Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign D - Brogan Rafferty

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Rafferty and Juiolevi both make the team.

well, the top 4 are clearcut. Then the 4 of Rafferty Juolevi Rathbone and Benn are fighting it out for 5 - 6 -7. And maybe they go with 8 D and 13 forwards for the roster. One of the D men can always take the 12th forward spot ...

Because it doesn't look like there will be AHL until Feb. And I suspect the 14 day quarantine will prevent AHL call ups. What do you do with the spare bits ...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
well, the top 4 are clearcut. Then the 4 of Rafferty Juolevi Rathbone and Benn are fighting it out for 5 - 6 -7. And maybe they go with 8 D and 13 forwards for the roster. One of the D men can always take the 12th forward spot ...

Because it doesn't look like there will be AHL until Feb. And I suspect the 14 day quarantine will prevent AHL call ups. What do you do with the spare bits ...
I think rosters will be expanded.

Reactions: iceburg

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
More likely the teams will be able to just paper players as NHL or AHL without actually sending them down. Canucks would just run black aces all season.

Reactions: Diversification

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks got lucky on their blueline last year--with basically 'zero' injuries until Tanev went down in March. With a compressed schedule and facing tough competition in a Canadian division night after night, I can't see how they'll get lucky again.

I think there's a good chance Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone and even Chatfield see some significant minutes for the Canucks. It'll be trial by fire for most of them.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Can we do that and be cap-compliant?
No but a roster limit expansion would also be an exception. If a 14 day quarantine for out of country travel is in effect, they will have to find a solution for the Canadian teams that have US-based minor league affiliates. I'm not sure anybody outside of the PA/league discussions knows right now what that might look like. Teams also don't want to be paying NHL salaries for players on expanded rosters that would otherwise be playing in the AHL or Europe.

I see a possible reserve list of say five players who practice with the team, don't count against the cap, are still on their AHL salaries, and can stay for a limited time (30 days?) before they have to be sent back down (without waivers). Maybe the time limit can be extended if they get into a game and get paid their NHL salary.

iloovRMB

Paul Feyerabend is my spirit animal
Aug 22, 2020
Canucks got lucky on their blueline last year--with basically 'zero' injuries until Tanev went down in March. With a compressed schedule and facing tough competition in a Canadian division night after night, I can't see how they'll get lucky again.

I think there's a good chance Rafferty, Juolevi, Rathbone and even Chatfield see some significant minutes for the Canucks. It'll be trial by fire for most of them.

Removing Tanev from the roster significantly reduces the likelihood of our defensemen getting injured.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Removing Tanev from the roster significantly reduces the likelihood of our defensemen getting injured.
Canucks have always suffered lots of injuries on the back-end going to back before they even had Salo. The back-end will suffer injuries for sure this year in the compressed schedule, and the team will deal with players playing too high in the lineup (others will have the same issue, but most teams have 6-7 players with NHL experience unlike the Canucks who will have a rookie in their top 6 unless someone new is signed).

I'm fine with the trial by fire - this was always going to be a down year. Hopefully 1-2 of the young defencemen show themselves to be players the team can rely on going forward.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I agree that it's kind of exciting that the Canucks are being forced to 'plug and play' as many as two and possibly even three young d-men for the upcoming season. And there won't be any 'quiet nights' if the Canucks play in the Canadian division. Every game will be a war.

You can only hope that Green can get more of a defensive conscience out of his lineup and they can lock things down. Otherwise these young d-men playing in front of Holtby and Demko, could be hung out to dry.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I'm really excited to see a Juolevi-Rafferty tandem. I think they are a good match stylistically and provides us some puck moving ability and skill on the bottom pair.

Rafferty also gives us a PP2 point shot option.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks media did a video talking about Chatfield has the inside edge after Juolevi. Sounds like MGMT/coaching staff isn’t high on Rafferty. What the f*** has Charfield done to deserve the inside edge. He’ll have an uphill battle to make the team out of camp.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Canucks media did a video talking about Chatfield has the inside edge after Juolevi. Sounds like MGMT/coaching staff isn’t high on Rafferty. What the f*** has Charfield done to deserve the inside edge. He’ll have an uphill battle to make the team out of camp.
Chatfield is said to be a player in Tanev’s same vein, where a guy like rafferty may face an uphill battle vying for spots already taken by players such as Hughes and myers and Schmidt.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I defer to Utica watchers to offer an explanation to me as to why Benning has been pumping the tires on Chatfield almost non-stop. What are the Canucks seeing in him that many Utica posters don't seem to see?. I mean he's a slightly undersized d-man who brings next to nothing to table offensively (0 goals and 4 assists in 40 games). That isn't even in Tanev's limited offensive league.

At this point in his career, Chatfield looks like a journeyman d-man to me. So if he has the 'inside track' on the likes of Rafferty, Rathbone and particularly Juolevi, then it has to be an 'epic fail' does it not?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I defer to Utica watchers to offer an explanation to me as to why Benning has been pumping the tires on Chatfield almost non-stop. What are the Canucks seeing in him that many Utica posters don't seem to see?. I mean he's a slightly undersized d-man who brings next to nothing to table offensively (0 goals and 4 assists in 40 games). That isn't even in Tanev's limited offensive league.

At this point in his career, Chatfield looks like a journeyman d-man to me. So if he has the 'inside track' on the likes of Rafferty, Rathbone and particularly Juolevi, then it has to be an 'epic fail' does it not?

He superficially skates well, finishes his checks solidly, and competes hard while spending most of his time in his own zone because he handles and transitions the puck like he's playing with cement gloves or a wrong-handed stick.

I really liked him in 2017 but his puck skills simply have not developed and he's plateaued as a serviceable #4 defensive type at the AHL level. It's absolutely baffling that management somehow thinks this is an NHL player.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Chatfield has 2 goals and 17 points in 142 AHL hockey games. He is where offense goes to die. He seems to get the puck on more offensive rushes and ozone possessions than any other Comet D-man and does less with it than any Comet period. He can't hit the net to save his life. You just know when he is in position to shoot that the puck will be going the other way in seconds. Frustrating as Hell. As to his D-zone play MS has described it perfectly in post #392 above.

Comparing him to Tanev is like comparing caviar to chum/filet mignon to simple ground beef (Not sirloin, round, or even chuck, but the simple words "ground beef" on the packaging).

For him a to be a dependable NHL level D-man it would take the touch of God. It could happen. Right?

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yet Benning continues to sing the praises of Chatfield. I think I'm beginning to understand how this GM could trade for the likes of Sbisa, Clendening, Pedan, Gudbranson, Larsen, and Pouliot, surrendering valuable draft picks for most of them.

This team couldn't identify an NHL caliber d-man on the open market if it tripped over one in a snowbank. I guess you can only pray that they finally got one right with Schmidt.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Yet Benning continues to sing the praises of Chatfield. I think I'm beginning to understand how this GM could trade for the likes of Sbisa, Clendening, Pedan, Gudbranson, Larsen, and Pouliot, surrendering valuable draft picks for most of them.

This team couldn't identify an NHL caliber d-man on the open market if it tripped over one in a snowbank. I guess you can only pray that they finally got one right with Schmidt.
How dare you forget Barkowski and MDZ!! ;)

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
It will be Green's decision who gets played. JB does not decide who is in the lineup. Green does have quirks with d selection but he generally plays the best available. If Rafferty shows well in his role he should beat out Chatfield. Benn and OJ are better as well.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
My take on the D rankings. These are not the actual pairings we will see.

2021 season.

Hughes Schmidt - top pairing

Myers Edler - 2nd pairing

Rafferty Juolevi - 5 - 6

Benn Rathbone - depth, fighting for a spot Benn solid depth know what you get, Rathbone could be a future star, will challenge Rafferty for a spot.

Brisebois Sautner - serviceable depth if needed

chatfield. Borderline depth player. 11th on the list.

Woo could be anywhere from 7 - 12th.

next year 21 - 22.

Add Tryamkin to the mix. Edler likely done though still very servicable if he will take a pay cut. Myers and Schmidt getting on the older side, but still have many years to go. Benn is turning 35 and gone. Jurmo, Utunen, Truscott and Woo get a look in training camp.

Hughes Schmidt

Rafferty, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Rathbone all battling for position likely the 3 - 6 players. (betting on Tryamkin Juolevi as 3 - 4, Tryamkin with Hughes).

Woo, Jurmo, Utunen (and maybe Truscott) fighting for the 7th spot or challenging to be in the top 6.

We may try to trade a good youth player for a steady depth d man at the trade deadline.

This is probably a tad optimistic, but we look to have a good young D corps for 3 - 4 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luckylarry

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019

Chatfield's edge, such as it is, probably has to do with the fact that he was regularly paired with Juolevi. With a shortened and condensed season upcoming, their chemistry is probably top of mind for management. So I would guess their enthusiasm for Chatfield is spillover from their enthusiasm for Juolevi cracking the lineup.

I would also guess this is all subject to change once we see how their prized d prospect meshes (or doesn't) with the other RDs.

As for the idea that Juolevi and Rafferty should constitute the bottom pairing, I think it's telling that this pair hasn't even happened in Utica. Probably unlikely to happen with Green. With a guy like Rafferty, he's probably going to have to be patient for injuries and would need to be paired with a stay-at-home LD vet like Edler.

VasilyHoglander

Jun 28, 2014
West Vancouver
For starter Chatfield can actually defend at the AHL level. Rafferty needs to up his compete level and learn to defend at the AHL level big time

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
Agree with the two posters above, that it's time for armchair GMs like myself to realise there must be some valid reason Rafferty hasn't quite got that spot despite favourable situation (right shot, and contract status). He probably needs that next step on defensive ability, and the associated adaptability with Juolevi (or a Rathbone who I'd actually prefer).

Down the road..... 2022 and beyond, I wish somehow a right-handed top 4 can pop up. The problem with our prospects is that only Woo (and 7th rounder Persson?) are right shots. Of course Tryamkin can play the right side but he ain't a prospect anymore.....

The Rathbone fan in me would dream for:
Hughes - ???? (if only Rafferty/Tryamkin can be this, but I say unlikely.....)
Rathbone - Schmidt
Edler/Juolevi - Myers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->