Canucks Off-season Thread - Canucks re-sign Teves, Rafferty, Boucher

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Regarding Bad Goalie's statement, which I'm no loner able to quote:

"And why the **** would they want to do that? Move an AHL All Star to make Loui the troll happy? Most ludicrous move I have read suggested on this site in the 6 years I have been here."

I know you hate being reminded of this, but the Comets exist to fulfill the purposes of their parent team, the Canucks. If the Canucks need a place for Loui Eriksson and displacing Perron or another forward gives them one, they probably do it. Perron doesn't have a contract and likely will only sign for a year, and Eriksson will probably outperform him for the coming year anyway since he's able to be a competent bottom-6 NHLer. Next season, exchange another 6th rounder for an AHL all star and a 7th if necessary. This isn't their first choice or they wouldn't have acquired so many AHL forwards in the first place, but it's a reasonable plan if it needs to be carried out.​

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
It's pretty baffling that even with all his mistakes, Jim Benning hasn't improved at all over the years. An executive that doesn't learn from his mistakes is a terrible asset to have in any company. He will keep making the same mistakes, even if past ones were near franchise-crippling.

Absolute clown.

Reactions: RIP Botchford

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

"And why the **** would they want to do that? Move an AHL All Star to make Loui the troll happy? Most ludicrous move I have read suggested on this site in the 6 years I have been here."

I know you hate being reminded of this, but the Comets exist to fulfill the purposes of their parent team, the Canucks. If the Canucks need a place for Loui Eriksson and displacing Perron or another forward gives them one, they probably do it. Perron doesn't have a contract and likely will only sign for a year, and Eriksson will probably outperform him for the coming year anyway since he's able to be a competent bottom-6 NHLer. Next season, exchange another 6th rounder for an AHL all star and a 7th if necessary. This isn't their first choice or they wouldn't have acquired so many AHL forwards in the first place, but it's a reasonable plan if it needs to be carried out.​

The notion that Utica has so many quality forwards that an AHL All-Star would lose his job if Eriksson was sent down is frankly comical.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore

I agree with the sending to Utica of Brother Loui but why would you even need to clear out a roster spot for him anyway? It's quite common for AHL teams to carry an extra vet ot two, the Comets have done so themselves in the recent past. Eriksson doesn't need to actually play, he just needs to be off of the Canucks roster and in Utica. What happens to him down there, happens. If he doesn't like the treatment he knows where he can go.

Back to Sweden ;)

Reactions: sting101

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I agree with the sending to Utica of Brother Loui but why would you even need to clear out a roster spot for him anyway? It's quite common for AHL teams to carry an extra vet ot two, the Comets have done so themselves in the recent past. Eriksson doesn't need to actually play, he just needs to be off of the Canucks roster and in Utica. What happens to him down there, happens. If he doesn't like the treatment he knows where he can go.

Back to Sweden ;)
They could have... and should have sent Gagner to Utica last year, but were concerned about everyone getting playing time and then came the injuries which more than opened up ice time iirc?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Not worried at all about Boeser's contract. If this regime has a strength, these types of contracts are it.

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland

Back to Sweden ;)
the original conversation said (paraphrasing) if Eriksson was sent to Utica, he would take one of Lind's or Jonah's spots. All @bandwagonesque said was he would rather move a Perron if they had to accommodate Loui instead of sacrificing a prospect's ice time. He never actually said Utica should clear out a roster spot for Eriksson.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Bailey is sort of a poor man's Jake Virtanen.

Big guy, rangy strong skater, hard shot ... absolutely no tool box and has never developed the sort of defensive/physical game to allow him to stick in a bottom-6 role. Will be a solid 2nd line type for Utica.

