Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

member 328930

Sutter would cost more than a first round pick to dump right now. Terrible offer but they were only negotiating with themselves so I wouldnt offer more either. Canucks lucky that Schmidt fell in their lap

lol, why? It’s one year and he’s off the books and you can actually play him in your lineup. You are out of your mind if a first is not enough for that.

AZ should have taken the offer. OELs contract is so bad and his play regressing....he’s almost a cap dump himself.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
In normal times, that's probably a soft offer for OEL. I'm not even sure Vancouver makes the playoffs next year and OEL may be on the decline. Giving up a lottery pick and getting saddled with a massive contract on a declining player could absolutely screw the luck we had with Petey and Hughes. Lots of ways that can go poorly.

Much happier with how things turned out.

that’s what isn’t mentioned enough in this thread, and makes me shocked the coyotes didn’t take that deal

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ya I'm shocked they declined it too

During this covid time, that's a VERY good offer
I wouldn’t consider moving OEL for that package. It’s an easy pass. I’m very glad to have the #1D instead of Virtanen, two future picks, and a dump. If Hoglander or Podkolzin were swapped in for one of the picks, I’d have done the deal. Sounds like Armstrong felt the same way.

Meanwhile, Vancouver got Schmidt for a 3rd by some miracle and plain dumb luck, so it worked out. Vancouver got a good D without giving up a 1st and 2nd. Arizona didn’t have to lose OEL for a woefully underwhelming package. Everyone is happy.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Any salary dump for me would have had to include Eriksson so if we were giving up a 1st, 2nd and Virtanen and the dump wasn't Eriksson, I wouldn't have been happy.

Reactions: THE Green Man

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I heard from many informed sources on the board that the most Vancouver would offer was Eriksson, Juolevi, and a third. Something about Benning and leverage and the ghost of Kesler past.

I also remember reading that Benning was desperate and it was only a matter of time before he’d cave as there was no way he’d be getting a top pairing defenseman elsewhere with what they were offering given their cap situation. Guess people were wrong on both sides.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Trade talks would begin and end depending on Arizona's willingness to take on Eriksson's contract as part of the deal...
Except that they didn’t.

The package offered didn’t include Eriksson. And the reason it wasn’t accepted had nothing to do with Eriksson. Arizona ultimately declined because they wanted one of Demko, Podkolzin or Hoglander instead of one of those picks.

Dreger tweeted just ahead of the 9am deadline that Vancouver added a last minute piece to the deal, but it wasn’t enough to get the trade done. I expect that last minute piece was the 2nd.

Reactions: Mosby

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sutter would cost more than a first round pick to dump right now. Terrible offer but they were only negotiating with themselves so I wouldnt offer more either. Canucks lucky that Schmidt fell in their lap

This is missing the point. Technically to dump Sutter's contract straight up would cost between a 1st and a 2nd, yes Marleau took a 1st last year but Marc Staal was a 2nd a month ago. Depends on the taker but I don't think anyone is taking cap dumps anymore.

But regardless the point here is that's the trade value for the $$$ alone. In a swap of contracts with $$$ going both ways the value changes, and OEL is a massive contract. The Sutter contract would be a very light add-on to take back OEL's contract. There's a reason why good quality players on $5M+ contracts are going for like 3rd and 5ths right now.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
What’s not clear is how much salary retention Vancouver we’re insisting on. There is no way Vancouver offered that much unless Arizona was going to retain a substantial portion of that albatross contract. I’m guessing that was the sticking point

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
It was at the 2014 trade deadline where the Pittsburgh deal was reportedly nixed, that was when Gillis was still GM. That off-season is when he demanded a trade and gave new GM Benning two teams, Chicago and Anaheim, as potential destinations.
It's hard to imagine Kesler being offered up if so then Kesler would have told the twins to go talk to Gilles since it was him trying to trade Kesler , instead the twins went to Kesler to try to get him to change his mind because he was needed for any late cup run for the Sedins.
I'm thinking Kesler wanted some California sunshine and maybe greener pastures with Getzlaf and Perry.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Except that they didn’t.

The package offered didn’t include Eriksson. And the reason it wasn’t accepted had nothing to do with Eriksson. Arizona ultimately declined because they wanted one of Demko, Podkolzin or Hoglander instead of one of those picks.

Dreger tweeted just ahead of the 9am deadline that Vancouver added a last minute piece to the deal, but it wasn’t enough to get the trade done. I expect that last minute piece was the 2nd.

I'm saying if I were running the Canucks, I would only trade for OEL if Arizona was willing to take back Eriksson...

Sorry if that wasn't more clear...

Reactions: THE Green Man

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Interesting that Vancouver offered that much for a player with that much term and money and cap hit in an economic environment that we are currently in.
I do believe reputations can last quite a long time in this league without taking into account the current.
This was OEL from a few years ago.
Old-OEL.png

This is him today
OEL-New.png

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
What’s not clear is how much salary retention Vancouver we’re insisting on. There is no way Vancouver offered that much unless Arizona was going to retain a substantial portion of that albatross contract. I’m guessing that was the sticking point

Yep. There are a few defenseman who, while I would love them on my team, I would not go near them on my team with their terrible long term contracts. Karlsson, Doughty, OEL, etc. OEL has the best contract of them but also the worst even with the decline in Karlsson and Doughty. No thanks. It won't be long before Ari are paying to get rid of OEL

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
I don't see how this is terrible. Are people purposefully forgetting the context of this deal?

Management went to OEL for a trade list and he returns with two teams which severely limited the return from the start.

OEL is not worth his deal now let alone seven years from now. He is being paid to be a top 5 defenseman in the league and didn't deliver in the first year of his contract. The Canucks would be assuming a huge risk in this trade. Who knows if he ever lives up to the expectations of his contract however considering he will be on the wrong side of 30 for most of it, the odds are he will not.

Now factor in the flat cap and the current economic state of the league and the fact there are many teams looking to dump cap and his contract looks even more unappealing. The Canucks are two years way from emerging from this cap hell and this deal would put them right back in it for the next seven years. His contract would be a benchmark for the team moving forward.

The Canucks were also slipping in the standings when play was stopped due to Covid. Prior to this year they have also been one of, if not the worst team in the league over several seasons. There is a very real chance they regress this season and fall back into the lottery. If the Coyotes owned both of their high picks that would be a disaster.

In the end, it sounds like Benning was saved from himself and fell into a much more favorable deal in Schmidt. Once again, it shows the kind of value that can be extracted if your team has cap flexibility. I am skeptical the Coyotes are going to receive a better offer moving forward.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Schmidt deinitely the better option for Van. But they werent presented with that option until Friday night.

One of those one door closes a better one opens kinda thing.

I bet you Sutter even gets traded at the deadline and returns the Canucks at least a 4th rnd pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->