Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 5-1 (Benn, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Boeser)

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Noticed our forwards have been coming back deeper in our own end recently which has been helping with breakouts. Good to see the coaching staff make adjustments after a while.

Also, Gaudette needs more minutes in the top 6 instead of being shackled with Sutter. He's been getting lots of chances and is primed for a breakout any moment now.

Yep, just looked at Natural Stat Trick. That 4th line was... tragic. Especially Eriksson who has been straight up unplayable.

I do think Virtanen is better than his current numbers indicate - he's generally been decent in his relative shot shares throughout his career.

Seriously, get MacEwen in there over Loui already.

Probably explains why he looked off tonight from Mossey's observations.
Agree about Gaudette. He needs to play with other skilled players. Maybe he can't put it together but he needs more chances to try.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Nice to get some reward from improved play.

Flames are cooking Marky. And wtf on the charging plays. glad no one got injured although if Markstrom did i probably would have laughed

Top line wasn't great but can snipe and did tonight. NHL.com had Miller as the 1st star over Horvat and Hoglander??....must have just watched highlights. So bad.

Horvat Hoagie and Pearson were dynamite and won this game for us.

Benn and OJ played pretty solid. Guess Hamonic being ready put a little extra fire in the belly. Really happy for OJ after the adversity. Still has a ways to go. Definitely has the head for the NHL game which is huge.

Our 3rd line is pretty poor. Sutter can hold the fort defensively and Gaudette threatens offense. The rest of the play is not good enough long term.

Poor Beagle has had a good start and something going with Motte and now he's having to play with a carcass and a guy that's lost. Like he needs that when he's 35

Like that the team has cleaned up some of its play. Like that the top guys are playing better 200ft and reducing some of the crazy dangerous scrimmage plays....especially Hughes. That pass he made to Petey where he hit the post was unreal.

Hoglander is a gift from the gods. Such an exciting and energetic player

Biggest laugh was Eriksson coming off the bench to add some fresh legs to the almost 3 minute shift for Juolevi and Myers. He honestly looked like he was out the whole time....so bad.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Funny we've said several times at the end of Calgary games how goaltending was the difference. Could say the same thing again - expect the other way around. Saw the antsy Markstrom tonight who wants to venture out of his net all the time and try to do too much. Remember yelling "stay in your net" and "calm down" when Markstrom started over handling the puck and such. Think Calgary fans could be saying the same thing tonight.

Good

Holtby - might be the best goaltending the Canucks have seen all season. Just excellent.

Horvat - guy had purpose in this game. Set the tone early and was way more in the play. Some late trouble defensively but overall a strong game

Hoglander - nice to see him get rewarded with some points. One under-discussed talent he has his chasing down players as they are leaving their zone to create turnovers. Just short of getting a couple in this game which would have left the Canucks with 3 on 1 chances in the offensive zone. Not much left to say other than he is a hell of player.

Benn - another player out to prove something. Great start and good puck movement throughout.

Myers - thought he had very strong game bringing the puck out of the zone and eliminating people around the net. Never saw him take a step wrong in this game. Gradually working better with Joulevi

Miller - tremendous goal and lot of bull work in the offensive zone. You like to see less misdirected passes but he was a definite positive in this game

Schmidt - him and Edler are gradually becoming a fairly good duo. Bit of two steps forward, one step back process but finally getting to work off each other especially in exchanging checks around the net. Nice that Schmidt got a goal and is looking better in jumping up for chances

Boeser - not just the points here either. Had lot of jump on the forecheck and was pushing the play all game. One of the best overall games Boeser has played since his rookie year.

Eriksson - got to say it. Thought he skated well, was good in coverage and made smart plays with the puck all game. This is the best you can expect out of this player

Pearson - solid two way game.

Others

Joulevi - depends on the standard you want to use. If you base it on expectations and his rookie status this was good. If you base it on bona fide NHL defenseman criteria, he was adequate. There were too many shifts when he got bottled up in his zone and couldn't make the play to get the pressure off (other than ice). This was very true when he got caught out with 3rd and 4th lines. (lot of rope a dope here) But what you had to like was his push back and is willingness to fight hard to stay in the play. There were also times when he got much better pressure on the puck carriers in his zone. Still needs a step or two to buy himself more time to make plays but these types of games give you hope that he can mature into an NHL player.

Gaudette - seems to play a sort of Rover position and you are just as likely to find him on his off wing as on his wing. Thought he played better and hounded the play better in the offensive zone. Looks close to maybe breaking out and scoring a few goals.

Pettersson - again down on the ice too much. Getting forced into a game where he seems have to be on defense too much. Needs to modify his game where he is not on the body so much and tied up with other players so much. Guys like Kane, Gaudreau and Backstrom have learned to pick their spots and while playing some defense are mainly looking for attacking opportunities and then using their offensive abilities to rack up points. It is all well and good to be this two way player but you can't let that effect your offensive game.

Good effort by the team and really no passengers.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
RE: Juolevi

2021-02-18 (2).png

So those were Juolevi's most frequent linemates and you can see that D pairing played almost entirely with the bottom 6, which took a beating when they were on the ice together. I thought Sutter's line had a good game on the offensive side of the ice, lord knows how Gaudette hasn't scored any goals against the Flames, he had 4 chances in close this game alone. But on the defensive side Gaudette and Roussel have not been great imo.

Zone starts were even over all but the faceoff percentage when they were on the ice was 28%. I actually think Myers has been much better since being paired with Juolevi upon his return, but jesus that's a hill to climb when these are you're most frequent linemates. This was their most frequent opposition:
2021-02-18 (4).png

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Aside from the deserving win tonight, there were a number of consistent positives going forward:
- Boeser, Hog, OJ
- Holtby can be cool

But most important, the guys have demolished the mental block surrounding Marky. Sure, he could stone them the next time they meet, but the guys now know what they CAN do against him, and that is a big deal for the future.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
2-2 keeps us afloat.

Calgary has major issues with scoring and energy on the forecheck and creating space and just overall a dull f***ing team to watch.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last 5 games we have deserved all 5 honestly.
Team has turned it around for sure, 5 out of 8 points is a good trip

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Eh, we look like a bubble team at best. Not in the same tier as the best teams in the division (Montreal, Toronto) but able to beat the bad teams and compete with the middling teams.

It'll be interesting to see how we fare against Winnipeg. I haven't looked into the math, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Canucks need to win something like 70% of the games against Winnipeg/Ottawa/Calgary/Edmonton to make the playoffs (assuming they keep getting crushed by Montreal/Toronto).

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Last 5 games we have deserved all 5 honestly.
Team has turned it around for sure, 5 out of 8 points is a good trip

They're going to need more than that to really get back in it. It's possible as all games are against division rivals so winning a two game set in regulation gives them a 4 point swing on a team for example but they've left themselves little room for error. One more 4-5 game slump and they're likely out of the hunt.

I don't think there's too much between VAN, EDM, CAL and WIN so maybe they can sneak in 3rd or 4th if they win the majority of the remaining games against those teams. I also don't think TOR is as good as their record suggests so they could possibly pick up a few points form them going forward.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In the first 15 games the Canucks were just flat out lousy..( with the exception of the Sens), they were easy pickings for anybody.
I think its still too early to say what this team is /can be this season..I think they have more to give.
They're looking more like the team we saw in the playoffs lately, than the fragile, fragmented group we saw in the first 15.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Juolevi has been significantly better than Anything I expected this year.
His skating is improving, If only he can work on his turning and edges, he could be a real decent player

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
lotto line back on top. boeser leading the charge. holtby was playing specutacular. OJ very good. physical and blocking shots. good to see benn rewarded with a goal. hes been playing great. I'd like to see jayce hawkerluk get in a game or two. replace roussel.. 4th line was meh.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Juolevi has been significantly better than Anything I expected this year.
His skating is improving, If only he can work on his turning and edges, he could be a real decent player

maybe hes been watching games from the pressbox when he was scratched and worked on his skating? yes his pivoting/turning still needs improvement because he will always 100 percent get blown by.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
I actually had no clue OJ is that physical, He actually does remind me a little bit of Ohlund, I don't mind that comparison at all

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
I actually had no clue OJ is that physical, He actually does remind me a little bit of Ohlund, I don't mind that comparison at all
I remember Utica coaches said he played surprisingly “heavy”,
and I thought he demonstrated that very clearly this last few games.

Juolevi and hogs are great rookies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
maybe hes been watching games from the pressbox when he was scratched and worked on his skating? yes his pivoting/turning still needs improvement because he will always 100 percent get blown by.
Wrong.
Hughes is the probably one of the best natural skaters in the league..did you miss Mangiapane blowing past him...All D men have their moments, but OJ has not looked out of place at all since he's been reactivated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad