Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sens - 5-1 (Motte x 2, Miller x 2, Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
At the time, I was disappointed we couldn't get a pick, and figured this was a nothing-trade like nearly everyone else did. Turns out, we didn't know what the hell we were talking about:

Confirmed with Link: - [VAN/CBJ] Canucks acquire F Tyler Motte, Jussi Jokinen for F Thomas Vanek

Don't know why I like it so much (and no offense to the poster), but this post from the 2nd page gave me a good chuckle:

"Jim Benning everyone, Jim Benning"

Is it okay if I still feel that way?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
motte tied in goals with horvat. hes continuing where he left off in the playoffs last year. 8 goals in 16 games. bottom sixers contributing. lotto line slowly working their way back. petey with a selfish play drop pass to hughes and to miller. virtanen useless. mia scratch him for loui eriksson for all i care.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Chatfield just ok. Definitely not a top 7 defender on any good team but he's not BAD. Nets out to zero when comparing him to Juolevi tbh

I think this game was a pretty good encapsulation of how I view Chatfield. His skating, physical play and defensive IQ are NHL level, but his hands put a ceiling on him as he can make costly handling errors that can lead to turnovers and limits his transition and offensive game. Reminds me of Ryan Stanton.

I think if he maximises his strengths and maybe improves his handling a touch he can be a steady 5/6/7 dman who is good on the pk. However he could also find himself back in the AHL if things don't quite go his way. The fact that he's an RHD gives him a chance to stick around longer than Stanton.

Juolevi Can't skate as well and isn't as physical but his hands and hockey IQ are miles better which gives him the higher ceiling, although maybe only that of a 4/5 dman who can PK and fill in on the PP. Like an all situations Dman but not on the top units but is useful because of his versatility.

Both need NHL minutes to see how they progress but I'm happy to have them in a rotation until one of them really separates themselves. I don't think it's such a big deal that Juolevi was scratched after a game in which he scored. He obviously wants to play every day but he'll know he didn't get scratched for poor play but rather due to rotation. I personally don't think it's good for their development to take the approach that they play until they screw up and then get pulled. It can make these young players who are playing for a spot on the roster play nervous and afraid to make a mistake.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
At the time, I was disappointed we couldn't get a pick, and figured this was a nothing-trade like nearly everyone else did. Turns out, we didn't know what the hell we were talking about:

Confirmed with Link: - [VAN/CBJ] Canucks acquire F Tyler Motte, Jussi Jokinen for F Thomas Vanek

Don't know why I like it so much (and no offense to the poster), but this post from the 2nd page gave me a good chuckle:

"Jim Benning everyone, Jim Benning"

People were desperate for picks. We had a GM that excelled at drafting who refused to seek out picks as a return. It was frustration built up over that and lack of activity at trade deadlines. Clouded judgement over the return.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I was always fine with Motte as the 12th forward on the team, but he's been pretty good since the first few games where he took a bunch of penalties.

He's got an unsustainably high shooting percentage ATM. I still think he's going to be a 20-25 point guy but maybe...

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
We'd be lucky to get Ho-Sang for Virtanen.
200-5.gif

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

"Jim Benning everyone, Jim Benning
"

He's been a good player for us..The Motte detractors should spend less time staring at the spreadsheets, and more time watching the game.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Motte has had a great start to the season but he's still the type of 4th liner that can be found relatively easily/cheaply in free agency.

The market dictated that we probably should've gotten a pick of some sort out of Vanek, and we would've been better off swinging for the fences with a 5th or whatever than taking on a 4th liner at best.

Reactions: Slurpeebaby

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This is a mystery. It’s not even as if he doesn’t help the team...he actually hurts the team. That high stick in the offensive zone was one of the stupidest penalties I’ve seen.

I actually like Roussel but he has for sure been bad so far. Not as bad as Gaudette mind you but bad. It doesn't help that he often gets penalties just for being who he is but I could see him sit a game or two if he doesn't start contributing something, anything...

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Motte has had a great start to the season but he's still the type of 4th liner that can be found relatively easily/cheaply in free agency.

The market dictated that we probably should've gotten a pick of some sort out of Vanek, and we would've been better off swinging for the fences with a 5th or whatever than taking on a 4th liner at best.

Dude let it go...

Feb 19, 2018
Definitely a realistic fear. He’s a low cost, highly effective player with speed and heart.

you protect him over Gaudette and Virtanen at this point. Try to trade them both like Jannik Hansen knowing you might loose one. Look for picks in return as Mac and Podkolzin will take their roster spots.
Finding a Kadri type 3rd line center should be our priority going into next year and both Jake and Adam help you get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I actually like Roussel but he has for sure been bad so far. Not as bad as Gaudette mind you but bad. It doesn't help that he often gets penalties just for being who he is but I could see him sit a game or two if he doesn't start contributing something, anything...

it doesnt hurt to sit him once in awhile as well. cycle guys in and out. the first 6 games he was absolutey doing nothing until the fights he had in game 1 i

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Is it ridiculous to anyone else that Quinn Hughes has 65 points in his first 82 regular season games?

The young talent on this team is absolutely sparkling. I just hope we're in a playoff position by the time Podkolzin comes over

afaict this is the full list of guys who broke 60 points in their first 82 games:

brian leetch, 82 points

larry murphy, 77 points

phil housley, 73 points

al macinnis, 69 points

gary suter, 69 points

sergei zubov, 69 points

stefan persson, 68 points

vladimir malakhov, 67 points

ray bourque, 67 points

quiggy, 65 points

barry beck, 63 points

chris chelios, 62 points

zarley zalapski, 61 points

denis potvin, 60 points

nicklas lidstrom, 60 points

but damn, makar is already at 58 points and he's still only played 64 games.

edit: added zubov, as per the tweet below

Last edited:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Holtby is the least attractive long term asset of that bunch. $4 million is $4 million. For a soon to be UFA and there’s likely at least 3 better options at goal across the league that are cheaper and younger. It’s definitely not an attractive group there but they probably take a long shot prospect rather than an older almost UFA $4 million goalie. At least that’s what’s id do.

They could certainly do differently but I’m not sure that’s wise. If Holtby lights it up and raises his stats drastically maybe it’s possible but seems like a waste given other goalies you could choose from. I have not done all that research though so if he’s really a top-3 option league-wide I’ll respectfully concede.
The only options that have contracts or are RFA's that are worth looking at are:
Col - Francouz
Dal - Khudobin
LA - Quick
Min - Talbot, Stalock
Mtl - Allen
Nsh - Ingram
Ott - Gustavsson
Pit - DeSmith
Stl - Husso
Van - Holtby
Was - Vanecek
Wpg -Berdin

4 of those guys in Gustavsson, Ingram, Husso, and Berdin are not NHL ready and who knows if they even pan out. The only guys on that list I take over Holtby are Khudobin, Allen, and Talbot. 2 of these guys have shown they are better as 1B as they cannot be 1A goalies. I'd add Vanecek if he can keep up his current play.

Now of those 12 teams listed, why would they select the goalie when they can select from:
Col - Graves, Jost, + 1 of Girard or Toews. If they go 4 d 4 f to protect both Toews and Girard, then theres: Graves, Compher, Kadri, Donskoi, Jost.
Dal - They'd take Khudobin (doubt they take Honka whos the only one worth mentioning)
LA - Maata (doubt they take Quick here)
Min - Dumba. If they go 4 d and protect Dumba, then theres: Foligno or Greenway
Mtl - 2 of Fleury or Weber or Mete (Allen could be an option here)
Nsh - Sissons, Kunin, Jarnkrok (I expect them to protect 4 d)
Ott - 3 of Connor Brown, Logan Brown, Tierny, Paul, Chlapik, Abramov
Pit - Tanev, Aston-Reese, Lafferty, Riikola (DeSmith is an option here)
Stl - 3 of Blais, Sundqvist, Barbashev, Perron, Sanford and 2 of Faulk, Scandella, Dunn
Van - They'd take Holtby (doubt they take MacEwen, Chatfield, Lind, Rafferty)
Was - 3 of Dillon, Kempny, Schultz, Jensen (depending on Vanecek's season, may be an option as so far no other young goalie has been, Holtby is going to be 32, Khudobin 35)
Wpg - 3 of Demelo, Beaulieu, Stanley, Niku

So pretty much every other team with a goalie worth considering has better players available at other positions asides us and Dallas. Comparing the player they'd get from us compared to Mtl and La, why select Allen or Quick to play backup while downgrading on a dman that would be one of their better options from any of the 30 teams?

CanucksMJL

Context apologist.
Jul 6, 2009
Virtanen is much better than Ho Sang lol
What I had hoped would be an obvious joke now has me pondering the virtues of Ho Sang. No need to get defensive, I keep telling myself. Comparing two players who didn't meet their perceived potential isn't laughable I tell myself. Damnit CanucksMJL why didn't you say we couldn't get Yakupov, or Cliff Ronning's kid, or f***it, Pavol Brendl. I failed and I'm sorry.

Reactions: Indiana

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
What I had hoped would be an obvious joke now has me pondering the virtues of Ho Sang. No need to get defensive, I keep telling myself. Comparing two players who didn't meet their perceived potential isn't laughable I tell myself. Damnit CanucksMJL why didn't you say we couldn't get Yakupov, or Cliff Ronning's kid, or f***it, Pavol Brendl. I failed and I'm sorry.

The ideal Virtanen trade is a C who has 'disappointed' offensively but is well-suited to be repurposed into a match-up 3C. That would be a homerun if it could be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad