Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I actually have the Area 51 podcast episode with Doerrie, that appears to have been scrubbed, downloaded on my old phone. But no idea how to share it.
Try sending the file on twitter DMs to me if you can because I would like to listen to it. Never had the chance to.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I just watched that Behind the B clip the other night when the Bruins we're discussing trading Seguin and that's the feeling I got from that group, they all had the same mantra that Chiarelli was touting.

Just 18 sack-of-potato-body men sitting in a room spewing hockey platitudes reinforcing the GM's decision, yep.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
No, she was a guest on another one.

Interesting. It was the area 51 podcast but the episode she was on, seems to have disappeared.
Heh, I was the one raving about her appearance here in the summer and I was just coming on to point out the episode had disappeared.

The talk of Futa makes some sense as the two of them were a package deal last year.

I think this is great news. Is she a little big for her britches sometimes? Maybe, but she is smart as a whip and will be a much-needed check on some of the irrational hockey man stuff that may creep in. It actually reflects well on Futa to have been open to a modern direction whatever we may think of him.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

This is from back on Jan 9th, and followers of the show mentioned that she hinted that she was likely to be moving on to bigger things.

Haven't been this many signs pointing to this being a near done deal in a long time—welcome to the era of hiring people with active podcasts/social media presences instead of middle aged dudes who are completely off the radar.

That tweet was in relation to the podcast moving to The Hockey News, as an FYI.

Reactions: timw33

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
On one hand, it's great to see the FO and President being comprehensive and thorough in their search for a GM and AGM's...but the transparency and leaks to the public is making me question the validity of this search and process. Like, if they go for Alvin, Mellanby and Johnson as the main guys, then it will lead me questioning if the drawn out process was just for show.

Although hiring Rachel Doerrie is a big WTF for me so who knows.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
On one hand, it's great to see the FO and President being comprehensive and thorough in their search for a GM and AGM's...but the transparency and leaks to the public is making me question the validity of this search and process. Like, if they go for Alvin, Mellanby and Johnson as the main guys, then it will lead me questioning if the drawn out process was just for show.

Although hiring Rachel Doerrie is a big WTF for me so who knows.

Clancy came very quickly and quietly too. I suspect the reasons we're hearing the GMs name leak is because they work for teams or are connected through means while Doerrie and Clancy are both pretty exclusive to Rutherford. The reason it seems like this is dragging on is because, I believe, that initial list of candidates was to find people to fill out other positions as well. Allvin, Burke, and Futa are all employed employed by NHL teams and there are processes it takes to get permission and work out timelines.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Very, very interesting.

I would think this means that Mike Futa is likely the frontrunner?

The blowback on the stuff she's reported in the past will be fascinating.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Very, very interesting.

Wasn’t Futa the guy that built a panthers team sorely based on analytic but then got kicked out cause the owner chased Dale Talon?

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Very, very interesting.

What’s the connection between Futa and Doerrie?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What’s the connection between Futa and Doerrie?

I don't know how they're connected in terms of their background together but as @Jyrki21 mentioned above Doerrie was attached to Futa last spring when there was some contact between Futa and ownership here and would have had a role if Futa had been brought in at that point.

Reactions: Jyrki21

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Wasn’t Futa the guy that built a panthers team sorely based on analytic but then got kicked out cause the owner chased Dale Talon?

You're thinking of Tom Rowe, who IIRC leaned heavily into the "Computer Boys" (former Canucks Army Analytic guys), and some of his first big moves were moving Gudbranson for 2nd + 4th + McCann and signing Marchessault 2 years 750k per.

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad