Canucks Off-season Thread - Canucks re-sign Teves, Rafferty, Boucher

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
And even though Dahlen bombed it was by far the single best transaction Benning has ever made in terms of getting value in a deal that made sense for where the team was at.

It was literally the only rebuild-type trade Benning has ever done.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Wait, no love for the draft pick acquired for Del Zotto? Goldobin for Burrows?
The pick acquired for MDZ was less than the pick the Ducks got for MDZ....but I guess they got 18 games of Luke Schenn.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wait, no love for the draft pick acquired for Del Zotto? Goldobin for Burrows?

(...tries hard to get the discussion moving on from arithmetic ...)

Goldobin was for Hansen, and that deal was expansion draft motivated (Benning said so himself). If it weren't for the expansion draft Hansen would have remained a Canuck.

A 7 for MDZ isn't a rebuild transaction :laugh:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Goldobin was for Hansen and Benning said he only made that move because of the expansion draft. It was an expansion draft move, not a rebuilding move.

But he did trade Hansen for a prospect; would there not have been other moves he could have made that would have brought back a player that didn't have to be protected? If not, then I withdraw the claim.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Goldobin was for Hansen, and that deal was expansion draft motivated (Benning said so himself). If it weren't for the expansion draft Hansen would have remained a Canuck.

A 7 for MDZ isn't a rebuild transaction :laugh:

On MDZ, I disagree: signing a free agent, however marginal, then dumping that player for a pick, however low, is a very minor rebuilding move.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
On MDZ, I disagree: signing a free agent, however marginal, then dumping that player for a pick, however low, is a very minor rebuilding move.
But they had to move their own 7th for a back-up goalie, so they're no further ahead. All it did was recoup a crappy pick (that Anaheim actually got more from the same player) to replace the one they moved because they can't manage an NHL roster properly and needed to put a Junior goalie against the 2nd best offense in the NHL.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
But they had to move their own 7th for a back-up goalie, so they're no further ahead. All it did was recoup a crappy pick (that Anaheim actually got more from the same player) to replace the one they moved because they can't manage an NHL roster properly and needed to put a Junior goalie against the 2nd best offense in the NHL.

The other moves aren't really relevant to my point. They did lots of stupid non-rebuilding things after the Del Zotto trade.

Reactions: bandwagonesque

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Trading off old assets at the deadline - particularly expiring contracts like Burrows - are not rebuilding moves. Those are standard, bare-minimum moves that every bad team at the trade deadline should either be doing or trying to do if they are out of the playoff picture. The fact that this team has missed the playoffs for 4 years and we can name these kind of deals on one hand and the eventual returns have offered almost nothing of value is brutal.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

They actually moved Del Zotto before trading a pick for a goaltender.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

If that's how you see things then trading away a 7th round pick for a goalie for the remainder of the year was a "go for it" move.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
So the Hansen trade eventually netted Linus Karlsson and... what? What happened with San Jose's 4th round pick on 2017? Google is giving me no joy.

I guess the point is that even when Benning does something right, it's probably of no consequence anyways.

Edit: Ugh. Now I'm getting deals mixed up. Hansen netted us Goldobin, Gunnarsson, and Palmu. Burrows netted Karlsson. Still looking very underwhelming when it comes to rebuilding moves.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
So the Hansen trade eventually netted Linus Karlsson and... what? What happened with San Jose's 4th round pick on 2017? Google is giving me no joy.

I guess the point is that even when Benning does something right, it's probably of no consequence anyways.

They traded it to Chicago for two lower picks that they used on Gunnarsson and Palmu.

Chicago took Tim Soderlund.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Edit: Ugh. Now I'm getting deals mixed up. Hansen netted us Goldobin, Gunnarsson, and Palmu. Burrows netted Karlsson. Still looking very underwhelming when it comes to rebuilding moves.

They traded it to Chicago for two lower picks that they used on Gunnarsson and Palmu.

Chicago took Tim Soderlund.

Had San Jose won the Cup the Canucks could have drafted Kole Lind in the first round. :popcorn:

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Trading off old assets at the deadline - particularly expiring contracts like Burrows - are not rebuilding moves. Those are standard, bare-minimum moves that every team at the trade deadline should either be doing or trying to do. The fact that this team has missed the playoffs for 4 years and we can name these kind of deals on one hand and the eventual returns have offered almost nothing of value is brutal.

If moving Burrows for Dahlen is a move any team ought to have made, it's a bit odd Ottawa moved Dahlen for Burrows, wouldn't you say?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If moving Burrows for Dahlen is a move any team ought to have made, it's a bit odd Ottawa moved Dahlen for Burrows, wouldn't you say?

The Senators are the worst organization in the entire league and I don't really think anyone should trust their decision-making process.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
If that's how you see things then trading away a 7th round pick for a goalie for the remainder of the year was a "go for it" move.
No, it was a move made because the team didn't have enough healthy goaltenders and had nothing to do with the team's ambitions that season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But he did trade Hansen for a prospect; would there not have been other moves he could have made that would have brought back a player that didn't have to be protected? If not, then I withdraw the claim.

If you're trading an expansion-eligible player because you're going to lose him, pretty much your only options are to get a pick or a young player back. Trading Hansen for another player that required protection would obviously make zero sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00