Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Rick Dhaliwal just seconds ago on Chet.tv

Oh boy!

That would be an excellent hire. But does he want to come? As long as the Avs remain a contender, he's a frontrunner for all GM positions. Does he want to come here just to be a GM or does he want to go to another team where he has the autonomy to build his own staff?

This is a guy with extensive AGM experience. Not a young guy getting offered a GM job sooner than expected. He's also not an former GM who might never get a chance to GM again.

In the past, Rutherford has "groomed" future GMs but he never ceded power. He didn't pull a George McPhee. Rutherford is getting up there in age and reportedly has a 3 year contract. Does MacFarland get a 5 year contract to come here? A 3 year contract would be on the short end for an incoming GM and offers little security.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I'm not sure both MacFarland and Allvin would be coming over. Unless Allvin is being pushed out by Hextall/Burke, coming here wouldn't be a promotion and it's the same for MacFarland.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Come on, JR. Use that magic to bring in MacFarland. I believe in you.

Allvin, too, while you’re at it. Sit back and watch the Canucks rise to the top

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Don't want to get my hopes up, but MacFarland (Next to Gilman) would be the best case scenario.

Reactions: vanuck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The one thing is that Carolina's owner is cheap as in reportedly abnormally cheap when it comes to paying their hockey operations staff. So there is a chance that Tulsky isn't and won't be paid a proper GM salary. It isn't the end all be all, but it kind of sucks when you don't feel fairly compensated.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker

As JR said, the stronger the office is, the stronger the team is

So diversity for the sake of diversity is a good thing... why?

Why not just bring in the most competent people? The women mentioned should be in equal consideration as the men they're looking at. Bring in the people with the best business acumen and hockey knowledge.

I don't like this corporate philosophy creeping into NHL front offices. Even if the NHL has gone full idiot with the 'old boy club' stuff, it doesn't mean you should go full idiot in the other direction.

Are they going to make sure their bases are covered diversity wise in player acquisition as well? Just a pretty odd way of going about things. Especially from Frank, who is clearly trying to cover his own ass with the bad PR coming his way the last few months.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
This canucks management looks top tier to me. Where are all the people who scoffed at Rutherford? This is a man with 3 cups. Come on now.

I'll say it again it's been a VERY long time since I was excited to be a Canucks fan. JR has brought back my enthusiasm.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
This canucks management looks top tier to me. Where are all the people who scoffed at Rutherford? This is a man with 3 cups. Come on now.

I'll say it again it's been a VERY long time since I was excited to be a Canucks fan. JR has brought back my enthusiasm.

I was against the Rutherford hiring at the time, because like Holland I wasn't a fan of his last few years with the Penguins. I will eat crow and say so far so good. He definitely will be a good fit in the presidents role and building the organization again.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Posted this in the other thread but thought it would be good to post here too

Jennifer Botterill would be interesting. She’s clearly very intelligent and fairly qualified for the job. 3 time Olympic gold medalist, Harvard Graduate (cue comparisons to John Weisbrod), well connected in the league because of her family and work with Sportsnet. Her analysis of the game is always good

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Posted this in the other thread but thought it would be good to post here too

Jennifer Botterill would be interesting. She’s clearly very intelligent and fairly qualified for the job. 3 time Olympic gold medalist, Harvard Graduate (cue comparisons to John Weisbrod), well connected in the league because of her family and work with Sportsnet. Her analysis of the game is always good
Going to join in then. Probably should just used this! :laugh:

If they are looking for a women i hope look at Alexandra Mandrycky. Especially if they dont get Sam Ventura. Think she would make an excellent Analytics Agm. Only problem is prying her away from seattle

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad