Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
...and be a cool $10m over the salary cap? Vegas just did that and they were required to trade Schmidt for a third.
They'd have to give away Sutter and Virtanen obviously etc, but in theory getting Smhidt and OEL makes them a perennial playoff team

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
They'd have to give away Sutter and Virtanen obviously etc, but in theory getting Smhidt and OEL makes them a perennial playoff team

If Vegas had to get rid of Schmidt, a top pairing D, for a 3rd round pick, to move 8m~ worth of cap space to sign Pietrangelo, what makes you think the Canucks could move Ferland, Eriksson, Roussell or Beagle without including an additional 1st round pick each to move Eriksson and Ferland? OEL isn't worth 3 1sts, a 2nd, and Virtanen.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I wouldn't have minded OEL on this team. I feel he would rebound, not as a slight against Arizona, but with Edler, Hughes, Myers and, presumably, Schmidt insulating him. I'm glad we didn't get him at the price stated, mostly due to contract concerns.

For those of you stating the Canucks should have hoped Arizona took this, then we trade for Schmidt too, even with Ferland on LTIR, Baertschi and Eriksson in the minors and making the assumption that players like Hoglander and/or Rathbone are ready to take the plunge, we have 20 players on the roster and just over 2 million in cap space, not counting our 1.7 million for last years bonuses. It simply doesn't work without drastic cap dumps, which....will add to the 3 picks we've already surrendered in this scenario, and two we spent out last year for Miller and Toffoli.

Our forwards look like this, at best, too:
Lotto line
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander(his off side)?/Lind/Lockwood
Roussel-Gaudette-Motte
Hawryluk-Beagle-MacEwen
Eriksson, Baertschi as call ups if LTIR is used.

That's atrocious. That's worse then our D was the last few years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
that is a huge offer and terrible for the Canucks. Arizona should have taken it and thanked the Canucks.
Sutter is essentially a negative 2nd. So you think Jake Virtanen and next year’s first is irresistible for Arizona’s #1D, best player, and captain in his prime? It’s an easy offer for Arizona to pass up.

But Vancouver did well by getting their guy for a 3rd. Both sides are better off.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Interesting reading this thread and seeing Vancouver fans happy it didn't happen and on the flip side Yote fans happy it didn't happen.

I think this trade would've sucked for Arizona.

I think the fundamental point should be here that this wasn't two fan bases arguing about trade value between players. Regardless of what Arizona fans think it's the Coyotes who decided they wanted to try and trade OEL, and he utilized his NTC to say only Vancouver and Boston. Under those circumstances, and Vancouver fans have recent enough experience with this through Ryan Kesler and Roberto Luongo, what Benning offered was fairly standard with a lean towards the generous side. With the teams current cap crunch this season and next, it was blame dumb to not ensure Eriksson was the dump. Under all the additional circumstances this off season, Benning's offer was insanity.

Don't forget Boston made an offer too, better assets to trade plus with Krug on his way out actually having the cap space to add him, and they offered less than Vancouver. Considering there never really even seemed to be much discussion probably a lot less.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Sutter is essentially a negative 2nd. So you think Jake Virtanen and next year’s first is irresistible for Arizona’s #1D, best player, and captain in his prime? It’s an easy offer for Arizona to pass up.

But Vancouver did well by getting their guy for a 3rd. Both sides are better off.

Sutter is not a negative 2nd. He’s a 1-year dump, who is still a very serviceable bottom 6 centre.

He’s a negative 3rd.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
If Vancouver was smart they would have given that bevy of assets up to get Quinn Hughes right hand partner
A neutral zone, stay at home ace with some size.

Not a guy to play behind him on the left side.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
If Vancouver was smart they would have given that bevy of assets up to get Quinn Hughes right hand partner

Schmidt played RHD for Vegas all year...against top lines.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Lol.. this was a brutal offer by Vancouver. How did they think Arizona would fall for this? This isn't NHL 20 where more picks/players = high trade value

because they had the negotiating leverage in this particular transaction being down to the only team oel is willing to move too because Boston backed out with even a smaller offer then what Vancouver has to offer.

now Arizona will not even get as much as what we offered.

Nov 1, 2011
This only makes sense for Canucks if they could end up with two of Schmidt, OEL, and Pietrangelo.

Otherwise, would rather keep the picks.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

they tried but failed. Part of that and no cap room, but they did try with attempts at vatanen, hamonic, and schenn.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Considering his contract and the state of the team? Yes, I do, and many here including a large proportion of neutral fans agree.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Makes sense why Arizona declined. If they swapped the one of the picks for Podkolzin or Hoglander, I’d have done it as a Coyotes fan. Sounds like Bill Armstrong was on that same page.

Would have bee terrible for Arizona.

Vancouver got a steal with Schmidt, good on them for that but that doesn’t make this a good deal for Arizona to deal their #1 defenseman for. Alex Pietrangelo is not walking through the doors in Arizona. That package ain’t that hot to start with and you have to take on Sutters salary to make it work?

The Nucks seemed like a poor match for an OEL deal from the start. Credit them for being patient and ending up with Schmidt.

What a horrible offer.

Joke offer.

These posts aged wellll.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad