Rumor: Canucks interested in Vatanen, Hamonic, and Gustafsson

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm scared by Vatanens deal no mater where he goes.
Canucks can't do multi year deals because they have so many bad contracts on the books for 21-22. Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson and Ferland and Luongo recapture is $18.5 million alone.

Throw in the increase to Hughes and Petterson which would likely come in around $18 mill that puts them at $36.5 mill. Add in Boeser, Myers, Miller and Horvat for antoher $23 million, that puts them at basically $60 million for 10 guys.

If Demko plays well, he'd get a short term deal around $3.5 - $4 mill pushing the combined goalie costs to $8 million give or take. So, at $68 mill for 12 guys.

Leaves $13 mil for 11 roster spots. So, they need a bunch of ELC or low cap hit guys. And Virtanen and Gaudette will likely come in at a combined $4.5 million. So, more like 9 guys for the $8.5 mill.

They can't afford to give Vatanen term. Plus with a shortened season and high escrow, a 1 year deal doesn't give him much in the end with 20% escrow and 10% deferral and 1/3 of the salary lost due to prorated season IMO. $6 mill drops to $4 mill then $3.2 mill after escrow and another $400K for deferral, so down to $2.8 mill in taxable salary.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
I'm scared by Vatanens deal no mater where he goes.

Vast majority of FAs is getting only 1 or 2 year deals this offseason. I fully expect Vatanen to fall into that bracket. COVID is a b**** but what can you do.

If Barrie was really offered 6M AAV multiyear, Vatanen should rightfully expect 4.5, maybe even 5. Two-year deal makes him prime fodder for Seattle.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Vast majority of FAs is getting only 1 or 2 year deals this offseason. I fully expect Vatanen to fall into that bracket. COVID is a b**** but what can you do.

If Barrie was really offered 6M AAV multiyear, Vatanen should rightfully expect 4.5, maybe even 5. Two-year deal makes him prime fodder for Seattle.

What really? I have a hard time seeing him get over what Barrie did myself. Maybe even less.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Tanev and Stecher or Hamonic and Vatanen? Sometimes the grass is not always greener...

Length is the issue with Tanev's deal. Re-signing Stecher for cheap probably would have been better than the bargain bin left in UFA, but like with Hutton, it's probably hard to sign a guy to less money after not qualifying him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
What really? I have a hard time seeing him get over what Barrie did myself. Maybe even less.

Barrie to EDM is a headscratcher really. I don't know if the rumored 6M offer that he left on the table is legit or not. But if it is, then the 3.75M price is an aberration. How many players out there really, truly want to join team X so badly that they will accept such a discount? If Barrie really thinks he can pump up his value & cash in in one year's time, more power to him. But I cannot see Vatanen following suit. His time is now, COVID or not.

Of course, if he's cornered and running out of suitors, then he could sign for league minimum for all I know. But that doesn't seem to be the case right now.

Reactions: Morrison

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Canucks can't do multi year deals because they have so many bad contracts on the books for 21-22. Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson and Ferland and Luongo recapture is $18.5 million alone.

Throw in the increase to Hughes and Petterson which would likely come in around $18 mill that puts them at $36.5 mill. Add in Boeser, Myers, Miller and Horvat for antoher $23 million, that puts them at basically $60 million for 10 guys.

If Demko plays well, he'd get a short term deal around $3.5 - $4 mill pushing the combined goalie costs to $8 million give or take. So, at $68 mill for 12 guys.

Leaves $13 mil for 11 roster spots. So, they need a bunch of ELC or low cap hit guys. And Virtanen and Gaudette will likely come in at a combined $4.5 million. So, more like 9 guys for the $8.5 mill.

They can't afford to give Vatanen term. Plus with a shortened season and high escrow, a 1 year deal doesn't give him much in the end with 20% escrow and 10% deferral and 1/3 of the salary lost due to prorated season IMO. $6 mill drops to $4 mill then $3.2 mill after escrow and another $400K for deferral, so down to $2.8 mill in taxable salary.
Why did you conveniently leave out that Sutter , Pearson, Baer, spooner buyout and Edler expire next year ?
For 18+ next year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Why did you conveniently leave out that Sutter , Pearson, Baer, spooner buyout and Edler expire next year ?
For 18+ next year.
I listed what they have on the books for the 21-22 season.

Those salaries get shifted from those guys to Hughes & Pettersson.

That's why they can do a 1 year deal, but not multi-year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see Vatanen signing the sweetheart deal that Barrie gave to Edmonton. Barrie signed that because Klefbom is injured long term and that opens up a big offensive role on the PP and in general. (and heck, even with Klef back Barrie outclasses anyone on this team offensively)

Vatanen does have some offensive skill. In Vancouver, Vatanen will always be behind Hughes. That's fine, and he'd like to join Vancouver and even give up some value maybe even, but he'd want near market value and also term.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
I listed what they have on the books for the 21-22 season.

Those salaries get shifted from those guys to Hughes & Pettersson.

That's why they can do a 1 year deal, but not multi-year.
QH and EPs elc expire next year not the year after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad