Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D - Brogan Rafferty

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Canucks sign Brogan Rafferty

Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed defenceman Brogan Rafferty to a one-year entry-level contract.
"We're pleased to have Brogan join our organization after a solid career at Quinnipiac," said Benning. "We look forward to him taking the next step and continuing to evolve his game."
Rafferty, 23, appeared in 38 games for Quinnipiac University and collected 24 points (4-20-24). The 6'0", 195-pound defenceman ranked 7th on the Bobcats, and third among defencemen, in scoring in 2018.19. In three seasons with Quinnipiac, Rafferty accumulated 60 points (9-51-60) in 108 games.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Brogan Rafferty, Right Defence, Quinnipiac University, 6’2″ 192 lbs, Junior

The 23-year-old defenseman put up four goals and 22 points in 34 games this season, improving on his sophomore numbers. He has attended development camps with the Chicago Blackhawks and New York Rangers over the last two summers. Rafferty is not afraid to rush the puck up the ice. He is a strong stick handler and has the agility and shiftiness to skate the puck out of danger. Rafferty also has good passing skills and can start the rush, or set up plays from the blue line. His agility allows him to walk the line and open up passing and shooting lanes. His defensive game is getting better, as he improves his positioning and learns how to use his size to battle for loose pucks in the corners and in front of the net.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Decent player, could end up as a nice long term bottom pair option. Odds are we scouted him around 2017 when we signed Tanner McMaster from the same Quinnipiac University and had monitored ever since. What I’m worried about is the mass of players that are near NHL ready being signed. There’s gonna be a full AHL squad of unhappy defenders that think they could be playing in the NHL next year.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Do you follow NCAA? I know I don't, and I know I had no idea who Chris Tanev was when they signed him.

Tanev was signed with very little fanfare as well - he was not one of the top ranked NCAA free agents that year IIRC. He did apparently have a growth spurt.

Hard to understate just how successful of a signing that was.

Most of the high profile ones fizzle out and never come close to meeting expectations.

Anyone remember who that uber-hyped swedish kid was that Gillis was after before he got fired? We lost him after that and I think he had a hat-trick in his first NHL game or something and then disappeared not long after.

Reactions: Indiana

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad