Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Thoughts on the contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I'd much prefer the stralman signing. Outbidding florida for 6x3 contract would've been more worthwhile than bidding for Myers.

With the significant tax differences plus Stralman already living in Florida, seems doubtful that $6M x 3 would've brought him here.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
We were told the same things in the Sutter trade thread, the same things in the Eriksson signing thread and the same things in the Gudbranson trade thread.

We were right about all of them.

Maybe, but this is a two way street.

WE were told that Toronto was a paragon of excellence and that they were a “forward thinking” organization that was doing things the right way. This was 3 years ago. Not only have the Leafs not won a playoff series (since 2002 is it?), but their massive cap complications may have already put them into decline.

WE were told that Arizona and Florida were doing things the right way due to their commitment and investment in Advanced Analytics. Florida has been a toilet bowl since Gerard Gallant was fired, and Arizona has been a toilet bowl since.......well......for most of the time since 1997.

With respect, “You people” have been batting about .500 just like the rest of us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

WE were told that Toronto was a paragon of excellence and that they were a “forward thinking” organization that was doing things the right way. This was 3 years ago. Not only have the Leafs not won a playoff series (since 2002 is it?), but their massive cap complications may have already put them into decline.

WE were told that Arizona and Florida were doing things the right way due to their commitment and investment in Advanced Analytics. Florida has been a toilet bowl since Gerard Gallant was fired, and Arizona has been a toilet bowl since.......well......for most of the time since 1997.

With respect, “You people” have been batting about .500 just like the rest of us.

Florida were an analytics team for like 6 months, made a bunch of excellent moves but didn’t win many games because Barkov and Huberdeau were both hurt, then went back to full dinosaur mode.

LOL at Toronto somehow being a failure because they have so many good young players that it’s a challenge to fit them all under the cap.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Incredible that he flat-out admitted that he ignored the analytics guys when it came to signing Myers.

That being said, Myers seems like a super nice guy. I'm gonna feel bad hating him for the next 5 years. Was hoping for a Gudbranson-level blowhard.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Florida were an analytics team for like 6 months, made a bunch of excellent moves but didn’t win many games because Barkov and Huberdeau were both hurt, then went back to full dinosaur mode.

If this was even remotely true (which it isn’t), do you honestly think that a Professional Sports Organization would do a complete 180 on a strategy that was paying immediate and significant dividends? How misguided and pretentious is this line of thinking?

LOL at Toronto somehow being a failure because they have so many good young players that it’s a challenge to fit them all under the cap.

Problems that could have easily have been avoided.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It’s actually incredible how all the usual suspects tell us how great Benning’s offseason moves are every single summer, get proven totally wrong, and seem to completely forget and the next year are right back cheerleading the new moves and thumbing their noses at those of us who are consistently right for being too negative.

The takes these people have on Myers are basically identical to their previous takes on Eriksson, Gudbranson, Gagner, Beagle and on and on. You could almost just cut/paste the names.

Welcome to the NHL, where mainstream media never criticize free agent signings. Ever. Hell, Florida just signed one of the worst contracts in NHL history and their beat guys are slobbering all over their knobs:

Myers' contract has probably taken more heat than any signed so far.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Toronto is a model franchise, to sit here and question how they're building their team while you defend the Canucks "rebuild" is absolutely hilarious. The Leafs brought Shanahan on board nearly the exact same time the Canucks brought Benning, in that span the Leafs have done a leaps and bound better job than the Canucks in building their team.

Florida under their analytics branch did good work, they traded two junk players to bad GM's for good returns. You always bash the Canucks army bloggers, but hilariously enough those bloggers paid a part in the Panthers absolutely fleecing the Panthers for Erik Gudbranson. It's been outlined so many teams and I hate the fact that I have to keep repeating it, but the Panthers that year were decimated by injury as their two best players Alex Barkov and Jonathan Huberdeau missed extensive time with injury.

When genius Dale Tallon took back charge of the team, they traded 2 first line players to retain a sub replacement level defender in the expansion draft..

I've never been a huge Chayka guy, I really liked the Hjalmarsson trade and think he did well in the Kessel deal I think they're in a similar position as Vancouver.

But again you're completely moving the goal posts on what's being discussed. What we're mentioning is moves the Canucks have made under their current
administration. In regards to the Canucks pro-scouting major moves, there's clear evidence that shows it's pretty much the same people arguing the same things and based on events that have transpired the "negatives" have been right on the money on how poorly constructed this team is, how poor the pro-scouting has been and how poorly the big acquisitions have been.

People don't have everything Jim Benning does, people dislike the players Jim Benning targets. Sutter had extremely poor analytics and had the some of the worst points/60 stats in the NHL, I didn't like the player or the cost. Gudbranson was prompted up by Brian Campbell and had bad underlying numbers without him. I still remember the "he played 25 minutes in the playoffs" arguments, I didn't like the player or the cost. Loui Eriksson was prompted up by playing with Bergeron and Marchand and the term on the contract looked poor at the time.

In all those threads we were perceived as "Benning haters" and "negative" it has nothing to do with that, it's about critically analyzing these players and contract and how they fir in relation to this team.

Myers played the easiest minutes of his career this year and was actually an effective offensive defender on the 3rd pair in Winnipeg. The Canucks don't have the defensive depth to do that, nor is 6 million a year anywhere near what a player who does that should be making.

You called Myers a #3 defender which absolutely boggles my mind, there's zero evidence that this player is anywhere near that. A #3 defender is an all situations player that can carry a 2nd pairing and move the needle as a strength on strength guy. Tyler Myers is not that, nowhere near. He's struggles exceptionally as a strength on strength guy. Last season Myers played the easy zone deployment on the Jets, the second easiest competition among Jets regular defenders and still had negative shot differentials. To conclude that this player is a #3 shows a clear bias on your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad