Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV)

Discussion in 'Vancouver Canucks' started by Mr. Canucklehead, Jul 1, 2019.

?

Thoughts on the contract?

1. Good deal.

13.3%
  2. Bad deal.

42.3%
  3. 5 by 6 roentgen? Not great, not terrible.

44.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uhmkay

Uhmkay Tryamkin = New Chara

I hate Benning just as much as most here, and he wasn't the dman I was hoping we'd land (I wanted Gardiner) but this was not even close to his worst transaction. If Myers had resigned with Winnipeg, he'd be their #4... yes, that's correct, on WINNIPEG, who is much better than we are, he'd be their #4. So to say that he's not a top 4 is just wrong.

Would I have made this signing? No. However as someone who watches the Jets a number of times a year, they're my second favourite team, he's not nearly as bad as some people here are making him out to be. When Byfuglien got injured, Myers played very well. When the Jets went on their playoff run a couple years ago, any Jets fan will tell you that he was EASILY either their best or second best dman. He was massive for them. You can even go read their forums and most of them will admit that he is a #4.... the price is just a bit much.

The Salary for Myers is too rich for me. He's not great defensively and does make some bonehead plays sometimes. At least Benning made it so that if it was apparent very early, we could leave him unprotected in the expansion draft. To be honest, the Canucks don't have that many great players and I could see Seattle taking him as their pick from the Canucks Lets be honest, when the expansion draft comes, it's likely going to be someone else beside Benning making that decision on whether to leave him unprotected. In the final year of his deal, I could see him being moved at the deadline as well for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Salary Structure
    19/20: 1M+6MBonus
    20/21: 4.5M
    21/22: 2M +5M Bonus
    22/23: 4.5M
    23/24: 2M +5M Bonus

NMC in 19/20
    Full No Trade in 20/21 and 21/22
    10 Team No Trade in 22/23 and 23/24

2. Phenomenon13

Phenomenon13 Registered User

Arizona is extremely difficult situation. Even traditional hockey gms have not been capable of making that franchise a success. To say that analytics isnt successful while using arizona as an example is unfair if not dishonest. They have major issues in regards to payroll for management, staff, etc... and of course reaching the salary cap. They have zero financial stability. Florida has reverted back to also what it's always been a terrible team. It's not like traditional hockey gms have made them very successful franchises.

What I do see is leafs went from a terrible organization to having one of the best young cores in the league in a very successful rebuild with analytics. They are actually fine cap wise in my opinion.

3. thekernel

thekernel Registered User

Until they literally win a round, it's not even close to enough to console themselves with the fact that they lost to a cup finalist (not even a cup winner!)

It's actually laughable that you just brush off Toronto getting a 1OA and a 4OA and act like they "succeeded" more, like dude they literally won the lottery in 2016 hahaha

Furthermore Canucks were holding onto a core that was the best in the league, of course the rebuild would have gone better and faster if they just traded away the Sedins, but it's not like Toronto's situation at all, where they made the playoffs once because of a half-season. A lot easier to blow up the core if there's nothing to hold onto to begin with. Canucks had a bare cupboard Horvat aside

Connor Brown is a nothing player??? Oh boy, I'm done, you can have your wall of hot takes.

Look, this isn't to say Canucks are the model to follow. I wouldn't have done 5 years for Myers (at least the movement protections line up well and give us flexibility). This is all to say that, and I can say with confidence, the only people delusional enough to think of Toronto as a "model franchise" are Leafs homers and peoples with insufficient knowledge of the subject. Like, if they were a model franchise, don't you think they should have at least one playoff series win to show for it?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  4. Jay Cee

Jay Cee P4G

Myers can like jump up in the play and tip the puck and stuff.

5. Agent007

Agent007 Registered User

And he’s tall like very tall

6. Dr Good Vibes

Dr Good Vibes Registered User

in the interview with sportsnet radio about the Myers signing, Jim had an absolute gem of a pronunciation.

"Being in Winnipeg the last few years, hes been kinda insulated behind Trouba and Bufoogalen."

geebaan likes this.
  7. sexydonut

sexydonut Registered User

How on earth did the Leafs get Tyson Barrie for a mere Nazem Kadri? And Colorado retains half his salary?

And Barrie is being paid LESS than Myers?

Iron Mike Sharpe likes this.
  8. Jay Cee

Jay Cee P4G

Imagine a 6'8 Canadian kid who is a former Calder winner who can skate real good being "insulated."

Canadian Club, geebaan, MikeK and 2 others like this.
  9. MS

MS 1%er

This is why Brian Burke is no longer an NHL GM.

Yup.

I’ve asked you a couple times, but without referring to ‘NHL experts’ or other appeals to authority please explain why you disagree based on the merits of the players.

I’m completely comfortable with people laughing at my opinion, just like they laughed when I said that Biega was better than Sbisa and Gudbranson and nobody disagrees with that now. It’s actually funny how pathetically unable people are at forming their own opinions without people telling them what to think.

Also both you and I take steaming dumps on a daily basis that know more about hockey than the collective intelligence of canuckscorner, who were basically laughed off this board when they tried posing here last year and went back to their own echo chamber.

10. polarbearcub

polarbearcub Registered User

The leafs fleeced the avs full stop.. holy crap

Red likes this.
  11. sexydonut

sexydonut Registered User

Watch as the Leafs offer up Nic Petan and a 3rd rounder in exchange for Brock Boeser--And Jim Benning just might consider it.

12. Bougieman

Bougieman Registered User

Publisher
    Underrated D-man. He's going to make the Canucks power play way better, especially now that we have Quinn Hughes as well. Our special teams should take a pretty big leap up next season, and that can make a big difference in terms of points. Really glad to have him, and pretty surprised we managed to not get totally hosed in the "free agent frenzy". For once it's nice to see some other teams be the ones to overpay badly.

13. MS

MS 1%er

This is literally exactly what happened in Florida.

Tallon was bumped upstairs in 2016 and Tom Rowe promoted to GM, who went all-in on analytics. Rowe made the McCann-Gudbranson and Kulikov-Pysyk steals and Marchessault UFA signing. But Barkov and Huberdeau were injured to start 16-17 and Luongo and Jagr fell off after great seasons at a very advanced age, so the team struggled out of the gate, and Tallon used that struggle to organize a coup to take back control, was re-appointed GM, and went straight back to dinosaur land. Gave Vegas 2/3 of their top line the following summer to protect a #7 defender for his toughness and it’s been a gong show there since.

14. FacepalmBenning

FacepalmBenning Have to burn the village down to save it

I'll reserve judgement until I see Myers in a Canucks jersey but Biega is a legit second pairing defenseman on this team who just got better with more responsibility last year.

timw33 likes this.
  15. Burke's Evil Spirit

Burke's Evil Spirit Registered User

CS
    Interestingly, one of the Panthers' Computer Boys announced he was leaving the team today, to join the Avalanche front office (Josh Weissbock).

vancityluongo and timw33 like this.
  16. Icebreakers

Icebreakers Registered User

Kadri is a top 6 C making 4.5 mil. Barrie is an RFA contract that expires next season in which he will become a UFA and demand 7m+. He's a pure rental.

MikeK likes this.
  17. Billy Kvcmu

Billy Kvcmu Registered User

Barrie contract was signed a while ago so that part is irrelevant
    Also a mere Kadri? He is currently better than Horvat, a legit good 2C (Though Bo is much younger)

18. VanJack

VanJack Registered User

I'm OK with the price for Myers....basically only $500,000 more than he was making with the Jets. He may have taken a bit of home-town discount to sign with VanCity.

Hockey pundits and Jet-watchers aren't convinced that he's a legitimate top-four guy, but on the Canuck he'll have to be.

19. Cupless44

Cupless44 Registered User

A lot of Av fans were not that sad to see Kerfoot go. Many said he is the softest 40 point forward out there and the puck dies on his stick when MacKinnon dishes it to him. If Barrie leaves after one year not sure if this is a fleecing, thought I admit on first look I liked the Leafs side.

20. EpochLink

EpochLink Canucks and Jets fan

Myers seems like a decent guy, hey he went here due to family and can't really blame a guy for that.
    Contract is alright for what it is, some people like it and some hate it.

It is what it is, at least this guy can skate.

lousy likes this.
  21. Homer J Benning

Homer J Benning Registered User

Make the Canucks worse
    He signed because of his Wife. Just listening to Myers, it's becomes obvious.

When asked about the prospect of playing with Hughes and Juolevi, his answer revealed he knew nothing about either one of them.

When asked if he knew any current Canucks, he mentioned he played with edler in the WHL for 2 months, and that he met sutter this morning.

I don't think he knew a damned thing about the Canucks roster.

The credit for Not signing Myers to a big 7x7, should go to Myers' wife.

Krnuckfan and Red like this.
  22. settinguptheplay

settinguptheplay Classless Canuck Fan

I see the usual suspects in here using appeals to authority to attack and invalidate any dissenting opinion. "We were right about Gudbranson therefore we are always right". Granted, they were indeed correct about Gudbranson but that is why I said in a previous post that being a critic is the easy way out. One can always go back and claim some sort of victory because they got something right knowing that no one is going to dig through someones post history to look for the times they were wrong. They will rally around some blogger who shares their opinion then attack an ex GM who does not. Then those same people pass each other likes to further the confirmation bias that they have been seeking the whole time.

This is just getting so bloody tiring. I don't like Myers. I think we overpaid by 2m dollars and would much much rather have given Gardiner that money and more. But this is a done deal. We all know you guys hate Benning and hate the direction of this team. But every thread is littered with the same group repeating the same thing over and over and over. We get it. You all hate Benning. You think this team is a bottom 3 team. Banging your head against the wall trying to make everyone agree with you just makes one look petty. This is why civil discussions rarely happen here. If you are not on the fire Benning train you get relentlessly attacked for your position. I merely had the opinion that the JT Miller trade was a wait and see trade. I even admitted that at the time it was an overpay. Yet the usual group of hammerheads went out full force attacking my position. A couple of them completely ignoring what I said and accused me of things I did not say.

And once you give a good point it becomes an exercise in deflection and excuses. The Florida Panthers as a perfect example. "Oh but that only lasted 6 months and if not for injuries it all would have been amazing!!!". Has anyone here ever gotten way with the injuries excuse? I suggest not. Unless it is to deflect responsibility. Then it is tossed around as some kind of fact. The 2014 Toronto/Vancouver GM hiring's is another prime example of being disingenuous. The Canucks were 3 years removed from a game 7 SC loss while Toronto was sucking hard and getting picks. Not to mention the lottery win that brought them Mathews. To hint at some kind of similar starting place in 2014 is insane.

Enough of a rant from me. I look forward to the attacks from the usual suspects. Again, I don't like this deal. Even if it was not as bad as reported (which caused outrage from the usual suspects despite zero evidence) I still don't like it. But I am not going to tell someone who wishes to think positively about it that they are just some knob sucker. I mean really. Low hanging fruit indeed.

Bring it! I eat your negativity and spit out diamonds.

23. brokenblade1990

brokenblade1990 Registered User

think about this we went into last season with pouliot guddbranson and del zotto this year we going into it with myers, hughes, benn. benn just needs to be a number 5 guy myers needs to keep our right side healthy and be solid number 4 so we dont have stetcher and two ahlers on the right side like last year. and quinn hughes the 5 games last season he really looked like he would be a solid number 3 d man along with his play at world championchips where he got the second most minutes just behind suter

24. ProstheticConscience

ProstheticConscience Like tears in rain

If you can only handle reading reading compliments and agreements with your opinions, posting here really might not be for you.

25. settinguptheplay

settinguptheplay Classless Canuck Fan

And it begins. Easy to attack others for their opinion but can not be challenged on theirs. First diamond down. By days end I will be rich!

Honestly, I was expected something a bit more original. But I guess meeting expectations will have to suffice.

VancouverJagger and sting101 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.