Buffalo fans were tantalized by his tools for years but he could just never do anything with them.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
the original conversation said (paraphrasing) if Eriksson was sent to Utica, he would take one of Lind's or Jonah's spots. All @bandwagonesque said was he would rather move a Perron if they had to accommodate Loui instead of sacrificing a prospect's ice time. He never actually said Utica should clear out a roster spot for Eriksson.
With guys like Bancks Arceneau and the likes, dumping an AHL only veteran contract would make more sense than losing one from the NHL contract slots

Nazzlind

Sep 9, 2010
Lower Mainland
With guys like Bancks Arceneau and the likes, dumping an AHL only veteran contract would make more sense than losing one from the NHL contract slots
You guys should just read the full convo in the previous thread lol

this is the post @bandwagonesque is responding to:

"I fear Vancouver fan base and media won't like the results of that move even though they advocate it without thinking of the consequences. One of Lind or Gadjovich is going to absorb the cost of demoting Loui.

#1 Boucher/C/MacEwen
#2 Perron/C/Jasek
#3 Loui-Gadjovich/C/Loui-Lind
#4 Bancks/c/Arsenau

Even if you move Loui anywhere up the ladder that person instantly results in someone from the top 6 displacing one of L&G.

Motte, Goldobin, Schaller are still on the bubble. Goldobin, Leivo and Boeser are not yet signed. If and when they all do, the Canucks roster will number 26. It would have to be reduced by 3. When Rousell returns another has to go.

None of them sits for Lind or Gadjovich. I agree on Bancks and Arseneau sitting, but GM Johnson loves Bancks and Hamilton and expects them to be in the lineup. This, and Benning isn't finished for the summer. The more Benning tinkers with his lineup, the greater the chance of more Canucks coming to Utica and Lind and Gadjovich pushed to the back burner. I mean it's not like they have "earned the right to a spot", but many think they automatically get one no matter what. Coaches don't work like that."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Who cares if Gadjovich has to sit? He sat plenty last season. He isn't some top prospect.

This.

But also planning Utica rosters and lines in July is just a completely pointless endeavor. There are, on average, 4-6 forwards injured between Utica and Vancouver at any given time, and there 12-man grids assuming everyone on both teams is completely healthy are completely unrealistic.

Unfortunately, this is how ol' White Board Benning seems to do it, and then ends up confused and chasing his tail every year when guys predictably get hurt.

If it looks like a guy is on the 4th line down there with everyone healthy, that probably means he'll be playing on the 2nd half the time.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
looking at the contracts we already have, i think utica is going to be stacked this year with bodies with or without eriksson. they are going to be platooning everybody.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
looking at the contracts we already have, i think utica is going to be stacked this year with bodies with or without eriksson. they are going to be platooning everybody.

They will absolutely not be. At this point, more (and better) bodies have left than have come in to replace them and when injuries hit there will be ATOs everywhere as usual.

Reactions: TruGr1t

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
They will absolutely not be. At this point, more (and better) bodies have left than have come in to replace them and when injuries hit there will be ATOs everywhere as usual.

we have 24 forwards and 15 dmen on the canucks contract list who will either be on the canucks or comets and it is july. all of those are guys you would hope to be on the top 6/4 in utica.

add in further signings, utica depth signings and allow for injuries and i think utica will be fine.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
we have 24 forwards and 15 dmen on the canucks contract list who will either be on the canucks or comets and it is july. all of those are guys you would hope to be on the top 6/4 in utica.

add in further signings, utica depth signings and allow for injuries and i think utica will be fine.

Last year at this time, the team had :

Boeser
Horvat
Pettersson
Eriksson
Roussel
Beagle
Schaller
Sutter
Goldobin
Virtanen
Granlund
Motte
Baertschi
Gaudette
Gaunce
Archibald
Leipsic
Gagner
MacEwen
Boucher
Kero
Dahlen
Lind
Gadjovich
Jasek

... under contract or to be under contract. Same parameters you gave for this year. That's 25 forwards, so actually more than your list. How did that turn out?

You're tricking yourself same as Benning does and vastly underestimating the amount of injuries and roster flux we'll see.

Reactions: Canadian Club

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad