Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sens - 5-1 (Motte x 2, Miller x 2, Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
We replaced a "Vezina calibre" goaltender who was due a ridiculous raise with an... actual Vezina (and Jennings, and Stanley Cup) winner for far less money. Are you saying we made a mistake in not signing Marky to an Eriksson-esque contract? What would your contingency plan have been if Demko got injured? Anders Nilsson v 2.0? Fact is that both our goalies have been pretty solid considering the pitiful defensive play in front of them so I apologise if my comment irked you but saying that Demko should get most of the starts based on good play against a team that would find it tough sledding in the DEL is going a bit far IMHO. Unless Demko can play Marky-esque hockey against GOOD teams consistently he will probably remain the 1b goalie simply because Holtby has been there and done that and done it at the highest possible levels. He would really have to stink it up to lose his 1a status at this point in time and with the Canucks playing like hot garbage in their own zone I doubt much will change in the goaltending picture. IMHO neither guy has won or lost a game for us singlehandedly and unless that happens a few times nothing will change in the pecking order.

There’s a lot here but Holtby is no longer the vezina caliber goalie he used to be. If that’s a core part of your argument then it’s seriously flawed to begin with. This is Ryan Miller all over again. And calling Markstroms current salary ridiculous is extremely disingenuous and frankly outright incorrect. The part that irked me was calling my post dumb while providing nothing of substance. Which, honestly, I’m still not seeing anything substantial based on RECENT results and reality.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hey if you started like this we could have discussed this like adults from the start. We gave up on a vezina caliber goaltender to roll with Demko so as long as he’s at least equal to Holtby he should be getting the majority of starts regardless. Not 75-25 but the majority. Otherwise we should have kept markstrom.

I personally think Holtby was redundant and his cap better used towards Toffoli or Tanev and a cheaper backup. And so far he’s been okay at best. Nothing against the guy personally. But I think he was a misuse of limited cap space.
Disagree about cheaping out on a backup..especially in a compressed schedule...If your main guy goes down , you're cooked ..A normal regular season, I might agree with you...

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We replaced a "Vezina calibre" goaltender who was due a ridiculous raise with an... actual Vezina (and Jennings, and Stanley Cup) winner for far less money. Are you saying we made a mistake in not signing Marky to an Eriksson-esque contract? What would your contingency plan have been if Demko got injured? Anders Nilsson v 2.0? Fact is that both our goalies have been pretty solid considering the pitiful defensive play in front of them so I apologise if my comment irked you but saying that Demko should get most of the starts based on good play against a team that would find it tough sledding in the DEL is going a bit far IMHO. Unless Demko can play Marky-esque hockey against GOOD teams consistently he will probably remain the 1b goalie simply because Holtby has been there and done that and done it at the highest possible levels. He would really have to stink it up to lose his 1a status at this point in time and with the Canucks playing like hot garbage in their own zone I doubt much will change in the goaltending picture. IMHO neither guy has won or lost a game for us singlehandedly and unless that happens a few times nothing will change in the pecking order.

Just commenting on the 1a / 1b portion, you could make a case that Demko is 1a. He just started two games in a row, and the first of a back to back, didn’t he? They’re of course going to go with Holtby next game, but it will be curious what happens after that. I personally think the 1a / 1b is going to flip flop a few times over this year, but I certainly don’t think Holtby has any sort of hold or is favoured to retain that role over Demko. If anything I personally think it’s the opposite.

I am glad we have both though, it puts us in a way better position especially with how congested this schedule is.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some hopeful signs in this game especially in terms of the LOTTO line. However, reminiscent of last year when goal tending had to be sensational to get team through some of the defensive blunders. Hard to believe how much the game turned around after the first.

Good

Demko - was all world in the first and good after that as well. If he continues like this he is giving Benning a get out jail card. Made some outstanding reaction saves and smothered shots a lot better than earlier in the season. Far and away the first star

Pettersson - still playing in flashes but back to showing off some incredible skill

Miller - upping his game is central to getting the whole line going. Puck movement and puck protection better. Needs to stop with the penalties but some of that due to covering back for shoddy defense

Motte - up to 5 goals. Agree with announcer he might be our best overall forward this season. Helping the team in so many ways. Continuation of the great playoff play of last season

Myers - dreadful first where he was very awkward and clumsy but was a power from the offensive blue line as the game went on.. Also, like Edler, got a better in clearing the area around his net as the game went on. Thought Schmidt was quietly effective.

Bad

Virtanen - somehow end this ordeal with Virtanen. He is simply not that good a player. I think we bought the "he's so fast, he's so strong, he's has such a dynamic quality and if he could ever get his head on straight" argument too long. What we see in reality is that he doesn't have the speed to break around other players and his strength along the boards is far less than average. There is nothing about his a game that indicates any high level skill. You combine that with an inability to process the game and you've got a very fringe player.

Others

Chatfield - real rough start and overall spotty game. Showed some ability to keep the puck in at the blue line and able to use his speed to stay in the game. However, forced off the puck in his end too often and not getting on check quick enough. About what you would expect and he does deserve more time. Probably will rotate with Joulevi.

Benn - him and Hughes had some shifts where they just couldn't get the puck out. Benn wasn't bad but obvious he is limited. Is not able to support the play in the neutral zone very well.

Hughes - continues to rack up the points but work in his end needs to improve. Needs to play shorter shifts (partly a result of getting trapped in his end) and ultimately will need to have a stronger partner than Benn. Movement of the puck on the PP was better.

Sutter - one night can't be stopped and next has very low key game. Generally supported the puck well but not looking for the chances like he was on Monday.

Horvat - mediocre game. He didn't have his wheels going and too many times got trailing the play as the puck was moved into his zone. There were chances for him to jump on loose pucks but he just wasn't alert or quick enough to do so. That was also the case of the PP.

Hoglander - got trying to do too much. Needs to play with a good center who can exploit the talent Hoglander has (didn't think that was Horvat in this game). Bit of Leipsic in his play although Hoglander has bit more quickness and focus.

Beagle - had effective game.

I think it is still hard to get a gauge on this team. Yet clear this team will require real good goaltending and will need to improve their defense.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I’m sorry but Chatfield looked like an AHL/NHL tweener trying real hard.
I appreciate his effort but...

When the league gets beyond the taxi squad thing, he should be that guy that can fill in when 3 or 4 d men are injured. He should not be a go to guy in the top 7.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Just commenting on the 1a / 1b portion, you could make a case that Demko is 1a. He just started two games in a row, and the first of a back to back, didn’t he? They’re of course going to go with Holtby next game, but it will be curious what happens after that. I personally think the 1a / 1b is going to flip flop a few times over this year, but I certainly don’t think Holtby has any sort of hold or is favoured to retain that role over Demko. If anything I personally think it’s the opposite.

I am glad we have both though, it puts us in a way better position especially with how congested this schedule is.

Well if I were the coach I would have started the 1b goalie back to back (and then the 1a) given the quality of the opposition. I too am glad to have both and I don't want to seem like I favour one guy over the other. Demko showed great promise in last year's playoffs but I have a long memory and I distinctly remember all my Hab-fan friends telling me that Steve Penney was the second coming of Ken Dryden oh so many years ago. Holtby is, to me, a known quantity who is coming off a meh year after playing elite level for years before that. His contract is sane (I myself can't wait to read the Flames board about 4 years from now) and he seems mentally solid, just the mentor for Demko. Our goaltending looks good, now if only the team in front of them could get their collective butts together...

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Disagree about cheaping out on a backup..especially in a compressed schedule...If your main guy goes down , you're cooked ..A normal regular season, I might agree with you...

That’s not a bad point at all but I personally think a good defensive dman like Tanev plus a cheaper backup would be a bigger net positive for the team and better for Demko’s development.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Virtanen and Chatfield both should not be in the lineup next game. Virtanen is just useless right now.

sigh.... Chatfield is testing water type of player, I get that.... but Virtanen has been playing for almost half decade..... if he doesn't get it soon, this will indeed be his last contract with the Canucks.

Reactions: Indiana

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Well if I were the coach I would have started the 1b goalie back to back (and then the 1a) given the quality of the opposition. I too am glad to have both and I don't want to seem like I favour one guy over the other. Demko showed great promise in last year's playoffs but I have a long memory and I distinctly remember all my Hab-fan friends telling me that Steve Penney was the second coming of Ken Dryden oh so many years ago. Holtby is, to me, a known quantity who is coming off a meh year after playing elite level for years before that. His contract is sane (I myself can't wait to read the Flames board about 4 years from now) and he seems mentally solid, just the mentor for Demko. Our goaltending looks good, now if only the team in front of them could get their collective butts together...

Demko had a good game last game, and was the first goalie this year to do so, so he got the start. I really think it’s as simple as that. If next game Holtby has a so-so game, well, then I think it’s becomes Demko’s job to lose until he slips up. But if Holtby has a great game, he probably gets the start Saturday as well.

I’m generally fine with them rolling it this way when we have this many games in such a short stretch. With that being said, by seasons end we need to establish who is our starter, especially if we make the playoffs.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Virtanen and Chatfield both should not be in the lineup next game. Virtanen is just useless right now.
Agree on Chatfield....but while Virtanen might be useless right now, Roussel has been worse. Why he plays night after night, and guys like MacEwen and Gaudette have been sitting out is at complete mystery that only Green has the answer to.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Agree on Chatfield....but while Virtanen might be useless right now, Roussel has been worse. Why he plays night after night, and guys like MacEwen and Gaudette have been sitting out is at complete mystery that only Green has the answer to.
This is a mystery. It’s not even as if he doesn’t help the team...he actually hurts the team. That high stick in the offensive zone was one of the stupidest penalties I’ve seen.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Tyler Motte is one of those bottom six players that Tampa would draft and we would be like that team always strikes gold in the draft. He's an elite 4th liner and I really hope we don't lose him in the expansion draft.

shhh it’s best everyone says he sucks or Seattle is gonna take him in the expansion draft. That’s infinitely more likely than them taking a bad contract like Myers off our hands.

Reactions: iceburg

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Demko had a good game last game, and was the first goalie this year to do so, so he got the start. I really think it’s as simple as that. If next game Holtby has a so-so game, well, then I think it’s becomes Demko’s job to lose until he slips up. But if Holtby has a great game, he probably gets the start Saturday as well.

I’m generally fine with them rolling it this way when we have this many games in such a short stretch. With that being said, by seasons end we need to establish who is our starter, especially if we make the playoffs.

Yeah agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad