Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D - Brogan Rafferty

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
And what? Aside from Sautner none of the ahl D call ups have played.

green isn’t playing anyone outside the top 7.

Brisebois and chatfield have sat in the press box when they got called up.

Apples and oranges. Sometimes players are called up who don't have as much expected out of them, simply to be a placeholder incase of emergency. They prefer the likes of Juolevi and Rafferty to continue to get playing time prior to their callups, which they are more likely to actually play and show if theyre actually close to ready for the NHL. So when somebody (an hfboards poster) asks for a callup of these actual players with potential, it's because they think theyre worthy of their NHL tryout now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Apples and oranges. Sometimes players are called up who don't have as much expected out of them, simply to be a placeholder incase of emergency. They prefer the likes of Juolevi and Rafferty to continue to get playing time prior to their callups, which they are more likely to actually play and show if theyre actually close to ready for the NHL. So when somebody (an hfboards poster) asks for a callup of these actual players with potential, it's because they think theyre worthy of their NHL tryout now.
Canucks are right in the playoff mix. So, I doubt Green is interested in simply taking a look at a young player right now. Same with Benning. Standings are so tight. 6 points separates everyone below STL and the 9th seed.

Anyone they call up to replace an injury who has to play, they need them to play well.

His play probably gives them the option to move Stecher in the summer which would help save them some cap space.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rafferty is putting up points at a higher pace than any AHL defenceman since Tim Heed in 2016/17!
Rafferty closing in on a ppg....now has a seven point cushion in the d-man scoring race and one of the top scoring rookies in the league. I know there's a tendency to discount AHL stats.....but what he's doing so far is insane for un-drafted player.

A lot of Canuck d-men who went on to long NHL careers like Tanev, Edler and Bieksa spent time in the AHL.....and they never came close to putting up those kind of numbers...And the version of the AHL they played in was probably inferior to the league circa 2019-20.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I don't see a spot for him until a trade is made. I could see Benning trading Stecher at the deadline, an then calling Brogan up without knowing if he's ready to be a full time NHLer. It's a tough situation for Rafferty, but we'll see what happens.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I don't see a spot for him until a trade is made. I could see Benning trading Stecher at the deadline, an then calling Brogan up without knowing if he's ready to be a full time NHLer. It's a tough situation for Rafferty, but we'll see what happens.

There will be spots, injuries will no doubt occur. We have actually been pretty lucky so far this season, we have had injuries to second tier guys like Sutter, Ferland, Roussel, etc. but no injuries to core players outside of a handful of games for Edler. And what's even more shocking, Tanev hasn't missed a game yet either.

For that reason guys like Goldobin, Baertschi, Rafferty, Juolevi, etc. have not gotten a shot this year. I suspect we will start to see some of these guys in the second half, there's no way we can coast through this unscathed.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t see them moving Stecher to make room for Rafferty.

teams need depth because if they moved Stecher and then an injury happens suddenly you then have Benn, Fantenberg and Rafferty as your 4-6 guys if one of the top 4 go down.

canucks have been lucky with so few Dman games lost plus the forwards who have missed time have been in the bottom 6.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
I don’t see them moving Stecher to make room for Rafferty.

teams need depth because if they moved Stecher and then an injury happens suddenly you then have Benn, Fantenberg and Rafferty as your 4-6 guys if one of the top 4 go down.

canucks have been lucky with so few Dman games lost plus the forwards who have missed time have been in the bottom 6.

I was more thinking along the lines of Benning forcing a move at the deadline, and Rafferty getting a look that way. We likely have to move 1 of Tanev/Stecher by the deadline, or risk losing 1 for nothing due to the upcoming cap crunch (unless he can move Eriksson, but that seems unlikely).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
CanucksArmy has a take on Rafferty, focusing on cmperables and expected outcomes:

It’s time for patience and reasonable expectations when it comes to Brogan Rafferty
I caught up with this article as well...and frankly it was one of the worst pieces I've ever read on Canucks Army.

Basics of the article seemed to be that because Rafferty is already 24, you can basically throw out his AHL stats. Also brought up the time-warped comparison to Pouliot and Clendening, failed NHL'ers who are also putting up points this year in the AHL. Never mind that while Pouliot is a -17 on the season, Rafferty is a plus-17.

The rest of the article seemed to be a spirited defense of Troy Stecher as a third pairing, right side d-man. But the guy they need to convince is Green--who routinely cuts Stecher's minutes when they're either protecting a lead or trying to come from behind.

Finally, they claim that the fact the Canucks have promoted Chatfield twice as a right-side fill-in "somehow speaks volumes' about what the Canucks think of Rafferty. Never mind the fact that Utica promotions do nothing more than sit in the pressbox anyway, so why would you recall Rafferty to practice and eat popcorn in the skybox?

You expect more from Canucks Army.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Im hearing its an upper or lower body injury

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
CanucksArmy has a take on Rafferty, focusing on cmperables and expected outcomes:

It’s time for patience and reasonable expectations when it comes to Brogan Rafferty

Some good points in that article but using age without also factoring experience makes for a questionable cohort of supposed comparables. The author refers to 11 guys that he calls NHL flame-outs (I don't understand why Sean Walker is listed as a flameout) that had somewhat similar AHL production at similar ages, but all of them had multiple years of pro experience when they scored at those rates.

Rafferty didn't become a defenceman until he was 17, wasn't drafted, didn't make it to college hockey until 21, and now as a pro rookie at 24 is lighting up the AHL. That's a different development curve, one that is rather unusual. I'd estimate his chances of becoming a regular in the NHL at closer to 50% as opposed to the 35% posited in the article. When a guy jumps up in competition and immediately shines at the higher level, especially if it's a relative improvement compared to his play at the lower level, it's a fairly good portent for additional future progress.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I’ve seen enough to know he might be the best offensive defensemen in the AHL, but he will be feasted alive defensively in the NHL. Unless he improves his defense, he’s in the Pouliout/Clendenning class of defensemen.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was more thinking along the lines of Benning forcing a move at the deadline, and Rafferty getting a look that way. We likely have to move 1 of Tanev/Stecher by the deadline, or risk losing 1 for nothing due to the upcoming cap crunch (unless he can move Eriksson, but that seems unlikely).
Stecher is rfa. Likely traded in the summer or draft. Tanev, who knows what the market says. Gardiner comes off back surgery and gets $4 mill rather than the $6 mill plus posters expected. And didn’t just take a prove his health deal. He was 29 and signed until 33 vs hitting the market again at age 30.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I caught up with this article as well...and frankly it was one of the worst pieces I've ever read on Canucks Army.

Basics of the article seemed to be that because Rafferty is already 24, you can basically throw out his AHL stats. Also brought up the time-warped comparison to Pouliot and Clendening, failed NHL'ers who are also putting up points this year in the AHL. Never mind that while Pouliot is a -17 on the season, Rafferty is a plus-17.

The rest of the article seemed to be a spirited defense of Troy Stecher as a third pairing, right side d-man. But the guy they need to convince is Green--who routinely cuts Stecher's minutes when they're either protecting a lead or trying to come from behind.

Finally, they claim that the fact the Canucks have promoted Chatfield twice as a right-side fill-in "somehow speaks volumes' about what the Canucks think of Rafferty. Never mind the fact that Utica promotions do nothing more than sit in the pressbox anyway, so why would you recall Rafferty to practice and eat popcorn in the skybox?

You expect more from Canucks Army.

Disagree.........I thought the piece made a ton of sense.......just cus this guy wasn't :eek::eek::eek::eek:ing all over himself about Rafferty doesn't mean it wasn't spot on (which i thought it was).

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Screw tempering expectations.
Guy is gonna be a top 2 guy!
Lets do this

Reactions: EXTRAS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad