Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Brock Boeser to 3 year deal worth 5.875 million annually. | #607

Thoughts on the deal?

• Total voters

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is weird take.

a) you prefer to have a lower cap hit while this team is pretty far from competing
b) you want to pay a significant higher cap hit while also Pettersson, Hughes and Horvat will be on big ticket contracts and you also want to pay him a high salary in the 2nd half the 8 year deal when his play will be surely on decline

It would be much smarter to have him signed to an 8 year deal now which would include his 22-30 year old season. Having a ~2m higher cap hit over the next 3 years would have been a non-issue if it wasnt for the incompetent GM handing out stupid contracts to 4th liners. By the time Boeser gets to 29-30y he may already be in decline and accept a better deal or the team could just move on instead of overpaying for past achiements.
Now the team may sign him to 8y / 12m in 2022 and be stick with a ~4m higher cap hit from 2022 till 2027 and has another 3y with about 12m cap hit when he is only a shadow of his former self.
This doesnt even take into account that he could just go to the arbitrator in 2022 and get himself a 2y deal till UFA in 2024.
Incompetence at its best.

Why was it a weird take by poster pettersson? Seems like you're misconstruing his points.

Also, who is talking about an 8 year deal for Boeser except you? And if you think that Boeser may already be in decline by the time he gets to 29-30 years old, why would you sign him to an 8 year contract? You're advocating that the Canucks to sign Boeser to a contract length that you think may be too long.

Like I said before, if you go back to previous Boeser talk, many of us had reservations about Boeser. Some posters were concerned about his durability, others about how injuries can impact his game, and others think his defensive commitment is among the worst in the league. I would have made a long-term bet on Boeser but I can see the merits of playing it safe, especially if I think he may already be in decline by the time he gets to 29-30 years of age.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Alright, so Point's deal comes in at $6.75MM x 3 years after putting up a 41 goal, 92 point season. Yes, the taxes yadda yadda but only comes in 900k above Boeser.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Alright, so Point's deal comes in at $6.75MM x 3 years after putting up a 41 goal, 92 point season. Yes, the taxes yadda yadda but only comes in 900k above Boeser.
"Taxes yadda yadda" is for people who are literally dumb

Reactions: HankNDank

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

They should have signed him long term but didn't have the cap room. There should also be no reason that Point misses a day of training camp. This deal could of and should of been done months ago. Incompetence! :sarcasm:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They should have signed him long term but didn't have the cap room. Incompetence! :sarcasm:

Couldn't sign him long term because they had signed 4 elite young players to excellent deals

vs.

Couldn't sign him long term because they spent $21MM on our bottom-6 and blew our loads on non-needle moving players in FA.

Damn! Hard to say which situation is more embarassing!!

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Couldn't sign him long term because they had signed 4 elite young players to excellent deals

vs.

Couldn't sign him long term because they spent $21MM on our bottom-6 and blew our loads on non-needle moving players in FA.

Damn! Hard to say which situation is more difficult!!
That post was mind numbing....

I mean lets apply the same logic.....guys praising the crap out of Benning for 26 goal 50ish point guy getting $5.875.....Tampa's got a 1st line C, 40 goal 90+ point guy at only under a million more, and a what appears to be a lower QO moving forward.

Was wrong on the QO.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
curious how many sarcasm emojis are needed before posters will not take a poster seriously?

Mind numbing.

Because that poster in question is notorious for having opinions very similar to what he just posted and doesn't always add the emoji. Honestly, read through F A N posts and add the emoji to the end of posts that don't have them, or take this emoji away....the posts all read pretty damn similarly.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because that poster in question is notorious for having opinions very similar to what he just posted and doesn't always add the emoji. Honestly, read through F A N posts and add the emoji to the end of posts that don't have them, or take this emoji away....the posts all read pretty damn similarly.

honestly, you're also notorious for your opinions being slanted strongly in one direction, but i still deal with the ones expressed in the posts you actually make.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Jeff Skinner's cap % in 4 years at an assumed $90m upper cap limit is $9.9m AAV. I think the upper limit will blow past $90m on the backs of the new us tv deal and seattle expansion.

I don't think Skinner can be used as a bench mark here, at least under the current cap ceiling rate. Buffalo bit early before free agency opened and didn't get the benefit of the market re-adjustment. In this summer UFA market Skinner probably only gets $7M a year.

Generally though I'm fine with a 3 year deal on Boeser. I think you have enough room under the salary cap to pay your top 4-5 guys what they're worth, rather it's wasting money on the rest of the roster you need to worry about with the clowns in charge.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That post was mind numbing....

I mean lets apply the same logic.....guys praising the crap out of Benning for 26 goal 50ish point guy getting $5.875.....Tampa's got a 1st line C, 40 goal 90+ point guy at only under a million more, and a what appears to be a lower QO moving forward.

Was wrong on the QO.

So for the record, you think that the Canucks should have squeezed Boeser harder and get him to sign for a lower cap hit. How much lower? Why don't you offer an opinion on what you think this 26 goal 50ish point guy should be getting over the next 3 years.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
They got respectively ideal contracts for their circumstances. I think everyone wins in both deals. Point's QO will be higher than Boeser's at contract's end, but it's likely that both players are making >$9m in 3 years anyway.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Green confirmed after practice that boeser is now in concussion protocol. Just f***ing fantastic. Doubt he’s ready for opening night now

Also fantenberg is in concussion protocol as well

Reactions: Ghetty Green

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Green confirmed after practice that boeser is now in concussion protocol. Just ****ing fantastic. Doubt he’s ready for opening night now

Also fantenberg is in concussion protocol as well

Missed the game last night - did Boeser leave the game after he got concussed, or did the Canucks keep playing him further into the game?

And for the love of cheese whiz would someone start an injury thread please.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
He finished the game and looked fine so was surprise that he’s in the protocol.
Hopefully it’s just protocol....sigh

Well that's not good.

Hopefully it is just symptoms that could indicate a concussion, and he will proceed quickly through the protocol and it was not in fact a concussion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad