Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
That would not be a good hire. She is very head strong and comes off as a person who wouldnt work well in a group environment.
Lmao there speaketh a man who is not used to women in positions of power. Shaken to their boots by someone competent having confidence in themselves. The horror!!

Personally fired up about Doerrie. She comes across as a critical thinker, someone who takes very little guff, and someone who is actually knowledgable and curious. Stoked for this

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Someone needs to go and binge all her content to document the Canucks nuggets before it all gets taken down.

Reactions: Back in 94

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Lmao there speaketh a man who is not used to women in positions of power. Shaken to their boots by someone competent having confidence in themselves. The horror!!

Personally fired up about Doerrie. She comes across as a critical thinker, someone who takes very little guff, and someone who is actually knowledgable and curious. Stoked for this
The fact that she got hired as a legit nhl team analytic staff at the age of 21 tells you the level of her intelligent

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It's obviously a cost control measure. With NHL teams carrying a taxi squad, the Canucks would have had to fill out the Comets with other players per their affiliation agreement. If the Blues didn't pay the Canucks then they shared part of the costs and risks.
I mean even then you don’t accept a lopsided agreement unless they are paying for everything.

Reactions: timw33

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I mean even then you don’t accept a lopsided agreement unless they are paying for everything.

But that's the thing though. Whether the Canucks were approached or reached out, the Canucks were looking to bringing a team to share their affiliate for a year to control costs. That agreement would include terms such as the number of players the Blues can have on the team at any given time, the Canucks staff running the team, and maybe some stipulation that their goalies have to play every now and then. I mean if the Blues wanted to make sure that their goalie(s) gets some games in towards the end of the season and not something like 2 out the last 10 games that's not an unreasonable request. With no playoffs considerations, that's a 80%-20% split in net.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
But that's the thing though. Whether the Canucks were approached or reached out, the Canucks were looking to bringing a team to share their affiliate for a year to control costs. That agreement would include terms such as the number of players the Blues can have on the team at any given time, the Canucks staff running the team, and maybe some stipulation that their goalies have to play every now and then. I mean if the Blues wanted to make sure that their goalie(s) gets some games in towards the end of the season and not something like 2 out the last 10 games that's not an unreasonable request. With no playoffs considerations, that's a 80%-20% split in net.
I mean of course that’s what the blues would want and negotiate for. I think a 50-50 split is more reasonable and it’s stupid that we decided that 80-20 was acceptable for us.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015

Idk why you bring your own insecurities about females into the decision. What I said has nothing to do with her being a female and everything to do with her personality coming off as abrasive and no easy to get along with in a position where she is managing a department. The key word there being managing. A lot of smart people make horrible managers because they dont have the people skills to deligate. Some of the best managers are people with marginal intelligence but the people skills to communicate clearly what they want and what they are looking for.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Rachael Dorrie btw, turns 26 next week…
She got hired by the devils when she was 21…
Talking about a genius

also got fired the next year and hasnt worked in the Nhl since then. That has a bigger impact then what age she was hired. Chyka was what 32 when he was called the saviour of the yotes. That turned out well

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I have a problem with her personality being in a manager/director roll in the organization but, that is moot since she is just an analyst. All you other people are making it about her gender which rises bigger questions about your acceptance of females since you cant get past that point.

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Idk why you bring your own insecurities about females into the decision. What I said has nothing to do with her being a female and everything to do with her personality coming off as abrasive and no easy to get along with in a position where she is managing a department. The key word there being managing. A lot of smart people make horrible managers because they dont have the people skills to deligate. Some of the best managers are people with marginal intelligence but the people skills to communicate clearly what they want and what they are looking for.
But the whole point is that speaking poorly of a woman due to personality traits that would be praised in a man is a classic move used to denigrate female candidates.

"Head strong" in a woman = "Focused & competent" in a man

"Doesn't work well in a group environment" = "Leader who takes charge"

I definitely came off too strong in my original post, I definitely shouldn't have accused you of anything and that is my genuine error, I apologize. But slagging competent women as "unpleasant" or "tryhard" is a classic misogynist crutch, and I would hope that we can work to avoid stuff like that as we discuss Doerrie's hiring.

Her past work experience, expected remit within the org, what this means for future structure in analytics, all obviously fair game. But saying "some people might not want to work with her, bad hire" is bullshit

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Is Ray Ferraro less "abrasive" than RD? I don't recall people raising that as an issue when his name was put forward as a management hire.

My take is that RD is a young high IQ person who will do very well in an analyst role. She could be someone to keep an eye on as a future GM if she has or can develop the EQ to match.

The added bonus is seeing a young woman (of mixed ethnicity?) bringing some diversity to what has to now been the domain of old(er) white guys.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Is Ray Ferraro less "abrasive" than RD? I don't recall people raising that as an issue when his name was put forward as a management hire.

Ray is very PC. The most controversial thing he says is vouched in what he "observed." Now Ferraro is a lot older and has years of experience talking live in front of a camera and microphone so it's not a fair comparison.

I don't know about others, but I would say Ferraro isn't willing to work his way up the management chain and so it's definitely his fault if he actually wanted a high level management job and hasn't gotten one. RD is proactive and is willing to work her way up. She may very well end up being the first female GM in the NHL if an accomplished woman's hockey player doesn't get there before her.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
This post could appear in one of those implicit bias and diversity training courses I need to take for work every year.

it’s so pointless to judge people if you haven’t worked with them or been in an interview setting where at least you have time to interact with them.

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
But the whole point is that speaking poorly of a woman due to personality traits that would be praised in a man is a classic move used to denigrate female candidates.

"Head strong" in a woman = "Focused & competent" in a man

"Doesn't work well in a group environment" = "Leader who takes charge"

I definitely came off too strong in my original post, I definitely shouldn't have accused you of anything and that is my genuine error, I apologize. But slagging competent women as "unpleasant" or "tryhard" is a classic misogynist crutch, and I would hope that we can work to avoid stuff like that as we discuss Doerrie's hiring.

Her past work experience, expected remit within the org, what this means for future structure in analytics, all obviously fair game. But saying "some people might not want to work with her, bad hire" is bullshit
No matter what gender you are you are going to have to play nice in the sandbox with others and come together as a team. I know nothing about her and will not dig up her history to avoid biasing myself. Everyone is assessed based on their performance of this version of this team. At least they don’t seem to be elevating her to a situation where she’s punching above her weight. I’m all for building a diverse team, but you build up a very diverse talent POOL, and then select the best person for the job from that pool. You don’t select someone because they check a box.
Good job so far.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad