Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If Benning did make this offer, what the heck is wrong with the Coyotes for not jumping on it? And, as a Canuck’s fan, thank the hockey Gods they chose to refuse. And what the heck was Benning thinking?
The value of OEL has the star and captain is bigger to Arizona than any other team where he is just a good player.

Reactions: CanadianCoyote

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I hope you have a source for Schmidt having taken steroids. If not that’s a pretty libellous statement. Last I heard he was found with a PED, which could be a host of different things, which he and his team are adamant was completely unintentional.

Can you supply a source that he was caught with Steroids?
He might have been caught with the most powerful performance enhancing drug ever formulated by scientists: weed!

Reactions: Nucks2477

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Lol.. this was a brutal offer by Vancouver. How did they think Arizona would fall for this? This isn't NHL 20 where more picks/players = high trade value

I mean we got an (arguably) better defender, on a cheaper contract, for a third, from a team that was undoubtedly more desperate to dump cap.

Value is subjective, the rumour is Boston (the only other team in on this) would have offered less.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
If that was the offer from Canucks thank you Coyotes for saving us from ourselves. The fall out was getting Schmidt for a 3rd damn we got lucky. I like OEL but I'd rather we walk away with Schmidt at that price and considering he plays the right side we came out in great shape.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Wow, thank goodness that didn’t go through. To the posters saying Benning learned his lesson not acquiring or signing players with big term and money lol, only reason he didn’t do anything stupid is because he didn’t have the cap space. He would’ve signed Barrie, Hoffman & Simmonds to a combined 12M hit on long term contracts.

(Benning gets saved somehow from his own stupidity again and Scmidth lands in Vancouver for a 3rd lol)

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Wait, why is this a good for Van to not have gone through? Am I wrong that OEL is no longer elite?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Wait, why is this a good for Van to not have gone through? Am I wrong that OEL is no longer elite?

Canucks got a comparable defenceman for a 3rd rounder. That comparable defenceman also has a much lower cap hit, OEL’s ridiculous contract would’ve wrecked the Canucks long term.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Interesting reading this thread and seeing Vancouver fans happy it didn't happen and on the flip side Yote fans happy it didn't happen.

I think this trade would've sucked for Arizona.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
It’s fair bc he’s only worth that money maybe the next 4 yrs. After that He’s a total boat anchor contract for 4 yrs...

So yeah, Arizona should’ve tweaked it a bit, maybe ask another 2nd or something. And I bet it coulda been done.
I think it’s lucky for the Nucks they didn’t do this.l

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Guys. I'm taking OEL everyday of the year over Schmidt however Schmidt for a 3rd is a huge steal and Vancouver fans (like myself) should be super happy about it.

But let's not be delusional

Reactions: Jackpot Jaret

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol.. this was a brutal offer by Vancouver. How did they think Arizona would fall for this? This isn't NHL 20 where more picks/players = high trade value

This was a bad offer? Lmao

They ended up getting an arguably better player on a way better contract for a fraction of this offer. This offer would have been an enormous mistake for Van to follow through on.

OEL's contract is neutral or negative value given how limited cap space is around the league right now and how long it runs. Giving up a 1st + 2nd + young player + short term cap dump for that is a massive overpayment.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

He's not as good as he once was, but the Canucks got a comparable defender in Schmidt for a 3rd who's on a considerably better contract.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
So basically the worst playoff performers on the Canucks and a first for OEL lol....I wouldn't want Virtanen on my roster for free. A more far trade would have been Boeser for OEL straight up, still slightly leans in the Canucks favor.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
He's not as good as he once was, but the Canucks got a comparable defender in Schmidt for a 3rd who's on a considerably better contract.
If the Coyotes agreed to that horrible offer you jump on it, and get Schmidt.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
If the Coyotes agreed to that horrible offer you jump on it, and get Schmidt.

...and be a cool $10m over the salary cap? Vegas just did that and they were required to trade Schmidt for a third.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad