Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean it’s inexcusable for us to accept that deal. It’s insane. Let’s have our farm team develop other teams prospect. Like why have a bloody farm team?

It's obviously a cost control measure. With NHL teams carrying a taxi squad, the Canucks would have had to fill out the Comets with other players per their affiliation agreement. If the Blues didn't pay the Canucks then they shared part of the costs and risks.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I know nothing about her and really don't give any shits if she has ragged on the Canucks. This is an organization that has long deserved to get flak.

I can't remember now which podcast it was but she was on one a while ago discussing Brackett, canucks scouting, her experiences with the devil's scouting department etc. Came across very bright and informed. I think it'll be a great hire.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I can't remember now which podcast it was but she was on one a while ago discussing Brackett, canucks scouting, her experiences with the devil's scouting department etc. Came across very bright and informed. I think it'll be a great hire.

Was it her podcast?

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
Was it her podcast?

No, she was a guest on another one.

Interesting. It was the area 51 podcast but the episode she was on, seems to have disappeared.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The search history on HF and twitter for Rachel Doerrie as it pertains to Canucks related stuff is hilarious.

So many of a certain crowd absolutely despised her for her reports. Apparently it’s libellous slander

She’s had some interesting nuggets
- JT being an anti-masker
- Canucks season ticket sales have been in the f***ing toilet
- Pettersson relationship was so fractured that he chose not to play last season
- Some stuff about Hamonic

A lot more

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
If it makes most Canucks fans furious, I'm actually probably fine with it. We're a giant pack of morons.*

*the vast majority of sports fans are the dumbest of the dumb**
**college fans are the worst***
***football (the kicking sport) might actually be the worst

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
doerrie getting hired by the canucks would be head exploding stuff given the things she said. we need to collect it all together to source it before it all gets erased.

she said a lot of stuff that i would think would block a hire if she made it up. the key stuff would be:

1. ep refused to rejoin the team after covid last year. he was healthy enough to have played but unhappy.
2. jt miller was a major covid scofflaw and the team breached protocol a lot following his lead.

very strange to be hearing this just as jt miller trade rumours heat up, and ep suddenly starts playing better.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
doerrie getting hired by the canucks would be head exploding stuff given the things she said. we need to collect it all together to source it before it all gets erased.

she said a lot of stuff that i would think would block a hire if she made it up. the key stuff would be:

1. ep refused to rejoin the team after covid last year. he was healthy enough to have played but unhappy.
2. jt miller was a major covid scofflaw and the team breached protocol a lot following his lead.

very strange to be hearing this just as jt miller trade rumours heat up, and ep suddenly starts playing better.

She is incredibly well spoken

She’s been on the dot about 100% of Canucks related stuff the last few years from a hockey ops POV

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

I mean...unless it's all true.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I’ll rephrase. Her consistently accurate opinions of Van management

She also brought up a lot of interesting comments/rumors from a position of being ITK that a lot of the twitter canucks JB stans absolutely despised. E.g., pettersson chose not to play the tail end of last season and was actually healthy, some stuff about JTM.

Oh her. She's probably the most qualified of the female candidates but I read that she also spread disinformation about Luke Hughes' character without anything backing it up (probably just to take a jab at the Devils). She's probably very smart and ambitious but I'm not a fan of made up stories.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006
I think her hiring seems inevitable, particularly with the scrubbing of the internet/twitter with of a lot of her previous discussions of how the Canucks were run.

I'm all for them bringing in someone like that a fresh voice, someone who's been critical in the past will help change how the team is run, and make them better overall.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Interesting, one of the bigger supporter and expert in advanced analytic
Often bumps head with the old school fans or hockey men on social media

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
A comment about Mellanby. I still don't understand why people want him. It's not like he was AGM coming from a successful organization. In fact, quite the opposite.

rypper

Dec 22, 2006

She is incredibly well spoken

She’s been on the dot about 100% of Canucks related stuff the last few years from a hockey ops POV

Are you actually able to play the episode? Seems like it's been deleted.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Would love a Doerrie hire. Extremely smart and well spoken. I think she would be able to draw other progressive and smart people to any department she runs, too.

Don't GAF about her talking about what a **** show the Canucks front office was—she was right, and could articulate why they were bad. I don't want anyone in the FO who thought Benning/Weisbrod were doing stuff well.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
A comment about Mellanby. I still don't understand why people want him. It's not like he was AGM coming from a successful organization. In fact, quite the opposite.
One thing we’ve really all discussed is that there’s not much of a point having a strong opinion on candidates (outside of MacFarland and Tulsky)

You can never truly tell what someone’s opinions/thoughts are just because they were an assistant to stupidity or even if they were an assistant for a good organization.

MS made a lot of good comparisons on how the most desired candidates generally fall down the ladder pretty quickly.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Oh her. She's probably the most qualified of the female candidates but I read that she also spread disinformation about Luke Hughes' character without anything backing it up (probably just to take a jab at the Devils). She's probably very smart and ambitious but I'm not a fan of made up stories.

She made those comments before Hughes was drafted. Maybe she went on a podcast and made a bunch of stuff up but that seems like a good way to never work in hockey again.

Reactions: Vector

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Would love a Doerrie hire. Extremely smart and well spoken. I think she would be able to draw other progressive and smart people to any department she runs, too.

Don't GAF about her talking about what a **** show the Canucks front office was—she was right, and could articulate why they were bad. I don't want anyone in the FO who thought Benning/Weisbrod were doing stuff well.
Exactly
People who hate her for her past consistent criticisms on the JB’s regime need to look themselves in the mirror

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
well yeah. they would know and how could they possibly hire her if she made up bad shit about two of their best players?

That's kind of what I'm getting at. If it was all made up, that would have tanked her chances. Hiring her kind of validates a lot of it. You would hope that our media would at least question her on it if this becomes official.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Doerrie's resume is sure excellent, but her history of Canucks related chatter makes this a little surprising.

Also, with Futa's name being in the mix for GM, could our "Final 5" be Allvin, Burke, Mellanby, Futa and one additional person? (is there a name I'm forgetting?)

EDIT: For Doerrie's chatter, I have no issue with her being critical of the previous front office and their decisions. But some of the claims about Petey and Miller are definitely eyebrow raising.

Reactions: alternate

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
That would not be a good hire. She is very head strong and comes off as a person who wouldnt work well in a group environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad