Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Sens - 5-1 (Motte x 2, Miller x 2, Pettersson)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tyler Motte is one of those bottom six players that Tampa would draft and we would be like that team always strikes gold in the draft. He's an elite 4th liner and I really hope we don't lose him in the expansion draft.

Definitely a realistic fear. He’s a low cost, highly effective player with speed and heart.

Reactions: Indiana

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
What I don't understand is why does Schmidt get handed less minutes. He was the minute munching defenceman for Vegas.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Weird that only 7 players had points in a game they scored 5 goals.

Demko got hot
Ottawa was fragile and lost confidence
Canucks got some bounces
Canucks allowed 78 shots on net the last 2 games.

Hopefully a couple of blow-outs will get the teams focus and confidence back. Get them playing the more intense style that they had success with.

Ottawa and the rest of the North division have nothing in common. We will see if this momentum carries on for the next few weeks.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I think we lose tomorrow. It’s very hard to sweep 3 in a row. Hope we can snake a loser point out of it tho.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
But why? You seriously think they don’t have better long term options to take for goaltending across every single team? That’s basically pissing away an expansion asset for $4 million.
because its between Holtby and MacEwen unless they want someone with no NHL experience like Lind.
we protect Boeser/Horvat/Miller/Petey/Gaudette/Virtanen/Motte at F. Pearson is a UFA. On d we protect Myers/Schmidt/Juolevi. Edler is a UFA.

That leaves Holtby/MacEwen/Lind/Chatfield/Brisebois

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
because its between Holtby and MacEwen unless they want someone with no NHL experience like Lind.
we protect Boeser/Horvat/Miller/Petey/Gaudette/Virtanen/Motte at F. Pearson is a UFA. On d we protect Myers/Schmidt/Juolevi. Edler is a UFA.

That leaves Holtby/MacEwen/Lind/Chatfield/Brisebois

Holtby is the least attractive long term asset of that bunch. $4 million is $4 million. For a soon to be UFA and there’s likely at least 3 better options at goal across the league that are cheaper and younger. It’s definitely not an attractive group there but they probably take a long shot prospect rather than an older almost UFA $4 million goalie. At least that’s what’s id do.

They could certainly do differently but I’m not sure that’s wise. If Holtby lights it up and raises his stats drastically maybe it’s possible but seems like a waste given other goalies you could choose from. I have not done all that research though so if he’s really a top-3 option league-wide I’ll respectfully concede.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I am consistently... maybe not amazed, but definitely thrilled, with the play of Tyler Motte. The guy is the kind of 3rd/4th line energy tweener that you win with. The problem is that those guys don't tend to stay at such a productive level for more than just a few years. So I'm not sure he'll be at this level when the team truly turns a corner.

And forget Petey - you know he'd get it back. I'm thrilled to see Demko play this well in two consecutive games. It bodes very well.

Throwback

Sep 12, 2014
Seeing Miller, Pettersson and Hughes gel together gives me some hope, but they have a tall task to keep it consistent. If the momentum carries forward they'll be fighting for a playoff spot. Keeping my expectations in check here, it's gonna take a miracle to see the defence show up in the same way.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
There’s a lot here but Holtby is no longer the vezina caliber goalie he used to be. If that’s a core part of your argument then it’s seriously flawed to begin with. This is Ryan Miller all over again. And calling Markstroms current salary ridiculous is extremely disingenuous and frankly outright incorrect. The part that irked me was calling my post dumb while providing nothing of substance. Which, honestly, I’m still not seeing anything substantial based on RECENT results and reality.

We are back at this crap again? We sign Markstrom and we lose Demko, and when the core is in their prime, Markstrom would be on the decline.

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
They gotta get at least a point tomorrow before we head off for a very tough road trip.

Wineppeg will have have had 4 days off before they play us on Saturday, meanwhile that will be our 3rd game in 4 nights. ‍♂️

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Demko had a good game last game, and was the first goalie this year to do so, so he got the start. I really think it’s as simple as that. If next game Holtby has a so-so game, well, then I think it’s becomes Demko’s job to lose until he slips up. But if Holtby has a great game, he probably gets the start Saturday as well.

I’m generally fine with them rolling it this way when we have this many games in such a short stretch. With that being said, by seasons end we need to establish who is our starter, especially if we make the playoffs.

If we haven't established who our starter is by then, we've not made the playoffs.

Reactions: Indiana and jd22

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Forwards we would protect
Petey Miller Boeser Horvat Motte Gaudette Virtanen
Wouldn’t need to protect Hoglander/Podz
Expose Beagle, Roussel, Erickson
Pearson Sutter Baertschi coming off contracts
That is our 7 protected
Zero reason Virtanen should be protected.

If anything he should be dealt for a Snickers bar.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Chatfield just ok. Definitely not a top 7 defender on any good team but he's not BAD. Nets out to zero when comparing him to Juolevi tbh

dedutchhockey

Dec 30, 2020
I am consistently... maybe not amazed, but definitely thrilled, with the play of Tyler Motte. The guy is the kind of 3rd/4th line energy tweener that you win with. The problem is that those guys don't tend to stay at such a productive level for more than just a few years. So I'm not sure he'll be at this level when the team truly turns a corner.

And forget Petey - you know he'd get it back. I'm thrilled to see Demko play this well in two consecutive games. It bodes very well.

Thomas Vanek for Tyler Motte was a very very under rated trade ! Motte needs to be part of our core. He is perfect bottom 6 player.
Jannik Hansen Esque

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad