Player Discussion Canucks sign D Tyler Myers to 5-Year, $30m Deal ($6m AAV) | Part 2

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Some of the defensive plays this guy makes leaves me scratching my head. For how big he is, he was pretty soft on some plays in his own end. I haven’t seen any other games so I am praying he isn’t as bad as what I saw.

there's maybe a level of compete thing going on because it is camp, but he's definitely an odd duck in terms of making glaring defensive errors as a veteran yet looking good to great in transition and on offence. i find it hard to square how composed he is at the point keeping the puck in compared to his defensive work on the boards where he seems to be unable to do simple things consistently like reverse the puck or chip it clear.

so far he's sort of a giant jordan subban. when they signed him i thought he'd compliment hughes offensively and maybe shelter hughes somewhat defensively. now i think if that pairing happens that hughes will be the guy running the defensive zone coverage.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
To be fair it can happen but it's not the change in jersey that does it. Rather, a new team may put the player in a better spot to exploit his talents and minimize his weaknesses. So for Myers that would likely require a good amount of PP time and playing him 5-on-5 against 3rd and 4th line competition. Though for this contract you shouldn't need to do that but that is what will have to be done for his tenure to be a "success" (on paper).

For Gudbranson it would have meant putting him the pressbox.

The issue is, even if that is the tactic the coaching staff take, once injuries hit he'll be expected to provide more and he'll struggle. So history suggests. That's why I don't think the Jets are concerned over losing Myers even today. They weren't going to be able to count on him to provide that elevated play so they figured" what's the point in paying for that?"

yeah, pretty clearly the gudbranson thing was a case of the opposite, where the change of scenery exposed a player's issues. that's the take of the penguins board about why he looks so much better to them.

speaking of which, one thing i am grateful for is no chance of a hutton/myers pairing.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Prepare yourself, there will games that Myers will look great and some will look bad. That's the nature of almost every player in the league, the difference here is that some are watching him with a microscope and will blow his mistakes out of proportion while remaining quiet when he does a good play.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Prepare yourself, there will games that Myers will look great and some will look bad. That's the nature of almost every player in the league, the difference here is that some are watching him with a microscope and will blow his mistakes out of proportion while remaining quiet when he does a good play.

The bold doesn't actually happen that much. People give credit where credit is due.

And yes players have good and bad games. The overall appraisal will be done on which one of those things are causing the scale to tilt. People weren't hard on Gudbranson, as an example, because they ignored the good games or good things he would do on a shift. It was because the bad overwhelmed the good.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
It’s almost like they don’t need to play the games.

It's preseason and he's already playing as advertised by Jets fans, and as we expected. Putting an orca on his chest with Travis Green's amazing systems isn't going to change anything after 600 NHL games played.

Reactions: timw33

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
It's preseason and he's already playing as advertised by Jets fans, and as we expected. Putting an orca on his chest with Travis Green's amazing systems isn't going to change anything after 600 NHL games played.

Like I said, maybe that’s true. I would just rather wait until he actually plays some meaningful games with this organization before I label him the second coming of Eriksson and a catastrophic failure.

Call me unreasonable.

Reactions: Nomobo

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Like I said, maybe that’s true. I would just rather wait until he actually plays some meaningful games with this organization before I label him the second coming of Eriksson and a catastrophic failure.

Call me unreasonable.

Well I'm not on board with calling him the next Eriksson, I don't think he'll be that bad, but he won't live up to his contract. Eriksson is pretty much useless while playing a decent defensive game. I think Myers will be ok, but his contract will always linger over his head, as it should.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
It’s almost like they don’t need to play the games.
What?

You are repeating the exact same narrative (with a new account I assume) that accompanied players like Gudbranson and Beagle etc in previous summers. That somehow a player's extensive history in the NHL is now complete irrelevant, that somehow a bad player with an established skillset and results would magically improve once Benning acquires him.

Just because you are completely clueless about 600 game veteran players outside the Vancouver market doesn't mean these players are unknown to other people.

Reactions: tyhee and xtra

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
What?

You are repeating the exact same narrative (with a new account I assume) that accompanied players like Gudbranson and Beagle etc in previous summers. That somehow a player's extensive history in the NHL is now complete irrelevant, that somehow a bad player with an established skillset and results would magically improve once Benning acquires him.

Just because you are completely clueless about 600 game veteran players outside the Vancouver market doesn't mean these players are unknown to other people.

What is it that you’re arguing here?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What?

one of my favourite things is watching how new acq1uisitions mesh with a team. it is unpredictable and can definitely move the dial.

for example, gudbranson actually proves you are wrong. he played worse here than he did in florida or, so far, in pittsburgh. eriksson also proves you wrong. he came here, and the system and linemates nullified the guy's offensive skillset. schaller is another guy. gaunce is now on the bubble to make the bruins.

the bottom line here is that everyone can see myers is a high event guy in both zones. the interesting part is going to be whether our system and his team mates exacerbates or moderates his dzone issues compared to the jets. i assume the canucks pro scouts were aware this guy does not walk on water and think his positives outweigh the negatives. there are certainly plenty in winnipeg who still think so. i am very curious particularly whether green's system will help or hinder the guy.

Reactions: Brickstrom

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
Sure it does, unless you believe he's going to magically transform into a good defenseman because the colours on his jersey have changed. :laugh:

A nonsensical argument. There are countless players who have had a change to their career after switching teams. Sometimes good, and sometimes bad (as shown in another post).

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
A nonsensical argument. There are countless players who have had a change to their career after switching teams. Sometimes good, and sometimes bad (as shown in another post).

Those are younger players benifitting from a change of scenery. Not a 29 year old veteran of 600 nhl games played

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
12:30AM

First it was "wait until we see him with the Canucks"
Next it will be "wait until he's played a full season"
Then it will be "he's just adjusting give him more time"

9:00AM

How many of those games was he wearing a Canucks uniform?

Call me unreasonable.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
Those are younger players benifitting from a change of scenery. Not a 29 year old veteran of 600 nhl games played

Do you believe it is fair to judge Myers as a Canucks defenceman before he’s ever played a game for them?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Do you believe it is fair to judge Myers as a Canucks defenceman before he’s ever played a game for them?

No, that would be impossible, as you well know. However, it is completely fair to have a baseline understanding of this player to this point. Do you have one? Have you seen him play?

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
No, that would be impossible, as you well know. However, it is completely fair to have a baseline understanding of this player to this point. Do you have one? Have you seen him play?

Of course not; he’s sitting on a internet posting farm in India defending the all mighty leaders moves.

Also I do like how the narrative has gone from oh you don’t know what a player is until they have played 300 games (Guds) to oh he has to play games for us before we know what type of player he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad