Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
From Coyotes beat reporter Craig Morgan

I have heard from multiple sources that the sides had agreed on a draft pick and a contract coming back to Arizona, but they never could agree on the prospect. I think the Coyotes wanted either Thatcher Demko, Vasili Podkolzin or Nils Höglander and the Canucks kept saying no. I have also heard that the Vancouver offer was a first-round pick, a second-round pick, Jake Virtanen and Brandon Sutter.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Too much in a flat cap imo. I’d prefer Schmidt for a third even though I think OEL is slightly better. But OEL’s contract is a big concern going forward. The price to dump contracts is too high right now and Sutter while overpaid is still a useful player.

Reactions: Cogburn

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
No kidding, in light of the Schmidt trade
Dumping Sutter is easily worth a 2nd. So the offer was Virtanen and a 1st for OEL. Weigh that against just a 3rd for Schmidt, and Vancouver did pretty well. At the same time, it’s not nearly good enough value to justify Arizona making that trade. So both sides are probably better off.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Didn’t understand why Vancouver was in on OEL anyway. Don’t they have Hughes and Edler as their top two LD? Why do they need OEL?

Agreed. They also have Jack Rathbone & Olli Juolevi whom are probably top-3 or top-5 in the Canucks prospect pool (depending where Nils Hoglander/Mike DiPietro slot).

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Would have bee terrible for Arizona.

Vancouver got a steal with Schmidt, good on them for that but that doesn’t make this a good deal for Arizona to deal their #1 defenseman for. Alex Pietrangelo is not walking through the doors in Arizona. That package ain’t that hot to start with and you have to take on Sutters salary to make it work?

The Nucks seemed like a poor match for an OEL deal from the start. Credit them for being patient and ending up with Schmidt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad