Confirmed with Link: Canucks sign Brock Boeser to 3 year deal worth 5.875 million annually. | #607

Thoughts on the deal?

• Total voters

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I think the important thing here is team success during the 3 years of Boeser's bridge deal. If he continues progressing, then yes, he'll be expensive to sign long term. However, if the core is coming together and the team is building up to something special then the core players will hopefully have incentive to take a cut to keep the ride going.

If the team keeps floundering, then yeah Boeser is going to want full value to stick in the shit show.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. He says 6 years at $7M AAV was an overpayment yet condemns Benning for not signing Boeser to a long term contract by offering an even greater overpayment.

When have I condemned Benning for anything?

I’m simply commenting on the process and the evidence for how this evolved.

AGAIN, I think this is a perfectly average contract and given my concerns about Boeser I’m happier that a bridge deal is the way it went.

However, the evidence is overwhelming that the team put itself in a position where they couldn’t get the long-term deal they desired due to their offseason spending and getting caught with their pants down on the Luongo recapture.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Boeser finished the game and looked fine and there is still over a week until the season starts so he should be fine

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Canucks medical staff would never let him play with a concussion and finish the game. They are the best in pro sports.

I’m legitimately not sure if this is sarcastic or not but just in case it isn’t:

They completely mishandled Boeser’s back injury in his rookie season.

They put Demko and Pettersson on flights immediately after they sustained concussions, which made Demko’s symptoms even worse.

Reactions: vanuck and timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I’m legitimately not sure if this is sarcastic or not but just in case it isn’t:

They completely mishandled Boeser’s back injury in his rookie season.

They put Demko and Pettersson on flights immediately after they sustained concussions, which made Demko’s symptoms even worse.

It's sarcastic for sure. Our medical team (and management when it comes to injuries) is terrible.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

AGAIN, I think this is a perfectly average contract and given my concerns about Boeser I’m happier that a bridge deal is the way it went.

However, the evidence is overwhelming that the team put itself in a position where they couldn’t get the long-term deal they desired due to their offseason spending and getting caught with their pants down on the Luongo recapture.

Or the evidence is overwhelming that the team moved on from negotiating a long-term deal after their last longer-term offer (which you called an overpayment) was rejected.

Reactions: Numba9

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC

You have very little evidence to prove what you want to prove, that Jim Benning and his team, after trying to sign Boeser to a long term deal around the draft, without any planning decided to go on a free agent binge and then when they remembered that they still needed to resign Boeser went "Oopsies" I think we made a dumb dumb mistake and now we can't sign Boeser to a long term deal like we want. Dim Jim so stupid.

What if before the draft they were still unsure if they wanted to sign Boeser to a long term deal or a bridge deal due to his health issues. The plan was always to spend in free agency but before they did that they wanted to see if they can make a long term deal work. Once Boeser's camp declined the offer, they said fine lets go into FA and let's spend to to max leaving enough to sign Boeser to the same 7Mx6 long (also taking into account the Luongo recapture). If Boeser's camp still doesn't like the long term deal then they were fine going with a bridge deal.

Now which one do you think seems more plausible?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You have very little evidence to prove what you want to prove, that Jim Benning and his team, after trying to sign Boeser to a long term deal around the draft, without any planning decided to go on a free agent binge and then when they remembered that they still needed to resign Boeser went "Oopsies" I think we made a dumb dumb mistake and now we can't sign Boeser to a long term deal like we want. Dim Jim so stupid.

What if before the draft they were still unsure if they wanted to sign Boeser to a long term deal or a bridge deal due to his health issues. The plan was always to spend in free agency but before they did that they wanted to see if they can make a long term deal work. Once Boeser's camp declined the offer, they said fine lets go into FA and let's spend to to max leaving enough to sign Boeser to the same 7Mx6 long (also taking about the Luongo recapture. If Boeser's camp still doesn't like the long term deal then they were fine going with a bridge deal.

Now which one do you think seems more plausible?

‘Very little evidence’ = Boeser’s agent pretty much spelling out exactly what happened.

There really isn’t anywhere else to go from there. They worked on a long-term deal for a year, were ‘very close’, and then we spent a bunch of money, things ‘tightened up’ and we changed tack at that exact time to pursue a shorter lower AAV deal.

This is an astonishingly pointless argument because the usual crowd will just keep arguing that it was a magic coincidence that we changed tack at the exact time that our big UFA spending and the Luongo recapture happened.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
‘Very little evidence’ = Boeser’s agent pretty much spelling out exactly what happened.

There really isn’t anywhere else to go from there. They worked on a long-term deal for a year, were ‘very close’, and then we spent a bunch of money, things ‘tightened up’ and we changed tack at that exact time to pursue a shorter lower AAV deal.

This is an astonishingly pointless argument because the usual crowd will just keep arguing that it was a magic coincidence that we changed tack at the exact time that our big UFA spending and the Luongo recapture happened.
You understand that what agent said could apply to both scenarios right? That's the reason why you have very little evidence. There are multiple scenarios that could have played out using the evidence that we have; many of which don't have Jim looking like an idiot like you want. It's not astonishing and pretty predictable that the usual crowd would take what little evidence there is and then jump to a conclusion that fits their agenda.

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019

Interesting. I would say this is an “astonishingly” pointless argument because regardless of what is discussed, it will be paraded out as fact down the road. In this case, down the road means less than a week.

Perhaps we’ll fast forward 6 months when someone asks for your source. You could reference this thread and claim to be tired of rehashing old arguments.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Interesting. I would say this is an “astonishingly” pointless argument because regardless of what is discussed, it will be paraded out as fact down the road. In this case, down the road means less than a week.

Perhaps we’ll fast forward 6 months when someone asks for your source. You could reference this thread and claim to be tired of rehashing old arguments.
It will be...but rephrased as a 'mountainful' of evidence.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

If Boeser’s agent had said exactly the same sort of thing he did except supporting your position you’d be saying this was case closed due to cold hard fact.

Also I thought you weren’t interacting with me anymore because you didn’t like an analogy I presented that made your argument look stupid?

Reactions: Jyrki21

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
If Boeser’s agent had said exactly the same sort of thing he did except supporting your position you’d be saying this was case closed due to cold hard fact.

Also I thought you weren’t interacting with me anymore because you didn’t like an analogy I presented that made your argument look stupid?

You still stand by this analogy:

“If the team had hired a crackhead from the corner of Main/Hastings in 2014, that crackhead had run the team into the ground with a series of terrible trades and signings, and then taken the highest-rated player in the THN Draft Preview with the free high draft pick given to him by the league as a reward for sucking ... the state of our youth would be basically identical.“

Incredible.

Aside from your obvious baiting, let me know when you find some actual evidence to support your position. The agent’s interview isn’t it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You still stand by this analogy:

“If the team had hired a crackhead from the corner of Main/Hastings in 2014, that crackhead had run the team into the ground with a series of terrible trades and signings, and then taken the highest-rated player in the THN Draft Preview with the free high draft pick given to him by the league as a reward for sucking ... the state of our youth would be basically identical.“

Incredible.

Aside from your obvious baiting, let me know when you find some actual evidence to support your position. The agent’s interview isn’t it.

Absolutely I stand by that analogy. Please explain why you disagree with it.

The NHL rewards failure with high draft picks. Literally any idiot hired as a GM who failed at their job and finished terribly in the standings would automatically get a high pick, and by taking the consensus player from a source as basic as the THN Draft Preview with those high picks you’d pretty much automatically get an outstanding young player.

After 5 years of this, those high first and 2nd round picks would pretty much automatically be a fine group of young players. Therefore, ‘we have good young players so the GM is doing a good job’ is a horrifically flawed argument since literally the best way to get the best young players is to do a terrible job.

It’s absolutely stunning that you don’t seem to understand something this basic. Like, this is basically what Edmonton has been doing for the last decade.

And when you didn’t like losing the argument, you had a tantrum and threw your toys and started attacking me instead. Just like when @Ronning On Empty was curbstomping you in a completely different argument.

The agent who was in the room explaining how the negotiations happened isn’t evidence? Amazing.

But if you need more evidence, it’s the fact that all of the timing lines up with Hankinson’s quotes and the fact that a contract over the team’s ‘limit’ simply wasn’t feasible around the rest of their moves.

Reactions: timw33

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

This is 100% on the Canucks training staff, coaches and management.

Boeser is your asset.

You are supposed to protect your asset.

I actually can’t believe how poorly they handled this.

No concussion protocol, no sitting him just to be safe (it’s a preseason game), no physical response from the team (remember when they all stood around when Pettersson got concussed?), coach says “its a hockey play,” no outraged statement from management demanding a very harsh and severe suspension for what was a clearly dirty play in a preseason game.

It’s actually pathetic.

One of these days the horrible injury/concussion prevention and treatment by this team is going to cost them dearly.

Boeser, Pettersson, Demko, these players are the entire future and they’ve all had their concussions mismanaged. If they have lingering issues from this, it could spell doom for our future.

The second concussion is always worse than the first. And with how badly the first has been managed for our young core, it could end up diminishing their long term effectiveness as players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad