Canucks Off-season Thread - Canucks re-sign Teves, Rafferty, Boucher

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I like the Teves and Rafferty deals. Finally gives the Comets some decent depth. Fantanberg, Teves, Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi, Chatfield. They should be better than the throw togethers they had last year. And with Dipetro coming up, it would be nice if they could provide some defensive support for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like the Teves and Rafferty deals. Finally gives the Comets some decent depth. Fantanberg, Teves, Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Juolevi, Chatfield. They should be better than the throw togethers they had last year. And with Dipetro coming up, it would be nice if they could provide some defensive support for him.

Fantenberg will probably be in the NHL as the team likes to carry 8 defenders.

Basically they've replaced McEneny and Sifers with the two mediocre college UFAs, which is not an upgrade.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Fantenberg will probably be in the NHL as the team likes to carry 8 defenders.

Basically they've replaced McEneny and Sifers with the two mediocre college UFAs, which is not an upgrade.
Also Sautner needs to go through waivers so there's an outside chance they'll lose him too. Probably not though. Still something to consider.

There's a chance the Comets won't have one defenseman over 25 years old next season. Could be a disaster.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Also Sautner needs to go through waivers so there's an outside chance they'll lose him too. Probably not though. Still something to consider.

There's a chance the Comets won't have one defenseman over 25 years old next season. Could be a disaster.

It's more than a chance - it's almost a certainty.

The greybeard on their blueline will be Dylan Blujus, a guy on an AHL deal who just turned 25 and has a ton of injury issues.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
And like I said, and like you would have seen if you bothered to read the posts you reply to,

i don't agree with the idea this was done for utica and i already said so directly. sorry that you disagree with my opinion, but my answer was responsive. i tdon't think they shelled out that kind of dough to help utica. they shelled out the dough for a couple of longshot lottery tickets that do not count against the cap. they actually sacrificed utica in the deal since those guys will own roster spots that might otherwise go to ahl vets, and can be expected to underperform at least initially, with a high chance of making utica worse compared to ahl vets for the entire signing. i am sure they knew that when they signed these guys. canucks management are under intense pressure to make the team better and this is an example of a longshot way to try and do it. think of it as this year's version of signing larsen.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Somethings got to give now that we've added Ferland.

It's just so frustrating that they weren't proactively shipping out players not in the plans at the deadline(s), or at the draft to shed salary and gain assets. There's no space on rosters for young up and coming players. There's very little opportunity for guys like Gaudette and MacEwan, and even less for Goldobin.

And we still haven't even signed our star winger....

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
this violates our house rules for no new acquisitions unless something leaves first.

i just hope that if we have a fancy move planned after eriksson's bonus gets paid that it's been vetted by the league.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Now that we're officially a cap strapped team that everyone knows needs to move out salary to sign our star player: why would any team do us a favour and give us anything close to resembling value for our players right now?

We unfortunately don't get to call up Benning like Julien Briesbois and have him do Tampa a solid by paying a premium to get them out of a jam.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Somethings got to give now that we've added Ferland.

It's just so frustrating that they weren't proactively shipping out players not in the plans at the deadline(s), or at the draft to shed salary and gain assets. There's no space on rosters for young up and coming players. There's very little opportunity for guys like Gaudette and MacEwan, and even less for Goldobin.

And we still haven't even signed our star winger....

As usual, the roster is clogged with other teams' old overpaid grinders and there is no room for any young player we've developed aside from the latest top-10 pick.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
As usual, the roster is clogged with other teams' old overpaid grinders and there is no room for any young player we've developed aside from the latest top-10 pick.

Everything reeks of a patently impatient GM who continually tries to take shortcuts to get the team to the playoffs (despite being clearly incompetent the entire time) and all it does is delay our ability to develop a good young team that will content for multiple years.

Watching our young players go rotten on the vine is so infuriating. The whole Gaudette situation last year was pathetic.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
vC3ijFN.png

Tiny sample size since Gaudette was up and down with Utica and Beagle was hurt, but minutes tracked and games tracked is fair.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Everything reeks of a patently impatient GM who continually tries to take shortcuts to get the team to the playoffs (despite being clearly incompetent the entire time) and all it does is delay our ability to develop a good young team that will content for multiple years.

Watching our young players go rotten on the vine is so infuriating. The whole Gaudette situation last year was pathetic.

The Gaudette situation this year is setting up to be even more infuriating.

Reactions: timw33

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The Gaudette situation this year is setting up to be even more infuriating.
Didn't he promise he would 'move vets to make room for young players' when they're ready?

Let's see if that was a boldfaced lie or Gaudette is going to rot playing AHL hockey when he needs to be developing an NHL game.

Reactions: geebaan and timw33

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
That point total actually seems pretty bang on to me.
The Canucks imo are slated to be a bubble team for the forseeable future. Too much cap locked up in role players and not enough top 6 fwd support. Exactly what I didn't want to happen.

They'll miss the playoffs this season. Pettersson/Boeser/Horvat/Hughes will improve and keep the team around the bubble while some veterans get worse. They're going to be like a Minnesota or Dallas imo. It's not a great position to be in.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
i'm getting a kick out of that thread

My good buddies Blob and RoyalDude are on to MS' comments about Doc. :-p.

Can't the mods let them back on here for a showdown? The Michael Ferland thread would be a good place for debate (Strange, Blob, and RD probably love the Ferland signing, while most anti-Benning guys on here will not like it).

@PG Canuck - anyway you can unban those guys. :D.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
uzzj60bbui931.png

"Playoff team"

i would be skeptical of baertschi in the lineup and the ability of the computer to project gaudette or hughes.

so switch out sutter for gaudette and eriksson for baertschi. replace hughes with biega. what do we get?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad