Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D - Brogan Rafferty

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's just possible he plays better up here than in Utica defensively. The superior structure here could mask his defensive deficiencies.

You could be right, but he will face one on ones in the NHL just like he does in Utica and he has been walked on many occasions like a highway directional cone. The forwards at the NHL level are more skilled and faster.

He will have to make passes under supreme duress where he has choked on many occasions and flipped weak passes into nowhere or made the blind backhand pass hoping he had a mate in the vicinity only to find out he passed the puck directly to an opponent. He has also passed the puck to a mate covered like a blanket and left that guy to deal with the pressure. The NHL forecheckers are faster, harder hitting, and better at cutting off passing lanes. He is weak at the net front and abandons his D-spot too soon in order to get up ice on the attack, which has left him somewhere out above the circle to the blueline when the opponent has the puck back down low working to score against one less D-man.

Someone is always bailing this guy out and a I wonder how long his +17 can last. His offesnsive numbers have allowed him to get halfway there and the efforts of others have saved his ass over and over again.

Not so sure this defensive style translates to 2-way D like Green will expect. He gave Subban free license to create as long as he carried out his own zone responsibilities first. That minimized his numbers, but he put up 36 points in both seasons under Green. Defensively he still proved to be a train wreck and was traded. Apparently the Ontario coach had tougher requirements greatly limiting his offense (8 Pts/36 GP) and Toronto was equally serious about the D first rule (18 Pts/48 GP).

Green, who was accused of stifling his offense, got a lot more production from him, but he was -5 and -12 his 2 years under Green. However, Ontario wasn't any more successful with him defensively, -9 while getting almost nothing from him offensively.The Marlies got his D under control, -1 and garnered a little more offense from him, but nothing special.

He is currently in the EBEL, the Austrian elite league, where he has 15 Pts in 38 GP and is a whopping -17.

Brogan Rafferty has offensive stats padded by his PP 1 numbers. He can move the puck up ice if he gets it in open space. He dose not elude opponents in his own end with slick moves on his skates accompanied by elite stick handling. Given enough open ice he can eventually elude opponents, but taking the puck into traffic at the blueline he loses it on most occasions. He's real good where he's good, but very weak where he isn't. It's those weak areas that require him to keep working in the AHL so he doesn't bomb out before he's ready or just gets pigeon holed into a lesser role than he might have reached if left alone to develop. So far Vancouver is following that recipe. My handling of him would keep it that way.

He dearly misses, as does the rest of this D-corps, a real, actual veteran D-man of proven NHL talent like Schenn or Huskins. These kids would be improving in their development daily with an on ice/bench advisor, mentor/coach, role model. It was insane to expect a bunch of kids to actually go a full season and not level off and then regress as the competition got stronger and stronger. We have seen them start out very weak, improve above that level, and then hit a wall. Now we are seeing them regress to many of the same bad habits it seemed they were getting past. I blame this on 2 things. 1) A lack of coaching ability to get certain required details across to these kids and then not holding them responsible for repeated errors. 2) The failure to sign a veteran leader to bring these kids along. You ant the kids to develop? Bring in the guy(s) who have a better chance of making that happen and you have to be willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter if the guy is on a 2-way. You don't even have to have him on an NHL contract. Give NHL money on an AHL contract and give him some term if that helps sign him. Crimey, they have given Bancks and Hamilton 2 successive 2-yr contracts. Wouldn't that money have been better spent signing a guy who can help get the D on top of their game? A top team gets built from the goal out. Vancouver slipped up big time by overlooking the middle part which I consider the most important piece. It doesn't matter how many goals you score if you allow the opponent to score more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm encouraged, not only by Rafferty's AHL stats, but how he looked during a very brief audition last spring in VanCity....He obviously had the confidence, and was basically making the same kind of plays in the NHL as he has this season the AHL.

I feel certain that if the Canucks were ever to pair him with a veteran d-man like Myers or even Fantenberg, some of the ragged play in his own zone would even out. The AHL game is scrambly at times, and d-man can get running around trying to cover up from mistakes by somebody else.

But I guess the only way you're going to know for sure, is to get him a larger sample size in the NHL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Canucks are not in a position to find out during the stretch drive. They’d likely have to make decisions about their RHD in the off season without seeing him play in the nhl this season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm encouraged, not only by Rafferty's AHL stats, but how he looked during a very brief audition last spring in VanCity....He obviously had the confidence, and was basically making the same kind of plays in the NHL as he has this season the AHL.

I feel certain that if the Canucks were ever to pair him with a veteran d-man like Myers or even Fantenberg, some of the ragged play in his own zone would even out. The AHL game is scrambly at times, and d-man can get running around trying to cover up from mistakes by somebody else.

But I guess the only way you're going to know for sure, is to get him a larger sample size in the NHL.
why would they pair him with Myers? Both are right side D

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
You could be right, but he will face one on ones in the NHL just like he does in Utica and he has been walked on many occasions like a highway directional cone. The forwards at the NHL level are more skilled and faster.

He will have to make passes under supreme duress where he has choked on many occasions and flipped weak passes into nowhere or made the blind backhand pass hoping he had a mate in the vicinity only to find out he passed the puck directly to an opponent. He has also passed the puck to a mate covered like a blanket and left that guy to deal with the pressure. The NHL forecheckers are faster, harder hitting, and better at cutting off passing lanes. He is weak at the net front and abandons his D-spot too soon in order to get up ice on the attack, which has left him somewhere out above the circle to the blueline when the opponent has the puck back down low working to score against one less D-man.

Someone is always bailing this guy out and a I wonder how long his +17 can last. His offesnsive numbers have allowed him to get halfway there and the efforts of others have saved his ass over and over again.

Not so sure this defensive style translates to 2-way D like Green will expect. He gave Subban free license to create as long as he carried out his own zone responsibilities first. That minimized his numbers, but he put up 36 points in both seasons under Green. Defensively he still proved to be a train wreck and was traded. Apparently the Ontario coach had tougher requirements greatly limiting his offense (8 Pts/36 GP) and Toronto was equally serious about the D first rule (18 Pts/48 GP).

Green, who was accused of stifling his offense, got a lot more production from him, but he was -5 and -12 his 2 years under Green. However, Ontario wasn't any more successful with him defensively, -9 while getting almost nothing from him offensively.The Marlies got his D under control, -1 and garnered a little more offense from him, but nothing special.

He is currently in the EBEL, the Austrian elite league, where he has 15 Pts in 38 GP and is a whopping -17.

Brogan Rafferty has offensive stats padded by his PP 1 numbers. He can move the puck up ice if he gets it in open space. He dose not elude opponents in his own end with slick moves on his skates accompanied by elite stick handling. Given enough open ice he can eventually elude opponents, but taking the puck into traffic at the blueline he loses it on most occasions. He's real good where he's good, but very weak where he isn't. It's those weak areas that require him to keep working in the AHL so he doesn't bomb out before he's ready or just gets pigeon holed into a lesser role than he might have reached if left alone to develop. So far Vancouver is following that recipe. My handling of him would keep it that way.

He dearly misses, as does the rest of this D-corps, a real, actual veteran D-man of proven NHL talent like Schenn or Huskins. These kids would be improving in their development daily with an on ice/bench advisor, mentor/coach, role model. It was insane to expect a bunch of kids to actually go a full season and not level off and then regress as the competition got stronger and stronger. We have seen them start out very weak, improve above that level, and then hit a wall. Now we are seeing them regress to many of the same bad habits it seemed they were getting past. I blame this on 2 things. 1) A lack of coaching ability to get certain required details across to these kids and then not holding them responsible for repeated errors. 2) The failure to sign a veteran leader to bring these kids along. You ant the kids to develop? Bring in the guy(s) who have a better chance of making that happen and you have to be willing to pay for it. It doesn't matter if the guy is on a 2-way. You don't even have to have him on an NHL contract. Give NHL money on an AHL contract and give him some term if that helps sign him. Crimey, they have given Bancks and Hamilton 2 successive 2-yr contracts. Wouldn't that money have been better spent signing a guy who can help get the D on top of their game? A top team gets built from the goal out. Vancouver slipped up big time by overlooking the middle part which I consider the most important piece. It doesn't matter how many goals you score if you allow the opponent to score more.
thanks for taking the time to put all these pixels before us. Seriously, i don't really follow the comets thread (or watch any of their games) so this is awesome. When you say " He's real good where he's good", what do you mean? Do you think he's a smart enough player to just simplify his game at the next level? Or is he too much of a gunslinger? What are his best qualities as a player? Sorry, i know i'm being greedy.....

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Canucks right Side D, not even one game missed this year by Tanev, Myers and Stecher. No chance to see Rafferty, the 2 games he played last year, small sample size but you can definitely see nhl talent. If Biega was still on the team, he would still be sitting in the pressbox waiting for his first game

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
thanks for taking the time to put all these pixels before us. Seriously, i don't really follow the comets thread (or watch any of their games) so this is awesome. When you say " He's real good where he's good", what do you mean? Do you think he's a smart enough player to just simplify his game at the next level? Or is he too much of a gunslinger? What are his best qualities as a player? Sorry, i know i'm being greedy.....

Offense, real good.
Defense, not so much.
Wouldn't call him a gunslinger though.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020

Dang, that’s a great point about the lack of a meaningful vet to mentor the kids. While the Canucks as an organization seem to be turning things around from a drafting perspective, it does seem development is not quite at the same level.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Does he realistically have any shot at sniffing the NHL, or would he be one of those career minor league stars?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks love their offensive blueliners....they're encouraged to push forward whenever they see a scoring chance. That's how Fantenberg and Myers managed to generate the second goal against the Hurricanes....both guys were lurking around the net to pick up a rebound.

So from that standpoint, Rafferty already brings something to the table that Tanev and Stecher will always lack....as good defensively as they are, they generate next to nothing offensively, and really have muffins from the point.

So if Rafferty doesn't make an appearance this season, he's guaranteed to get a long look in training camp next season....simply because there's no way the Canucks can give Stecher and Tanev raises, and fit them under the salary cap....so one of them has to go.

Reactions: Nomobo

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Does he realistically have any shot at sniffing the NHL, or would he be one of those career minor league stars?

Oh, he'll get a look alright. The Canucks cap state will guarantee that. What he does with it will depend upon him. If he can't be a competent defensive presence, Green won't play him (unless he's under orders to do such and that doesn't seem to have happened all that often).

I actually believe Juolevi will get the same look next season for the same reason. I believe his skating will be his biggest obstacle and his physicality will also be questionable.

Both of these guys double as pylons as often as once per game, sometimes more. That can't happen to an NHL D-man nightly if he hopes to last.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

If he can skate, he'll get opportunity.
We saw last yr that he could definitely skate at this level, so his opportunity is inevitable.

How he holds up defensively at this level is yet to be determined.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
With the possible signing of Rathbone, where does Rafferty fit in on the depth charts. Seems to have had a wonderful rookie season in the AHL. What's his potential?

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
With the possible signing of Rathbone, where does Rafferty fit in on the depth charts. Seems to have had a wonderful rookie season in the AHL. What's his potential?[/QUOTE

should effect him really, Raff is a righty. My guess is some spots will be opening up next year.

With the major cap issues they Canucks pay 3rd paring guys like Benn 2.2 million. They are going to have to shed some cap space and having elc guys in those spots will help.

my guess, Stetcher Benn and Fatenberg are all gone.

replaced by Tryamkin, Rathbone and Rafferty.

Reactions: supercanuck

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
With the possible signing of Rathbone, where does Rafferty fit in on the depth charts. Seems to have had a wonderful rookie season in the AHL. What's his potential?

Rathbone is LD and Rafferty is RD.

Rafferty will be in the line-up next season to replace Stecher

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone is LD and Rafferty is RD.

Rafferty will be in the line-up next season to replace Stecher
Canucks could lose BOTH Stecher and Tanev. With the flat salary cap, something has to give. I could see Rathbone, Rafferty and maybe Tryamkin replacing Stecher, Tanev and Fantenberg on the Canucks blueline for next season.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Canucks could lose BOTH Stecher and Tanev. With the flat salary cap, something has to give. I could see Rathbone, Rafferty and maybe Tryamkin replacing Stecher, Tanev and Fantenberg on the Canucks blueline for next season.
That defence will ... not prevent a lot of goals.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
That defence will ... not prevent a lot of goals.

Actually I'm ok with that. The real issue is that it doesn't jibe with the other things management has done.

Since I trust the Utica posters, I don't even think Rafferty is close. Hopefully he can improve but expecting him to make the big club next year seems like a pipe dream.

Even knowing that, I would have been totally down to develop these young players (yes, I know some like Rathbone are just now becoming available/developing) and give them playing time in the NHL. That's basically a rebuild.

But what does it say if you have to play this inexperienced a d-corp but you've put literally 2-3x more dollars into your bottom-6 forwards?

Reactions: lindgren

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Actually I'm ok with that. The real issue is that it doesn't jibe with the other things management has done.

Since I trust the Utica posters, I don't even think Rafferty is close. Hopefully he can improve but expecting him to make the big club next year seems like a pipe dream.

Even knowing that, I would have been totally down to develop these young players (yes, I know some like Rathbone are just now becoming available/developing) and give them playing time in the NHL. That's basically a rebuild.

But what does it say if you have to play this inexperienced a d-corp but you've put literally 2-3x more dollars into your bottom-6 forwards?
I agree. Our cap allocation is insane. And we will likely lose Tanev as a result. So run and gun with the young’uns it is!

lawrence

May 19, 2012

that thought of that is scary as hell.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I watched about 55 of the Comets' 61 games this season. I think he's close.

His offensive IQ and transition game is NHL calibre. And I think he could provide value to an NHL team in the right sheltered 3rd pairing/PP situation.

Problem is, how many defenders are we planning on sheltering next year?

It's hilarious that we're taking a blueline that was already a hot mess defensively and apparently moving on from both Tanev and Stecher (and Edler will be a year older) and replacing them with kids. This could get really ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad