Canucks Off-season Thread - Canucks re-sign Teves, Rafferty, Boucher

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Disagree completely. They love their #1 picks and rush them in ASAP but everyone else gets buried behind crappy veterans.

In Gaudette's case, we trundled him around for 10 garbage minutes/game pointlessly last year instead of either a) trying him on wing on a scoring line b) giving him some defensive/PK responsibility or c) letting him play 20 minutes/game in Utica. Awful development.

I disagree completely. Last year strategy was to sign Beagle, Rousell, Schaller so we can give the young guys a chance to play an offensive role and give them easier minutes but that plan failed.

Goldobin was given an opportunity in the top 6, he failed

Leipsic as well but failed and he was put him on waivers

Baer was given opportunity to play bigger role and higher in the lineup. Failed because of concussion

All this talk last year but Vets are holding back young players is non sense. Dahlen and Gaudette were not even ready the start of last year. Dahlen is not even ready in the ahl, let alone the nhl. The only thing Gaudette has proven so far is that he is not a liability. Green gave him shelter mins and he still struggle to keep pace in the nhl, makes quick decision with the puck and he got off knock off puck so easily. You want to give him more mins? If Gaudette can't handle easy mins? How is he able to handle tougher mins? You are right we should send him to the ahl.

Only examples, I can think of is Stecher and Tryamkin and that was 3 years ago. Stecher earned a spot and was sent down, but when he got called up and proves he can play in the nhl. He was given opportunities right away even when they were other healthy D.

Tryamkin as well, Being healthy scratched for 10 straight game to start the season didnt make sense.

Both examples are from Willy days, can't think of any Green examples that he was holding back a young player that was ready.

Last 3 years, if a young player earn a spot, they will make room. Examples Shipped out Nilsson and let Demko be the backup.

Last edited:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I would offer Tanev for Craig Smith. Both have 1 year left and making about the same salary. Value should be about the same. Craig Smith will look good in the top 6. Let Biega be a regular on D. Nash might want a D to replace some of mins by Subban. They can transition Fabbro slowly.

Top 6 of Petey Horvat Boeser Miller Smith Pearson. No way Canucks can struggle to score goals with that top 6

Reactions: VanillaCoke

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I see three of the Canucks amateur scouts were either terminated or left for other opportunities. Not familiar with any of Chris MacDonald; Dan Palango or Paul Gallagher, but what baffles is that the amateur scouts appear to be only part of Canuck Hockey Ops who were actually doing a decent job.

Now the pro scouting staff, that's a different story. If they wanted to dump guys that would be the department to do it in.

But the Canucks are already operating with one of the thinnest hockey ops group in the entire NHL. On a positive note, I guess when the inevitable broom sweeping occurs, there will be fewer people to let go.

Agree. But lot of the praise for Amateur scouting is speculative. (let's see how some turn out before we get carried away). And we really haven't got much yet out of mid to lower end draft. Pro Scouting, mostly by the Dim One, has been horrible.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I am just curious if anyone sees this team as a playoff team as it stands.

Obviously Francisco, Benning and Company do.

I see a lottery pick this season.

In a recent poll on this forum, about 71% said they would not make the playoffs this season, 39% said they would.

Last edited:

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver

Better than last year, whether that's enough for playoffs...

No RealGud, No Pooliot, no Grangod equals a measurable addition by subtraction.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012

Lots of “ifs”

If Miller pans out as a strong addition to either EP’s or Bo’s line.
If EP doesn’t have a sophomore slump and repeats his excellent past season.
If Tanev/Edler/Sven/Sutter/etc. all stay reasonably healthy. Or at least healthier than in seasons past.
If Markstrom has another incredible season.
If Hughes turns into a top pairing defenseman and also turns the PP into the PP we’ve dreamed about for a long time.
If the other young guys, who we hope take a step forward, actually do that.
If it really is addition by subtraction with Gudbranson and others.

If some of these pan out? Maybe. If a lot of them come true? Yes. I think they can do it.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Lots of “ifs”

If Miller pans out as a strong addition to either EP’s or Bo’s line.
If EP doesn’t have a sophomore slump and repeats his excellent past season.
If Tanev/Edler/Sven/Sutter/etc. all stay reasonably healthy. Or at least healthier than in seasons past.
If Markstrom has another incredible season.
If Hughes turns into a top pairing defenseman and also turns the PP into the PP we’ve dreamed about for a long time.
If the other young guys, who we hope take a step forward, actually do that.
If it really is addition by subtraction with Gudbranson and others.

If some of these pan out? Maybe. If a lot of them come true? Yes. I think they can do it.

That's what a lot people said when it was discussed a week ago, a lot of things have to go right in order for the Nucks to make the playoffs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I would offer Tanev for Craig Smith. Both have 1 year left and making about the same salary. Value should be about the same. Craig Smith will look good in the top 6. Let Biega be a regular on D. Nash might want a D to replace some of mins by Subban. They can transition Fabbro slowly.

Top 6 of Petey Horvat Boeser Miller Smith Pearson. No way Canucks can struggle to score goals with that top 6

There's no way they'll prevent any goals either. Trade Tanev and you're sending Myers into a tough-minutes pair. Which is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Son of Petter

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In a recent poll on this forum, about 71% said they would not make the playoffs this season, 39% said they would.

I voted "no" they wouldn't make it (I hope), but I see their realistic playoff chances as around 40/60.

It's definitely not impossible.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018

I'm thinking a bubble team and likely a lottery pick.
Next year Benning will clear cap and add more ufas and buy at the deadline.
Desperate times ahead while we sweat it out finding exactly what we owe.

Reactions: dwarf

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Question

Do you think we see any more moves of significance this season? Besides the signing of Brock’s that is.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I like this idea but I don’t think Tanev lands you Craig Smith.

At this stage of Tanev’s career, combined with his injury history, Tanev has far more value to us in comparison to his current trade value.

The time to move Tanev was 2-3 years ago, but our right side wouldn’t have been able to afford the loss of Tanev at that time (#ButGillis).

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think we will.

Benning seems to really want another top 6 forward.
Maybe moving Tanev/Stecher. Benning signed 2 top 6 defencemen. I don't see both Fantenberg and Biega sitting in the pressbox especially since we have a logjam at forward.

Tanev or Stecher are the only trade chips available if Benning wants to add a top 6 forward, unless he plans on moving another 1st/prospects which I hope he doesn't.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Maybe moving Tanev/Stecher. Benning signed 2 top 6 defencemen. I don't see both Fantenberg and Biega sitting in the pressbox especially since we have a logjam at forward.

Tanev or Stecher are the only trade chips available if Benning wants to add a top 6 forward, unless he plans on moving another 1st/prospects which I hope he doesn't.

To be honest, I don’t like the idea of moving Tanev unless we are bringing in another top 4 dman (Gardiner). The Canucks spent all this time and effort into finally having a semi-respectable defensive corps. Trading Tanev would pretty much ruin that. Tanev has more value to the Canucks then his overall current trade value. He’s the exact type of guy that you’d want mentoring Hughes for his first year as a pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00