Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I wonder if we could send a 2nd to Seattle, or a good prospect, in a few years to ensure they select him? Would be a very good move by the next GM imo.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
LOL.

What if we ended up sweetening any future Tyler Myers salary dump by giving the other team a 1st and Boeser?

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
LOL.

What if we ended up sweetening any future Tyler Myers salary dump by giving the other team a 1st and Boeser?

I don’t think that’s necessary. A 2nd, decent prospect or perhaps a 2nd loner will suffice. That should be a top priority of the next GM imo.

member 290103

"Alex Biega is a better defenseman than Tyler Myers."

(yes - someone actually said that on here). :shakehead:

I don't know if that was said, but what was said is that what Myers brings in addition to what Biega brings is marginal. If you go to the Jet's fan forum, there are hardly any fans there sorry to see him go. That's telling.

Reactions: DarrenX

member 290103

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Eh, I was being sarcastic.

Myers is an OK defenceman, can put up half decent points, but cannot skate nor defend well. His mobility will only get worse as he ages.

The slimeball owners are probably too cheap to just bury highly paid but lousy players in the minors, but pawning off 1st round picks and star players like Boeser should only occur in exchange for star players coming back.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I don't know if that was said, but what was said is that what Myers brings in addition to what Biega brings is marginal. If you go to the Jet's fan forum, there are hardly any fans there sorry to see him go. That's telling.
Cripes! Now people are saying he’s a marginal upgrade to Biega????
Let’s at least be realistic here.
There’s mixed views on the Jets forum. Most are glad they don’t have him at that contract but there were lots of positive comments too.
No question he’s overpaid.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

member 290103

Cripes! Now people are saying he’s a marginal upgrade to Biega????
Let’s at least be realistic here.
There’s mixed views on the Jets forum. Most are glad they don’t have him at that contract but there were lots of positive comments too.
No question he’s overpaid.

I remember similar, if not identical, comments about Gudbranson. Put it this way.....he's a big, mobile, right hand shot defenseman,in his prime. When he became available and every team in the NHL had a shot to get him, only 2 or 3 teams showed interest.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Brian Burke is a moron; this is among the dumbest things I’ve heard. I hope you aren’t using this comment as any justification because then I’d question your hockey knowledge also.

Myers is not as good as trouba. Full stop

My opinion of Myers is as follows: He's a 3.75. Not good enough to be considered a #3 defenseman, but slightly higher than a 4 given his skating ability, ability to make a solid first pass, shooting ability, and special teams.

I'm just showing others (that haven't been brainwashed by a certain Militant hockey blog in the lower mainland), that there are many reputable hockey pundits that have high regard for Myers (i.e. McLennan, Burke, Craig Button, Jeff "Pierogy" O'Neil, etc).

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Canucks are my hometown team. I grew up watching them, and I bonded with numerous friends and family members because of our shared love for sport.

At the same time, I despite the Aquilinis. So I'm OK with them overpaying for this giant pylon and treading water for the duration of his contract.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I remember similar, if not identical, comments about Gudbranson. Put it this way.....he's a big, mobile, right hand shot defenseman,in his prime. When he became available and every team in the NHL had a shot to get him, only 2 or 3 teams showed interest.
Look. I think Myers is a bad signing.
But his career to date is miles better than Gudbranson’s was when we acquired him.
I have no doubt that we significantly overpaid and it’s a deal I wouldn’t have made. I’m just responding to some of the over the top comments on him.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
But Gudbranson was also just 24 at the time of his signing with the Canucks.

Myers is 29 and his contract takes him to his 34th b-day. There's a chance he'll lose a lot of mobility in the meantime.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
My opinion of Myers is as follows: He's a 3.75. Not good enough to be considered a #3 defenseman, but slightly higher than a 4 given his skating ability, ability to make a solid first pass, shooting ability, and special teams.

I'm just showing others (that haven't been brainwashed by a certain Militant hockey blog in the lower mainland), that there are many reputable hockey pundits that have high regard for Myers (i.e. McLennan, Burke, Craig Button, Jeff "Pierogy" O'Neil, etc).

Your post says he’s as good as Trouba. If you post that it’s basically you agreeing with it considering you had nothing else in there.

Reactions: geebaan

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
So tell me why did you post that

I believe I already answered this question.

It was to show that there are hockey pundits (actually all/most), that believe that Myers is a 2nd pairing dman.......some believing that he's a '3' and some believing that he's a 4. @Peter10 asked me to provide proof of all of these "so-called" hockey pundits and so I was just snatching up some quotes as I read up more on Tyler Myers and the Canucks. I posted that particular quote to show that while some posters (on here) believe that Myers is a 3rd pairing dman, there are others out there with a polar opposite opinion.

You're obviously entitled to your own opinion with regards to my intentions.

I think Myers is a 3.75.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah, that Burke comment about Myers being as good as Trouba is something. We'll see I guess. He'll be in a much different situation here in Van as apposed to what he had in WPG.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
But Gudbranson was also just 24 at the time of his signing with the Canucks.

Myers is 29 and his contract takes him to his 34th b-day. There's a chance he'll lose a lot of mobility in the meantime.
Agreed. But Gudbranson never had a good season. He was simply a high draft draft pick that had never panned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad