Speculation: Canucks GM (+ AGM) Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'll have to apologize. I think I misheard the last part of it. Here's his exact quote on what he feels the set-up will be like in contrasting the two franchises.

"And it's funny how you made that caveat about Montreal. And really the same sort of setup exists, maybe actually even more so that Jeff Gorton is running the Montreal Canadiens than Jim Rutherford would be running the Vancouver Canucks on a day to day, hour by hour transaction basis. It feels like the general manager in Vancouver is going to have a bit more say a bit more power and control, than perhaps what plays out in Montreal. It seems more collaborative there."

So it wasn't that Rutherford would have more autonomy but that the Canucks GM would have more autonomy than the Canadiens new GM.
Hughes is new to NHL management so he would need to lean on Gorton more.

so depends on who JR hires. Less experienced, less autonomy to start.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
Hopefully the Canucks can scoop Ventura and Young for development and analytics departments. Those would be the biggest gets from the Penguins that would excite me. Otherwise, I'm hoping the Canucks go with someone outside the Penguin bubble for more fresh eyes to the team than just Rutherford and his group.

Verbeek would be the best of the bunch, Burke I hope they stay away from. Can still see Mellanby or Allvin be picked up as an AGM to some surprise candidate. Someone that's not been on the media's lips in speculations. So many people in the media think it's Allvin because they can connect dots and look knowledgeable by doing so, but we have no idea how much Rutherford actually trusts him.

Reactions: bossram

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'll have to apologize. I think I misheard the last part of it. Here's his exact quote on what he feels the set-up will be like in contrasting the two franchises.

"And it's funny how you made that caveat about Montreal. And really the same sort of setup exists, maybe actually even more so that Jeff Gorton is running the Montreal Canadiens than Jim Rutherford would be running the Vancouver Canucks on a day to day, hour by hour transaction basis. It feels like the general manager in Vancouver is going to have a bit more say a bit more power and control, than perhaps what plays out in Montreal. It seems more collaborative there."

So it wasn't that Rutherford would have more autonomy but that the Canucks GM would have more autonomy than the Canadiens new GM.

Thanks and it will be interesting. Rutherford, obviously, has been a GM in this league for many years and knows how to "manage up." There is nothing in his history that suggests that he is willing to work in an environment where ownership forces him to do things that he's not comfortable with (cost cutting aside). His focus has been to build out the management team as much as it is to bring in a GM. He has talked more about bringing in an entry-level GM he can mentor. Reports are that Rutherford is collaborative.

Gorton, on the other hand, has worked as a GM with a POHO. So he's been in Hughes' shoes. His focus was to bring in a GM. He has talked about the GM having decision making power and making decisions. He talked about "two-man, complementary systems" (kind of like Jim and John? :sarcasm:)

So I guess to me, on the surface, it seems that Montreal's GM would have more decision making authority.

On another note, I found it interesting that reports are saying that Bergevin didn't believe in analytics and Montreal's analytics department is basically non-existent. Contrast with the Canucks where Rutherford has praised the work of Fox.

Reactions: Vector

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Agreed. The college guys have their own programs and often times don't even attend rookie camp. Heck, whether the player should spend another year in college often isn't the team's decision. There's very little access to them and the school and the player should take most of the credit for their development. I will not give the Canucks credit for "developing" Hughes or even Gaudette who didn't really become a better player from what we saw fresh out of college. Goalies are Clark's domain.

Goldy was developed by San Jose and again we weren't able to develop him further. Motte, I think, just got a regular opportunity to play and managed to put it together. I'm not sure if the "Player Development" department works with guys who are already in the NHL and no longer in rookie camps so I would absolve the Player Development department for post NHL developmental progress.

MacEwen is a good development story, but his game never advanced in the NHL. Like I said, I'm not going to blame the Player Development department here.

Gadjovich is in the NHL now, but I don't think the Canucks spent time developing him as a 4th line enforcer.

In terms of the Dmen. I won't place too much blame here (yet). There wasn't much to work with, especially with Juolevi injured. How Woo and Rathbone develop will be telling since the next best talent that Johnson and his crew had to work with was Brisebois. The fact that Chatfield, Sautner, and McEneny (pre-injury) developed into good enough AHL players to warrant a callup is good, but I'm setting the bar pretty low here.
We can’t ignore the fact the team really f***ed up on Dipietro as well. How the hell did our farm team prioritize dev of a Blues prospect over ours is f***ing insane.

Reactions: rypper

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
We can’t ignore the fact the team really f***ed up on Dipietro as well. How the hell did our farm team prioritize dev of a Blues prospect over ours is f***ing insane.
Cull was the HC. You’d think he’d play the Canucks players. I think he’s someone that JR has to consider replacing. What’s his track record of player development?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Cull was the HC. You’d think he’d play the Canucks players. I think he’s someone that JR has to consider replacing. What’s his track record of player development?

To be fair, when they worked out the shared affiliation deal, the two teams probably agreed that having one team's goaltender play 8 out of 10 games would be unreasonable. Once the deal was struck that St. Louis would also be filling up Comets' roster, you lost a measure of control.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Having your top goalie prospect go more than a year without playing an actual game is indefensible and says everything about the period that Jim Benning ran the team.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
To be fair, when they worked out the shared affiliation deal, the two teams probably agreed that having one team's goaltender play 8 out of 10 games would be unreasonable. Once the deal was struck that St. Louis would also be filling up Comets' roster, you lost a measure of control.
Overall Cull hasnt done much in the A to benefit the Canucks.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
There was the thought from a reporter or two that maybe the #2 or #3 choice could also be brought in as a senior AGM. I wouldn't be shocked if this ended up being Allvin as the GM with Mellanby brought in as the top-most AGM. Also wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks come out of this with something like 5 AGMs.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I mean it’s inexcusable for us to accept that deal. It’s insane. Let’s have our farm team develop other teams prospect. Like why have a bloody farm team?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I really think there’s a lot to the Rick suggesting Dorrie thing. It’s been quiet with all other names and Rachel has deleted a LOT of her previous canucks slander from her TL.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Interesting!

A little while ago there was a spot by Dreger on S&P where he kind of ran down the list of popular female candidates and seemed to shoot down most of the more discussed names. Here's a potential name to add to the mix:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Interesting!

A little while ago there was a spot by Dreger on S&P where he kind of ran down the list of popular female candidates and seemed to shoot down most of the more discussed names. Here's a potential name to add to the mix:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I really think there’s a lot to the Rick suggesting Dorrie thing. It’s been quiet with all other names and Rachel has deleted a LOT of her previous canucks slander from her TL.

Canucks slander? Definitely don't want her then.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Canucks slander? Definitely don't want her then.

I’ll rephrase. Her consistently accurate opinions of Van management

She also brought up a lot of interesting comments/rumors from a position of being ITK that a lot of the twitter canucks JB stans absolutely despised. E.g., pettersson chose not to play the tail end of last season and was actually healthy, some stuff about JTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad