*** out ASAP. Idk if you are familiar with the politics going on in Belarus but it isn't exactly going well there.

Feb 19, 2018
Looks like Leivo as a floor to me, even the way he moves a bit. Big shot and good hands, hopefully he develops and explodes after being drafted and signed. If he is confident then it should be at an all time high at this point.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Pavel Bure if he was a power forward. Klimovich is going to be a stud. Is he a natural center?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
At least we have a player we can stat watch in Abbotsford. Let him go straight to the AHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I'm with you....every time I see the kid on Youtube, he's jetting through the neutral zone. Of course 'conventional wisdom' was that Podkolzin's skating needed work as well.

I think some of these scouting reports on line are mindless 'pap' from people simply repeating what they heard on Twitter. I mean every 18-year old kid can improve their skating.....but that doesn't mean they were 'below average' to begin with.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I'm with you....every time I see the kid on Youtube, he's jetting through the neutral zone. Of course 'conventional wisdom' was that Podkolzin's skating needed work as well.

I think some of these scouting reports on line are mindless 'pap' from people simply repeating what they heard on Twitter. I mean every 18-year old kid can improve their skating.....but that doesn't mean they were 'below average' to begin with.

The problem also lies within the "bad skating" narrative, for some reason even if one person says it, it sticks like glue and then the narrative takes a life on its own.

Reactions: Braeden

WishfulThinker

Jun 10, 2021
It doesn't take a super scout to see that his skating is below average for the NHL. A 'beer league' equivalent clip of him already skating around the net while the opposing player is spacing out doesn't really change much.

I still like the guy and think there's room for his skating to improve but the NHL is the fastest league in the world, and even guys who look 'good' skating against their peers in lesser leagues can look slow in the NHL.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
“The size, the skills, the hockey sense are all there for him to be an offensive producing player and he’s consistent in his approach. He’s got NHL speed and competes hard. Now, he does have a flair for the dramatic at times, but that’s good. It means he’s confident, but, every shift, he’s first on pucks, always going to the net and he’s got that knack to be open and available to get that shot off. He’s on the top line and is the top scorer and he’s one of the first forwards coming back on the play.” – Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting

"A creative goal-scoring pivot with a heavy shot and swift skating". - Danila Klimovich Dobber Prospects

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

I havnt seen much from the kid but he definitely looks to have "clunky" skating. I'm sure NHL skating coaches can help him out. He looks like he generates good power though.... just not the smooth stride lol

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
“The size, the skills, the hockey sense are all there for him to be an offensive producing player and he’s consistent in his approach. He’s got NHL speed and competes hard. Now, he does have a flair for the dramatic at times, but that’s good. It means he’s confident, but, every shift, he’s first on pucks, always going to the net and he’s got that knack to be open and available to get that shot off. He’s on the top line and is the top scorer and he’s one of the first forwards coming back on the play.” – Dan Marr, director of NHL Central Scouting

"A creative goal-scoring pivot with a heavy shot and swift skating". - Danila Klimovich Dobber Prospects

:shockedpikachuface:

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019
Great pick and with him signed the Canucks can do more on his development. He won’t be on the team this year but he looks like a kid who will give it every effort to make it to the big team. Hope to see him in 2022 but even that might be a stretch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad