Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Second best D in free agency this year, it was either him or Gardiner. Had to grab someone for our D.

Being second best in a FA class doesn't mean much depending on the quality of that class, it's not like we're signing the 2nd best forward here. The problem is when you're forced to rely on what's available today to fill a need and you lock that player into a long term deal then you're stuck with that and won't have the room when something better comes along. And I don't think this is going to be enough to save Benning's job (make the playoffs), in which case he's going to leave the next guy starting with all these bad contracts and no 1st round pick in 2021.

Personally I'll be fair and withhold final judgment to see how well Myers fits in here, but I'm highly skeptical and the track record isn't very promising.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Toronto is a model franchise, to sit here and question how they're building their team while you defend the Canucks "rebuild" is absolutely hilarious. The Leafs brought Shanahan on board nearly the exact same time the Canucks brought Benning, in that span the Leafs have done a leaps and bound better job than the Canucks in building their team.

Florida under their analytics branch did good work, they traded two junk players to bad GM's for good returns. You always bash the Canucks army bloggers, but hilariously enough those bloggers paid a part in the Panthers absolutely fleecing the Panthers for Erik Gudbranson. It's been outlined so many teams and I hate the fact that I have to keep repeating it, but the Panthers that year were decimated by injury as their two best players Alex Barkov and Jonathan Huberdeau missed extensive time with injury.

When genius Dale Tallon took back charge of the team, they traded 2 first line players to retain a sub replacement level defender in the expansion draft..

I've never been a huge Chayka guy, I really liked the Hjalmarsson trade and think he did well in the Kessel deal I think they're in a similar position as Vancouver.

But again you're completely moving the goal posts on what's being discussed. What we're mentioning is moves the Canucks have made under their current
administration. In regards to the Canucks pro-scouting major moves, there's clear evidence that shows it's pretty much the same people arguing the same things and based on events that have transpired the "negatives" have been right on the money on how poorly constructed this team is, how poor the pro-scouting has been and how poorly the big acquisitions have been.

People don't have everything Jim Benning does, people dislike the players Jim Benning targets. Sutter had extremely poor analytics and had the some of the worst points/60 stats in the NHL, I didn't like the player or the cost. Gudbranson was prompted up by Brian Campbell and had bad underlying numbers without him. I still remember the "he played 25 minutes in the playoffs" arguments, I didn't like the player or the cost. Loui Eriksson was prompted up by playing with Bergeron and Marchand and the term on the contract looked poor at the time.

In all those threads we were perceived as "Benning haters" and "negative" it has nothing to do with that, it's about critically analyzing these players and contract and how they fir in relation to this team.

Myers played the easiest minutes of his career this year and was actually an effective offensive defender on the 3rd pair in Winnipeg. The Canucks don't have the defensive depth to do that, nor is 6 million a year anywhere near what a player who does that should be making.

You called Myers a #3 defender which absolutely boggles my mind, there's zero evidence that this player is anywhere near that. A #3 defender is an all situations player that can carry a 2nd pairing and move the needle as a strength on strength guy. Tyler Myers is not that, nowhere near. He's struggles exceptionally as a strength on strength guy. Last season Myers played the easy zone deployment on the Jets, the second easiest competition among Jets regular defenders and still had negative shot differentials. To conclude that this player is a #3 shows a clear bias on your part.

Hey yo,

Will respond to the rest of your post later (3:55 am here in the Jing!), but I’ll just say one thing:

I said Myers was a “3.75.” Not as high as a 3, but not quite a 4 either. Also - if some “Canucks Army” guys helped Florida make that Gudbranson to Vancouver trade, then I question as to why these guys even have “Canucks” in their name.

Lastly - I find it interesting that for a team (Canucks) that has supposedly made so many terrible moves, they’ve mysteriously trended in the right direction and have been on par with that of a rebuilding team. One often overlooked fact is that despite these Sutter, Eriksson, and Gudbranson trades not having panned out, the Canucks have always shown up to play hard almost every night even if they were outmatched. Developing character.......that is a thing.

One more point - when Benning and Shanahan took over their respective organizations back in 2014, do you think it’s *remotely* possible that Toronto had a few more young pieces in their line-up (hint - Reilly!!) than Vancouver? (Hint - non playoff team for many years!!!).

Cheers DJ.

Reactions: Nomobo and Numba9

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Being second best in a FA class doesn't mean much depending on the quality of that class, it's not like we're signing the 2nd best forward here. The problem is when you're forced to rely on what's available today to fill a need and you lock that player into a long term deal then you're stuck with that and won't have the room when something better comes along. And I don't think this is going to be enough to save Benning's job (make the playoffs), in which case he's going to leave the next guy starting with all these bad contracts and no 1st round pick in 2021.

Personally I'll be fair and withhold final judgment to see how well Myers fits in here, but I'm highly skeptical and the track record isn't very promising.

Loui Eriksson was still probably the second best forward of his fa class? Maybe?

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Not that bad maybe slight overpay but reasonable considering the UFA market .
Hopefully helps PP a player that is a threat from the point was a huge need and he does PK so should help the team played so many one goal games last year a few improvements in special teams would certainly help.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Hey yo,

Will respond to the rest of your post later (3:55 am here in the Jing!), but I’ll just say one thing:

I said Myers was a “3.75.” Not as high as a 3, but not quite a 4 either. Also - if some “Canucks Army” guys helped Florida make that Gudbranson to Vancouver trade, then I question as to why these guys even have “Canucks” in their name.

Lastly - I find it interesting that for a team (Canucks) that has supposedly made so many terrible moves, they’ve mysteriously trended in the right direction and have been on par with that of a rebuilding team. One often overlooked fact is that despite these Sutter, Eriksson, and Gudbranson trades not having panned out, the Canucks have always shown up to play hard almost every night even if they were outmatched. Developing character.......that is a thing.

One more point - when Benning and Shanahan took over their respective organizations back in 2014, do you think it’s *remotely* possible that Toronto had a few more young pieces in their line-up (hint - Reilly!!) than Vancouver? (Hint - non playoff team for many years!!!).

Cheers DJ.

They got hired by the Panthers and were no longer working with the Canucks.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Hey yo,

Cheers DJ.
I've seen you say Myers was a #3 will be quite happy if you changed your mind.

The Canucks Army guys were hired by the Panthers organization and played a role in the Erik Gudbranson fleecing.

The playing hard and character stuff is crap, you can find waiver wire joruneyman that add these values they correlate to absolutely nothing on the ice and it's frankly a coup out mentioning this stuff. They have young talent because that's how the NHL draft works.. If you're a bad team, you get high picks. Edmonton has good young talent, Florida has good young talent, Buffalo has good young talent etc. It's about surrounding those young players with good pieces, the Canucks under this regime has shown they are absolutely terrible at evaluating professional level NHL players.

Toronto traded their 2010 and 2011 first round picks for Phil Kessel, drafted Rielly in 2012 and made the playoffs in 2o13. They had the same amount of top 10 picks as Vancouver in that span. I really don't see how they were so far ahead, the Leafs had Rielly-Kadri-JVR and Vancouver had Horvat-Tanev-Edler. Pretty much in an identical situation.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
... I am a shining beacon of sanity on a forum full of antagonistic whiners bent on effectively defecating on every move this team makes regardless of who the GM is or the signing made. ...

Given the results of the Gudbranson trade and extension, Sutter trade and extension, Eriksson signing, the Beagle, MDZ, Burmistrov, Gagner signings, lack of even one top-four defender among all of the veteran defenders acquired by this team over the past five years and the on-ice results of the past four years, I think of those that continue to support most of Benning's moves on this forum as shining beacons of optimism amid a sea of realists.

FWIW, I consider Myers overpaid and likely to be a poor fit for the Canucks. Unless he can form an effective partnership with Edler playing big defensive minutes, which appears unlikely given his defensive weaknesses, he's likely going to be considered as Hughes' partner on the 2nd defensive pairing. I think that likely to be a terrible fit. Hughes is a small, offensively oriented rookie defender who imo would be best placed with a veteran stay at home defenceman-someone like Chris Tanev or the recently departed Luke Schenn. Myers is a veteran but in no way a solid defender, nor is he as gritty as Schenn. That pair would drive offence much better than Hutton-Gudbranson did, but defensively may be just as bad.

Otoh, it is Free Agent Frenzy, the time of year when desperate general managers overpay on a regular basis.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto is a model franchise, to sit here and question how they're building their team while you defend the Canucks "rebuild" is absolutely hilarious. The Leafs brought Shanahan on board nearly the exact same time the Canucks brought Benning, in that span the Leafs have done a leaps and bound better job than the Canucks in building their team.

Omg lmao let me stop you right there. Toronto is the exact opposite of a model franchise and i cant believe you actually said that with a straight face. Their core is made up of two top 5 picks and a free agency homecoming and they couldnt even breach the first round. They were 4 points ahead of the playoff bubble last year after being hyped as a contender. They handed out too much money to matthews and tavares and are now at a high risk to lose marner because of it. They had to attach a first rounder to patrick marleau JUST to save cap space. They let william nylander rot away for half a year because of how badly they shot their own foot with other contracts. They had to trade away connor brown because they gave too much money to zaitsev lmao

"MODEL FRANCHISE"

They have been gifted matthews and marner (marner shoulda been a coyote with domi and dvorak) AND tavares and they are bungling basically everything else they possibly can. The kapanen/johnsson deals are very good, credit for that. They need more of that shrewdness if they are going to approach anything remotely close to a model franchise

Reactions: Nomobo and nucks88

The Extrapolater

Apr 22, 2014
He can score a little, but he's treading water defensively. He may or may not continue scoring. Worryingly, defensively, Myers' stats have been treading downward these past two seasons.

The Canucks are still weak in two-way forward depth, so the defence is probably going to be overburdened still. Other than a handful of standouts, the Canucks forwards can't score and can't defend, on the whole. Because of this, Myers defensive stats are likely trend even further downward prematurely in the Canucks's system. Perhaps there's the option of partnering him with Edler, but Edler's 33 years old. The Canucks want to be load-managing Edler through the season, not playing him tough minutes, game after game.

Yeah, this probably isn't a good signing in analysis. It's signing the wrong player at the wrong time for the wrong price for the wrong term again for the Canucks.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Omg lmao let me stop you right there. Toronto is the exact opposite of a model franchise and i cant believe you actually said that with a straight face. Their core is made up of two top 5 picks and a free agency homecoming and they couldnt even breach the first round. They were 4 points ahead of the playoff bubble last year after being hyped as a contender. They handed out too much money to matthews and tavares and are now at a high risk to lose marner because of it. They had to attach a first rounder to patrick marleau JUST to save cap space. They let william nylander rot away for half a year because of how badly they shot their own foot with other contracts. They had to trade away connor brown because they gave too much money to zaitsev lmao

"MODEL FRANCHISE"

They have been gifted matthews and marner (marner shoulda been a coyote with domi and dvorak) AND tavares and they are bungling basically everything else they possibly can. The kapanen/johnsson deals are very good, credit for that. They need more of that shrewdness if they are going to approach anything remotely close to a model franchise

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I was pretty much going to type what you just said about 12 hours from now, but this is an awesome post. @RIP Botchford

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

"MODEL FRANCHISE"

Toronto loses in game 7 vs the team that went to game 7 of the finals, "OMG can't even win a round!!!"

In 2014 the Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs were in similar positions, both teams had very similar young pieces, very similar assets to move and both franchises inherited top 10 picks.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have since made the playoffs 3 times in a row, have averaged 103 points the last two seasons and are completely trending up. It's hilarious how the original post I was responding to outlined Kyle Dubas, he didn't sign Patrick Marleau or Nikita Zaitsev to those deal. They also absolutely destroyed Ottawa in the Zaitsev deal, Connor Brown is a nothing player and even a 3rd for him alone is fine value.

Auston Matthews is one of the 3 best young centres in the league and with inflation is a completely fine contract. Tavares left money on the table to sign with Toronto other incredibly well run franchises like the Sharks were willing to sign Tavares for more money. Notice how the teams Tavares had meetings with Boston, Tampa, Dallas and St. Louis are among the best in the league, they understand that if you can add a player of that magnitude for just cap space it's an absolute slam dunk.

Toronto bottomed out, they didn't chase a "retool on the fly" they moved their veteran pieces for picks and prospects. They didn't take short cuts, they accumulated draft picks and when they finally saw a window to take the next step made the right move. Toronto moved their best trade chip in Phil Kessel for a 1st and Kapanen and then flipped that pick for Andersen who's an elite goalie.

Vancouver instead chased quick fixes, moved picks and prospects for "age gap" crap and acquired players like Eriksson, Gudbranson, Sutter etc to help them "retool on the fly".

Toronto made the playoffs in 2013, completely changed their core and moved the needle and became a consistent playoff team by 2017. They're trending towards being one of the best teams in the league over the next 5 years.

The Canucks are littered with overpaid junk and are paying 30% of their cap to guys that can be easy replaced, I would much rather sign a guy like Tavares who's a 40 goal scorer for 11 million than be straddled to so much junk, it's not even a question. They're in cap trouble because they have good hockey players. Vancouver will pay Pettersson similarly to what Toronto is paying Matthews, but instead of having a 40 goal scorer be the reason why they're in cap trouble it will be junk like Beagle, Eriksson, Sutter and Myers.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Could have been worse,I guess,but we basically paid #3 money for a #4 (at best) defenseman who's best years are behind him.Now we just have to hope that he'll find a fit here (not seeing it) and that his play won't continue to decline at a significant rate.

Too bad Benning couldn't have found or developed another home grown and cost effective player to fill this spot in his 5 years here but I guess that's asking too much.It's always a better strategy to trade picks and prospects for other teams AHL filler when you're hired as some sort of scouting guru.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the 3 next largest signings so far.

Anton Stralman is going to be 33 before the puck drops this season and is coming off of an injury-plagued season where he barely played more than half the games and the entirety of the playoffs. He's a better player than Myers if the injuries haven't slowed him down, but given his age and the term he's been given, I don't consider him to have been a significantly better signing than Myers at $5.5 million for 3 years.

Ryan Murray, who was never going to leave Columbus, would have been another Edler or Tanev for us. Always injured he didn't even play in 2 of the last 3 playoff runs for CBJ. If we were looking to move on from Tanev for this player I'd be okay with it, but adding yet another defenseman who can't play more than 60 games in a season isn't what we need.

Ron Hainsey, he helps the Sens reach the cap floor and took a one-year deal. I'd have been a bit interested if we could have picked up Hainsey and another defenseman, but he may not have wanted to move out west anyway. He's not a long term option and we'll see how he plays in Ottawa this season alongside Chabot and a collection of spare parts.

We can, and will, argue about the targeting of Myers until he's no longer a Canuck but as far as signings today have gone I don't think we significantly overpaid compared to the market in either cap hit or term. As July goes on we'll have to look at the other defensemen signed and continue to evaluate what might have been for the Canucks.

Personally, I think he's a better fit for what this team needed than Hutton was but don't see him as a massive upgrade. Myers is a 2nd to 3rd pairing offensive tweener while Hutton was more of a pure bottom pairing guy. Myers will see PP time where Hutton saw PK time, so it's a special teams wash there and Benn should take over for those defensive minutes.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Toronto loses in game 7 vs the team that went to game 7 of the finals, "OMG can't even win a round!!!"

In 2014 the Vancouver Canucks and Toronto Maple Leafs were in similar positions, both teams had very similar young pieces, very similar assets to move and both franchises inherited top 10 picks.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have since made the playoffs 3 times in a row, have averaged 103 points the last two seasons and are completely trending up. It's hilarious how the original post I was responding to outlined Kyle Dubas, he didn't sign Patrick Marleau or Nikita Zaitsev to those deal. They also absolutely destroyed Ottawa in the Zaitsev deal, Connor Brown is a nothing player and even a 3rd for him alone is fine value.

Auston Matthews is one of the 3 best young centres in the league and with inflation is a completely fine contract. Tavares left money on the table to sign with Toronto other incredibly well run franchises like the Sharks were willing to sign Tavares for more money. Notice how the teams Tavares had meetings with Boston, Tampa, Dallas and St. Louis are among the best in the league, they understand that if you can add a player of that magnitude for just cap space it's an absolute slam dunk.

Toronto bottomed out, they didn't chase a "retool on the fly" they moved their veteran pieces for picks and prospects. They didn't take short cuts, they accumulated draft picks and when they finally saw a window to take the next step made the right move. Toronto moved their best trade chip in Phil Kessel for a 1st and Kapanen and then flipped that pick for Andersen who's an elite goalie.

Vancouver instead chased quick fixes, moved picks and prospects for "age gap" crap and acquired players like Eriksson, Gudbranson, Sutter etc to help them "retool on the fly".

Toronto made the playoffs in 2013, completely changed their core and moved the needle and became a consistent playoff team by 2017. They're trending towards being one of the best teams in the league over the next 5 years.

The Canucks are littered with overpaid junk and are paying 30% of their cap to guys that can be easy replaced, I would much rather sign a guy like Tavares who's a 40 goal scorer for 11 million than be straddled to so much junk, it's not even a question. They're in cap trouble because they have good hockey players. Vancouver will pay Pettersson similarly to what Toronto is paying Matthews, but instead of having a 40 goal scorer be the reason why they're in cap trouble it will be junk like Beagle, Eriksson, Sutter and Myers.
you lost me with Toronto and Vancouver being in same place in 2014. Toronto had basically missed the playoffs for 10 years in a row and had many young assets. The Canucks has not drafted a nhl regular since 2005 and had an aging fully paid roster. Leafs did better from there while also winning lottery but they were not in Canuck position.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Apparently he doesn't have to be protected in the expansion draft which is a big deal.

If we assume best case scenario occurs (lol) which is that Benning gets fired after we inevitably miss the playoffs this season, the new GM gets to watch him play for a year and so leaves him unprotected in the draft, and Seattle gets baited into taking him.

This makes it Myers 6m x 2 years which is what it should have been all along, and he gets picked instead of someone meaningful in the expansion draft.

This is the only way to spin this deal into something good. The alternative is he's slightly overpaid for 1-2 years and then an anchor for the rest when we're trying to re-up Petey and Hughes, and all the other garbage Benning contracts are still sticking around.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
I'm by no means a massive fan of the signing but the narrative that he is not a legit top 4 D is ridiculous. Sure he has gaffs defensively but bottom pair d-men aren't consistent 30 point guys.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
Should have kept Gudbranson and pair him up with Tyler Myers.

(Then I'd move to Las Vegas, become a pro gambler, and bet the "over" on goals scored on every Canucks game.)

Now they can only overwork on the poor shlub on Myers' opposite side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce