Rumor: Canucks interested in Vatanen, Hamonic, and Gustafsson

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
If we get him on a comparable contract, sure he would be.

Or he'd be a slight improvement on Tanev, and we'd still have Myers as our top RHD though.

Vatanen would be fine if he and Holtby weren't the only adds to our geam., Given what we've lost.
Im pretty certain we are going to be very active looking for trades for a top 4 d, even if we get Vatanen.i have no doubt our d will be improved from last year.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Is Vatanen a legit top 4 D or more of a number 5 that can move up in the top 4 at times?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Is it still a rebuild after they won two rounds in the postseason?

They only won one real playoff series. The first series was just to qualify for the playoffs...
We look to be taking a fairly large step backwards and could be analogous to the 2017 Oilers.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I hope you're right, but going in with Vatanen, Myers and Rafferty instills me with less faith then with Tanev, Myers and Stecher.
Oh me too for sure, but I don’t think that’s the way it will end up. I fully expect we are adding two RHD still, one UFA and 1 via trade.

Reactions: Cogburn

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Vatanen seems like he's Plan D for Benning. After striking out on OEL and then Barrie, while also having botched negotiations with Stecher.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
that is correct.

Right those 3 bad contracts expire at the end of the 21-22 season. Quinn/petey expire after this upcoming season of 20-21. Then they make their big money starting in the 21-22 season while Eriksson and co. are still on the books.

Sutter, Pearson, Edler, Benn, Sven, etc. their deals expire at the end of 20-21 season, so not on the books for 21-22. Different scenario had they given less term to Eriksson, Beagle and Rousell. But, it's not and that $12 mill will be on the books for another season.

I don't see what the issue is about Sutter/Pearson and co. That group comes off after this upcoming season of 20-21 and and Petey/Hughes also come off ELC.

The Canucks are tight on the cap after the 20-21 season. Once Petey and Hughes come off elc, the canucks have to shift the cap hits of the guys coming off the books like Sutter and co. over to them while replacing their roster spots with cheap options.

There is no salary cap space to add help.
All due respect but I just didnt understand why you mentioned the expiring two year deals when they have nothing to do with EP n qh .
The current one year expiring deals will cover EP n qh raises as long as we dont trade them and any extra cap we have now doesn't really concern them.
We can sign a contract longer then a year as long as Sutter Baer Pearson and spooner or similar one year expiring deals are on the books at year end.
Perhaps I just didnt understand

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Clearly we need a new one now.

Just lost two of our best players. Will be great to see how Pettersson and Hughes are fitting under the cap 12 months from now. Might as well bite the bullet and start the rebuild now.
Hahahahaha

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
All due respect but I just didnt understand why you mentioned the expiring two year deals when they have nothing to do with EP n qh .
The current one year expiring deals will cover EP n qh raises as long as we dont trade them and any extra cap we have now doesn't really concern them.
We can sign a contract longer then a year as long as Sutter Baer Pearson and spooner or similar one year expiring deals are on the books at year end.
Perhaps I just didnt understand
You have to fit Quinn and Petey new deals with what else is on the roster for 21-22 season. Barring a move which we shouldn’t be looking at a year in advance they are going to be very tight to the cap with their current roster.

Unless they can move out a Beagle and co. And I don’t like wishing bad health on anyone so not going to hope to put Ferland on Ltir.

if you sign someone for term now how does the 21-22 roster as it stands look?

better to not be tied up until after you sign the cornerstones.

Reactions: Teflon Jim

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
At which point he became a UFA and the Canucks could have offered him a contract. But instead, this happened:

If you don't think that counts as "botching negotiations", then we're done here.

Both sides did what was best for them. Stecher shouldn’t wait. If his camp feels Detroit is the best offer then he should take it. And the Canucks if they are aiming in their minds to upgrade then they have to wait for Barrie to decide and that means that their backup plan may sign elsewhere.

Reactions: lousy

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
with all the complaining.,a trade and signing could leave canucks with
hughes-myers
edler-schmidt
juolevi - vatanen
rathbone

thats an obvious upgrade on last year.

but then again its not gonna happen :laugh:

unsure if schmidt can even play rd lol, could always try hughes there

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Im pretty certain we are going to be very active looking for trades for a top 4 d, even if we get Vatanen.i have no doubt our d will be improved from last year.
Absolutely. Benning said the dcore needs improvement. He’s obviously not going to let Tanev and Stecher walk and replace them with trash

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
with all the complaining.,a trade and signing could leave canucks with
hughes-myers
edler-schmidt
juolevi - vatanen
rathbone

thats an obvious upgrade on last year.

but then again its not gonna happen :laugh:

unsure if schmidt can even play rd lol, could always try hughes there
Schmidt exclusively played RD last year, he’s better there.

That dcore would be beautiful going into next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad