Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

Mar 20, 2010
At the time, wasn't it reported that the issue was the 'quality of the prospect' included in the deal?

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
That offer wasn’t completely void of value. Their refusal should show they weren’t desperate to move him like some seemed to believe.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
So what happens next year when the owner has to start paying 10.5mm a year.
I'm still not sure when or why this fiasco started but once your captain is asked to provide a trade list then hes gotta go sooner or later.
Reminds me of Kesler who asked for a trade and ownership balked at a trade offer from the ducks and kept him but the next summer accepted what the ducks gm said was a reduced offer because he was getting an older Kesler.
If he has a bad year his third in a row then the offer gets reduced from that whatever that was lol
Yep.

The days before free agency was probably OEL's peak value for the foreseeable future.

Boston probably offered Vaakanainen + 2nd or something like that

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Vancouver really should have kept Markstrom and done the trade with Phoenix that included Demko. Yes Demko was great in the playoffs but he already had two hip surgeries and after watching what happened to Cory Schneider I would trade him for OEL in a heartbeat.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Is that how it went down? I thought Gillis had tried to trade Kesler the year before to Pittsburgh and ownership stepped in and nixed the deal. Then that off-season Kesler demanded a trade and Benning moving him to Anaheim?
I don't remember the penguins in on it just that Kesler wanted out and the ducks were his team although it's been said he had a two team list like OEL so perhaps the pens were there.
I remember it was reported the twins both pleaded with Kesler to stay because with the departure of our 2C selke winner , went any cup hopes of the aging core.
If the Sedins were asking Kesler to stay then it wasnt Gilles forcing him out it seems.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I’m glad it was declined. A 29 year old signed until 2027 at over 8 mil when we have Hughes, another offensive D man would be nice but their are negatives for the Canucks as well in terms of cap and age.

Reactions: hesh

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Sutter would cost more than a first round pick to dump right now. Terrible offer but they were only negotiating with themselves so I wouldnt offer more either. Canucks lucky that Schmidt fell in their lap

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
Lets put this in perspective....
OEL for: 1st & 2nd round picks, Sutter and Virtanen
Schmidt for: 3rd round pick

To me it's a no brainer on which is the better bargain! Which one of these offers would you take?

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
In normal times, that's probably a soft offer for OEL. In the flat cap world where EVERYONE is trying to ditch cap and the Coyotes are rumored to be trying to clear money - I actually wonder if they get a better offer? Vancouver acquiring OEL for that package is far from riskless. I'm not even sure Vancouver makes the playoffs next year and OEL may be on the decline. Giving up a lottery pick and getting saddled with a massive contract on a declining player could absolutely screw the luck we had with Petey and Hughes. Lots of ways that can go poorly.

Much happier with how things turned out.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't remember the penguins in on it just that Kesler wanted out and the ducks were his team although it's been said he had a two team list like OEL so perhaps the pens were there.
I remember it was reported the twins both pleaded with Kesler to stay because with the departure of our 2C selke winner , went any cup hopes of the aging core.
If the Sedins were asking Kesler to stay then it wasnt Gilles forcing him out it seems.

It was at the 2014 trade deadline where the Pittsburgh deal was reportedly nixed, that was when Gillis was still GM. That off-season is when he demanded a trade and gave new GM Benning two teams, Chicago and Anaheim, as potential destinations.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
I'm sorry, I call BS on all this "Benning was saved from himself here" revisionist history. That frames this as "Arizona was stupid to turn this down" which is a load of malarkey. This is Benning making a low-ball offer for a top pairing defender due to the current climate and it being rightfully turned down. Just because Vancouver didn't have a first rounder this year doesn't mean next year's first rounder is any more valuable to anybody save Vancouver itself. The Canucks are coming off an impressive playoff run led by a young core. That pick isn't going to be / should not be any lower than 20 overall next year. I'd way rather have Pod or Hoglander coming off the year he had or Demko than that pick. Rathbone, sure, probably the pick but the only reason people kept mentioning him is because he was the best blueline asset that most Canucks fans felt was at least somewhat reasonable to part with.

Throw all the stats about OEL declining out there you want, I'm not going to judge a 29 year-old former franchise face defender on the basis of a down year on an organization that has continually struggled. He probably needs to get out of Arizona and the Coyotes need to get something pretty good back for him. If he ends up on Boston, high likelihood he looks a lot better and people will suddenly be like "oh I guess OEL isn't an overpaid bum".

Benning should be praised for doing his due diligence and offering a deal that is very palatable to get a player like OEL. It got turned down, they moved on and Benning STOLE Schmidt for next to nothing. It all came up roses for Vancouver, 100%. That does not mean this was a good offer or that Bill Armstrong is a moron for turning it down.
It saved benning from himself because he's not capable of cap management. ARZ did the canucks a favor by not desperately trading their big ticket defender. Let's not pretend Vancouver is one OEL away from winning anything. The offer from Boston wasn't much better by all accounts, they were atleast offering a better prospect though. Can't do much with 2 teams to pick from.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Interesting rumour. Don’t believe it though. Doubtful Benning would take on OEL without Loui going the other way. Plus, he wouldn’t include a first. If this was an actual offer, why in heaven didn’t Arizona jump on that? Now that the Canucks got Schmidt (who is on a far better contract than OEL) for a 2022 third round pick the Coyotes have only Boston left to move OEL to. Any further offer from the Bees will be even less than before. So, considering all this, I’m very sceptical of such a rumoured offer.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Very happy, that never happen. Would of been terrible for the Canucks. Ugly contract.
Agreed. OEL and his contract for the rumoured cost, or Schmidt and his contract for a 2022 third rounder? It’s pretty obvious which is better for Vancouver. Sure looks like OEL is staying a Coyote for a long time now. I guess a GM has to understand this new market, and pounce when he gets a crazy good offer.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
At the time, wasn't it reported that the issue was the 'quality of the prospect' included in the deal?
Or lack there of. If that was the offer, seems like Vancouver more willing to give up picks than prospects.

Curious what the Bruins offer was. Rumor that Arizona liked the Bruins prospects better than cap dump and Virtanan, but my guess is the Bruins didn't offer the picks unless their was salary retention, but Arizona liked the Bruins better prospects.

Canucks made out like bandits with Schmidt trade, so probably for the best there them.

Bruins still... have no idea what's happening.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I don't think the Canucks could've made a serious pitch here without the 1st being included, despite having all the leverage.

Considering the flat cap & OEL's contract, I actually don't think its a horrible offer (not great either) - but I understand Arizona wanting a better primary piece considering he's their top asset.

I wanted OEL, but am very happy with the Schmidt trade instead.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->