Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
If this trade would have gone thru pre-Schmidt HF would be universally singing Vancouvers praise for complete theft from a desperate franchise. No Pod, no Hog, no Demko, no Rathbone and they also get to dump Sutter?

Its a complete shite deal for Arizona even in this environment.

Vancouver just happened to pull off an even bigger coup in real life with Schmidt.

Hardly. Vancouver's 2021 1st is just as good or better an asset of the prospects you listed, especially coming off of a draft where we didn't select till the 3rd round. I don't know specifically what prompted Arizona to want to move OEL but if that was Vancouver's offer they're not going to get a better deal than that. That's a pretty good haul to get in a normal off season, considering the current climate it would have been a complete gift from Vancouver. And a complete boneheaded move by Benning because acquiring OEL without moving Eriksson makes the Canucks salary cap an impossible situation next season.

Remember that Boston was in the mix too, had better assets to offer, but their offer was even less satisfactory to Arizona.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Surprised Arizona rejected that if true. They won’t get a better offer in the flat cap era imo. And they desperately need draft picks with all of their forfeited picks. Boston’s offer must have been truly horrible though.

Wouldn’t shock me if the Bruins tried again on OEL. They lost Krug and haven’t replaced him. You never know.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Arizona’s screwed by their ex GM. Feel sorry for the fans who are being unfairly punished by his actions. Hopefully they can make some moves and recoup some draft picks and get things going in the right direction again.
Hockey is a game you can't moneyball. It takes more than good stats and skill, players need chemistry to win.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Surprised no prospect was offered. Deal doesn't get much better than that when there are only 2 teams to choose from, Benning was saved from himself here.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Got a better defenseman for a 3rd anyway, Benning just wins despite all the noise. OEL still living off his reputation.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
If this trade would have gone thru pre-Schmidt HF would be universally singing Vancouvers praise for complete theft from a desperate franchise. No Pod, no Hog, no Demko, no Rathbone and they also get to dump Sutter?

Its a complete shite deal for Arizona even in this environment.

Vancouver just happened to pull off an even bigger coup in real life with Schmidt.
On the Canucks board there's a large contingent of people who would not trade anything for OEL.

There are some who wouldn't trade Eriksson straight up for OEL.

OEL's contract is extraordinarily bad and his play has been declining for a few years now. It's no guarantee that at age 29 he stops a multi-year regression and goes back to being elite. In the meantime you have the 6th highest paid dman in the league playing like a #3 signed for 7 more years and declining.

We've been bracing for a bad OEL trade or big Barrie signing for weeks so we are over the moon that we got Schmidt for a 3rd instead

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I'm sorry, I call BS on all this "Benning was saved from himself here" revisionist history. That frames this as "Arizona was stupid to turn this down" which is a load of malarkey. This is Benning making a low-ball offer for a top pairing defender due to the current climate and it being rightfully turned down. Just because Vancouver didn't have a first rounder this year doesn't mean next year's first rounder is any more valuable to anybody save Vancouver itself. The Canucks are coming off an impressive playoff run led by a young core. That pick isn't going to be / should not be any lower than 20 overall next year. I'd way rather have Pod or Hoglander coming off the year he had or Demko than that pick. Rathbone, sure, probably the pick but the only reason people kept mentioning him is because he was the best blueline asset that most Canucks fans felt was at least somewhat reasonable to part with.

Throw all the stats about OEL declining out there you want, I'm not going to judge a 29 year-old former franchise face defender on the basis of a down year on an organization that has continually struggled. He probably needs to get out of Arizona and the Coyotes need to get something pretty good back for him. If he ends up on Boston, high likelihood he looks a lot better and people will suddenly be like "oh I guess OEL isn't an overpaid bum".

Benning should be praised for doing his due diligence and offering a deal that is very palatable to get a player like OEL. It got turned down, they moved on and Benning STOLE Schmidt for next to nothing. It all came up roses for Vancouver, 100%. That does not mean this was a good offer or that Bill Armstrong is a moron for turning it down.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
From Coyotes beat reporter Craig Morgan
I heard from many informed sources on the board that the most Vancouver would offer was Eriksson, Juolevi, and a third. Something about Benning and leverage and the ghost of Kesler past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby and voxel

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Schmidt for a 3rd >>>>>>>>> that deal.

Not even close

Yes and no. Do you like Sutter? And what is the cost of dumping Sutter if you need cap space? A 1st?

I think the above trade would be a massive win if it included Ericsson instead. Basically adding only $2.25M cap and dumping a bad player.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
So what happens next year when the owner has to start paying 10.5mm a year.
I'm still not sure when or why this fiasco started but once your captain is asked to provide a trade list then hes gotta go sooner or later.
Reminds me of Kesler who asked for a trade and ownership balked at a trade offer from the ducks and kept him but the next summer accepted what the ducks gm said was a reduced offer because he was getting an older Kesler.
If he has a bad year his third in a row then the offer gets reduced from that whatever that was lol

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The fact that Benning had agreed to send 1st, 2nd, Virtanen and Sutter for OEL only to be turned down and then couple days later sending a 3rd round pick for a much better defenseman on a much better contract makes NHL such an amazing league. The sheer collective incompetence in the NHL front offices, largely run by former players who have been hit in the head way too many times in their lives, is truly something else.

Reactions: thefutures

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Curious what Boston offered? Would think they'd be motivated to put in a better trade proposal w/ the Torey Krug negotiation obviously not being fruitful.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Reminds me of Kesler who asked for a trade and ownership balked at a trade offer from the ducks and kept him but the next summer accepted what the ducks gm said was a reduced offer because he was getting an older Kesler.
If he has a bad year his third in a row then the offer gets reduced from that whatever that was lol

Is that how it went down? I thought Gillis had tried to trade Kesler the year before to Pittsburgh and ownership stepped in and nixed the deal. Then that off-season Kesler demanded a trade and Benning moving him to Anaheim?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
From Coyotes beat reporter Craig Morgan
So, essentially, Vancouver was checking in to see if they could get him for free.
Can’t blame them for trying.
Honestly, it’s time to fold the coyotes organization. They are embarrassing to the nhl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad