Rumor: Canucks offered 1st, 2nd, Sutter, Virtanen for OEL

member 328930

Schmidt is a steroid cheat that Vegas didn't want to pay anymore. Let's call a spade a spade.

I hope you have a source for Schmidt having taken steroids. If not that’s a pretty libellous statement. Last I heard he was found with a PED, which could be a host of different things, which he and his team are adamant was completely unintentional.

Can you supply a source that he was caught with Steroids?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I hope you have a source for Schmidt having taken steroids. If not that’s a pretty libellous statement. Last I heard he was found with a PED, which could be a host of different things, which he and his team are adamant was completely unintentional.

I’m pretty sure the majority of PED suspensions in hockey, disputed or otherwise, have been from stimulants. There’s no evidence or reason to assume that Schmidt took steroids.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Benning needs to go tbh. He’s done enough damage. Lost Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, stetcher thsi free agency all to deals which Vancouver should of matched and destroyer the cap over the years. This trade would of been awful too

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
beagle, ferland, baertschi, eriksson all have negative value.
Sutter is still somewhat useful and only one year left.
Right now, he could be moved at 50% retained no problem... Benning is keeping him for now.. moving Sutter will be the last resort... which may need to happen... lets be honest.. no one is taking eriksson lol

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004

If the amount he gave was the truth, it would appear to be unintentional. But since the CBA doesn't allow anyone involved to say anything, it leaves it open for speculation sadly

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I really doubt we would have offered up a 1st and a 2nd in this deal. Take out the 1st and I still wouldnt do this deal

member 328930

I really doubt we would have offered up a 1st and a 2nd in this deal. Take out the 1st and I still wouldnt do this deal

I hope not...but it's Benning. He has no concept of the fact that players can get worse - that just because they were good at one point in their career it does not mean that level of play will continue.

Reactions: lawrence

lawrence

May 19, 2012

to be fair Canuck armchairs on reddit and canucks.com was thinking somewhere between a 1st round puck, Sutter, Juolevi OR Rathbone, and a Kole Lind. Which is literally picks and prospects, in this case pick and prospects, which was what Arizona was looking for.

Jim Benning offered even less then what Canuck fans would have, since the difference was a Virtanen and a 2nd, Canuck fans ready to give up, Juolevi or Rathbone and a Kole Lind.

People in this thread also trying to ignore the fact this was probably a better off then Boston's. Totally forgotten about it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
beagle, ferland, baertschi, eriksson all have negative value.

I think Jim is "banking" on a contract year Baertschi to step up his game as a legit top 6 player.

We'll see what kind of Sven we see. He will report to camp, and we will go from there. I imagine he will try harder since he's a ufa next year.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
I think Jim is "banking" on a contract year Baertschi to step up his game as a legit top 6 player.

We'll see what kind of Sven we see. He will report to camp, and we will go from there. I imagine he will try harder since he's a ufa next year.

You really think Sven has a chance with the big club? I think he's pretty close to being done with this organization. The only reason he's still here is because they haven't been able to move him. I doubt he did himself any favors by opting out as well.

Mayyybe he's a candidate for the second line due to our lack of other options but I'm gonna have to see it to believe it.

Reactions: THE Green Man

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
This is pretty consistent with what I was thinking (Hogs, Sutter, Virtanen, and maybe Juolevi). The fact that both fanbases are balking at the rumoured offer in this thread probably shows that the value is about right.

Of course when we can turn around and get a comparable in terms of quality defender who isn't already on the decline for a shorter and cheaper term for only a third, then I think we can see why Van fans are super happy the trade didn't happen.

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Not all PED's are steroids, Backstrom was banned from the Olympics for taking Zyrtec D.
On top of that he was banned only due to the team doctor failed to file the paper work (as they normally always do for asthma etc). Which was known before the tournament by the ones that conveniently brought it up a as a huge scandal couple of hours before the finals to maximize publicity.

Had they informed the doctor/team/player when it was discovered, the team doctor would have had ample time to file the paperwork without Bäckström missing a single game in the tournament. Total shit show.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Jesus, thank f*** for the Canucks that deal was declined.

Sub in Eriksson instead of Sutter and it becomes a bit more palatable, but that OEL contract is a killer.

Can’t believe JB put a 1st on the table.
Canucks would be stupid to make that trade, and season ticket holders should rethink their purchase after a couple of years ..................The positive to that deal it would take any chance of the Bruins getting OEL.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
So glad Arizona declined and we got Schmidt for just a 3rd and he will provide 90% of OEL for a fraction of the cost.

It was a long shot regardless imo, Canucks should have focused on other things for the week plus leading up to FA

Reactions: Luckylarry

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Benning needs to go tbh. He’s done enough damage. Lost Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli, stetcher thsi free agency all to deals which Vancouver should of matched and destroyer the cap over the years. This trade would of been awful too

Keep your worries with the Laffs...JB is a subpar GM and should have a change of positions and bring in a different GM

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
So glad Arizona declined and we got Schmidt for just a 3rd and he will provide 90% of OEL for a fraction of the cost.

It was a long shot regardless imo, Canucks should have focused on other things for the week plus leading up to FA
If Benning did make this offer, what the heck is wrong with the Coyotes for not jumping on it? And, as a Canuck’s fan, thank the hockey Gods they chose to refuse. And what the heck was Benning thinking?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You can test positive for steroids because of eating a tainted steak. There are many factors at play.

Ahhhh yes, the old tainted meat excuse.

If you somehow managed to accidentally eat tainted meat, the levels of PEDs in your system would be very small. This excuse might work for people who didn't come off their cycle quite early enough. However, for people who flat out get busted with significant levels of PEDs in their system, it's not possible to get those from meat.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Lol.. this was a brutal offer by Vancouver. How did they think Arizona would fall for this? This isn't NHL 20 where more picks/players = high trade value

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad