Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Pass on Doerrie. The Pettersson thing turned out to be 100% false as he didn't start shooting pucks until June. Feels way too unprofessional especially the way she talked about Luke Hughes.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Also, with Futa's name being in the mix for GM, could our "Final 5" be Allvin, Burke, Mellanby, Futa and one additional person? (is there a name I'm forgetting?)

I tried to do the same thing and couldn't come up with a known 5th candidate. It is a pretty uninspiring list of names. By default I look at Allvin and go "yeah, he'll do".

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
only other thing i recall is doerrie dished on the brackett/weisbrod vs brackett feud and was solidly team brackett. as i recall she thought the main issue was weisbrod meddling and benning backing his play.

current management would not care about that now so no direct validation, but i think any canucks hire of doerrie would float all boats in terms of her credibility.

what else has she said?

Reactions: drax0s

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I tried to do the same thing and couldn't come up with a known 5th candidate. It is a pretty uninspiring list of names. By default I look at Allvin and go "yeah, he'll do".

futa at the eleventh hour is a wild card. i thought he had told us previously to pound sand.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That would not be a good hire. She is very head strong and comes off as a person who wouldnt work well in a group environment.

Or maybe having another strong voice in the room on the side of analytics would help check boneheaded moves by the FO. Like, just because you have strong opinions does not mean that you can't work well within a group dynamic, and I feel like Gillis' front office actively wanted lots of strong opinions.

Having a bunch of yes-people doesn't help us right now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
She made those comments before Hughes was drafted. Maybe she went on a podcast and made a bunch of stuff up but that seems like a good way to never work in hockey again.

Except it fits into the narrative that she has been taking jabs at the Devils organization since she was fired...err since she parted amicably. At the time, the full expectation was that the Devils would pick Hughes. But like you said, if she went on a podcast and made a bunch of stuff up, why do we want someone like that?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
One thing we’ve really all discussed is that there’s not much of a point having a strong opinion on candidates (outside of MacFarland and Tulsky)

You can never truly tell what someone’s opinions/thoughts are just because they were an assistant to stupidity or even if they were an assistant for a good organization.

MS made a lot of good comparisons on how the most desired candidates generally fall down the ladder pretty quickly.

It’s not as though there is a track record of successful hockey leaders who moved into a leadership role from a poorly run team to do so either though. Basically every well run team in the league is run by (or de facto run by) someone who is the opposite of the Futa’s, Allvin’s, and Mellanby’s of the world. The odds that these are the best candidates rather than the result of a bad process is basically nil in my mind.

Reactions: Peen

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
only other thing i recall is doerrie dished on the brackett/weisbrod vs brackett feud and was solidly team brackett. as i recall she thought the main issue was weisbrod meddling and benning backing his play.

current management would not care about that now so no direct validation, but i think any canucks hire of doerrie would float all boats in terms of her credibility.

what else has she said?
a lot. everything has been wiped. her podcasts, her tweets. what's left now is the paraphrasing that we or other forums discussed from listening to those pods/seeing her tweets lol

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Doerrie's resume is sure excellent, but her history of Canucks related chatter makes this a little surprising.

Also, with Futa's name being in the mix for GM, could our "Final 5" be Allvin, Burke, Mellanby, Futa and one additional person? (is there a name I'm forgetting?)

EDIT: For Doerrie's chatter, I have no issue with her being critical of the previous front office and their decisions. But some of the claims about Petey and Miller are definitely eyebrow raising.
The EP comment is very believable
We knew that he was beyond frustrating toward the management group after they let Toffoli and Tanev walked

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
It’s not as though there is a track record of successful hockey leaders who moved into a leadership role from a poorly run team to do so either though. Basically every well run team in the league is run by (or de facto run by) someone who is the opposite of the Futa’s, Allvin’s, and Mellanby’s of the world. The odds that these are the best candidates rather than the result of a bad process is basically nil in my mind.
I'm with you on that. I guess the one that comes to my mind instantly is that we had Mike Sullivan as interim coach in 2013-2014 and he turned out to be a fantastic head coach who happened to be working under a lunatic.

But that's coaching.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
a lot. everything has been wiped. her podcasts, her tweets. what's left now is the paraphrasing that we or other forums discussed from listening to those pods/seeing her tweets lol

if it is recent they might still be google cached.

is there some kind of wayback for tweets?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I feel like Gillis' front office actively wanted lots of strong opinions.

Did Gilman, Henning, and Crawford strike you as having strong opinions? I'm not saying that they were Yes men. There's a difference between having your own opinion and willing to work collaboratively and not being able to accept other people's opinion that is different.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
futa at the eleventh hour is a wild card. i thought he had told us previously to pound sand.

Are you thinking of Lombardi?

I get the feeling Futa is pretty eager to get another NHL management job and wouldn't be picky where it was.

Reactions: timw33

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Or maybe having another strong voice in the room on the side of analytics would help check boneheaded moves by the FO. Like, just because you have strong opinions does not mean that you can't work well within a group dynamic, and I feel like Gillis' front office actively wanted lots of strong opinions.

Having a bunch of yes-people doesn't help us right now.

I just watched that Behind the B clip the other night when the Bruins we're discussing trading Seguin and that's the feeling I got from that group, they all had the same mantra that Chiarelli was touting.

Reactions: Peen and timw33

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We knew that he was beyond frustrating toward the management group after they let Toffoli and Tanev walked

It's possible; but when I take that in conjunction with the allegations (I say that because I haven't seen / read / heard them myself) that she claimed Miller was an anti-masker, or that Luke Hughes had character issues...it seems like there could be some bridges to mend between some key members of our current team and herself.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
What gives you this impression?

If you listen to her interview she mentions a lot about herself with a sneaky attitude. I forget the exact quote but something about her being too busy being an accountant to do hockey related things. It didnt come off as genuine or as her not throwing shade at someone. best example is very similar to how Drance comes across when doing radio hit. It always reverts back to him and he has no room for discussion outside of what the stats say. Also her slandering of people in an organization that she has no known connections with just for a radio hit also comes off as unprofessional and she didnt provide any sources or say my source.

ill listen to it again later but she was definitely not the type of person who you think will get along with people who have a differing opinions then hers. Come across has closed minded and stubborn.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

the ep remark could also just be a very negative spin on a situation where he could have played if needed but it was best to heal the wrist. given what has happened to his wrist shot, it would be hard to second guess resting it if that is what happened.

this is separate from the fact ep was obviously frustrated early last season and there was so much on ice drama with jt miller. i believed last year there was probably a breach in the room centred around them.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Except it fits into the narrative that she has been taking jabs at the Devils organization since she was fired...err since she parted amicably. At the time, the full expectation was that the Devils would pick Hughes. But like you said, if she went on a podcast and made a bunch of stuff up, why do we want someone like that?

The idea that she was bad mouthing a player to get back at her former team not even knowing if he was going to be available at their pick is a stretch, especially because she said good things about other prospects that the Devils very well could have been forced to take if Hughes was off the board.

If she did do that, then absolutely she shouldn’t be getting a job, especially when she was publicly badmouthing the Canucks and it would be ridiculous if they didn’t know. But if she did make that stuff up and is still at this stage, the team is massively screwing up.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I actually have the Area 51 podcast episode with Doerrie, that appears to have been scrubbed, downloaded on my old phone. But no idea how to share it.

Reactions: Jyrki21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln