Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 5-1 (Benn, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Boeser)

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
@orcatown Comparing Pettersson's defensive game to guys like Gaudreau and Kane doesn't feel right. They are offensive wingers that aren't exactly known for their defensive game, while Pettersson is at center. To give Petey more offensive opportunities he has to be moved to wing and Miller takes the more defensive responsibilities. With how much Miller is hot dogging plays that's probably not a good idea.

Petey doesn't have that many points this season and especially not goals. When he's open for his shot, players usually turn the play to the left side instead. Hughes often chooses to shoot it himself when he's on the point instead of setting up Petey, which is a shame, since Petey has a much better shot than Hughes and the team needs Petey to start scoring.

And when Petey finally gets a shot off, it's more often than not a crossbar or post hit.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
@orcatown Comparing Pettersson's defensive game to guys like Gaudreau and Kane doesn't feel right. They are offensive wingers that aren't exactly known for their defensive game, while Pettersson is at center. To give Petey more offensive opportunities he has to be moved to wing and Miller takes the more defensive responsibilities. With how much Miller is hot dogging plays that's probably not a good idea.

Petey doesn't have that many points this season and especially not goals. When he's open for his shot, players usually turn the play to the left side instead. Hughes often chooses to shoot it himself when he's on the point instead of setting up Petey, which is a shame, since Petey has a much better shot than Hughes and the team needs Petey to start scoring.

And when Petey finally gets a shot off, it's more often than not a crossbar or post hit.
I dont know what kinda hot dogs you eat in Sweden but hot dogs in NA america are good and hot dogging is usually used in a positive context although to indicate someone being a show off.

Like Hoglander is hot dogging when he goes for a lacrosse type goal.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Don't get too far ahead of yourselves. Let's see if the Canucks can do this against another team as well.

Still, promising. Playoffs are likely out of reach but very happy with Hog's play.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is the implied OJ > Tkachuk...at least for 4 games.
Haha..maybe for these few games..OJ's going to have to up his game a bit in the future to match MT.

Speaking of Tkachuk, he's a shell of himself from what he was last season?..On one shift in the 3rd tonight , he was trying to punch any Canuck within a 3 foot radius..just..odd.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I dont know what kinda hot dogs you eat in Sweden but hot dogs in NA america are good and hot dogging is usually used in a positive context although to indicate someone being a show off.

Like Hoglander is hot dogging when he goes for a lacrosse type goal.
Yes, it came to my mind I used the term wrong, I checked it up and so I did. Miller defensively looks like the "controller disconnected" theme too many times and doesn't feel reliable as a center.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Peteys gone full bambi mode. Falling down all the time. Can't really pass or take a pass, doesn't shoot, when he does he can't hit the net, nothing like bubble EP.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I lost internet right when Horvat scored the second goal (and therefore lost my nhltv). Good to see they kept up the effort.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
JT Miller’s goal after Mangiapane scored stole all Calgary’s jam. I can’t say I wasn’t worried up to that point.

Markstrom is definitely feeling like he has to do it all.

That charge on Horvat’s goal put them behind the 8 ball.

Nice to see Vancouver can play boring structured hockey but it doesn’t seem to last long.

Reactions: Luckylarry

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Beauty payoff for their 5 game rebuild and shift in committment and work rate.

Beauty game.

Gave em next to nothing. Holtby was there when we did. Puck bounced right for us in the dzone.

Felt good with every player on the ice...no one gave me the eebee jeebees with their play. But Gaudette would be the 12th forward. He could sit when we need a change.

Now keep it rolling.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I heard in an interview that the Flames have the quietest dressing room in the League and Markstrom and Tanev were supposed to change the environment. If the players are naturally reserved it can probably just aggravate this issue if dominant personalities are introduced.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Another solid effort last night. Some rough moments as defensive structure waned from time to time (4th line generally and a couple shifts with the Horvat line), which was concerning, but over all, held it together and were full value for the win.

Some promising signs from:
> Juolevi - not his best outing, but played more minutes than ever. Some chemistry with Myers probably because he plays a simple game. Really liked his big hit on Valimaki and his positioning to stave off Dube. Could be a bottom pairing guy regular by the end of the year with potential upside provided his skating agility can improve.
> Miller - this player is starting to re-discover his mojo. Laser beam shot on the 3-1 goal, instrumental on the 4-1 effort with the tip/steal to maintain possession. Hoping he can build off of that and regain his form from last season.
> Gaudette - playing more a swashbuckling style and has the linemates that allow him to do that. Not sure he's a long term fit with this team, but would not be surprised to see him pot a few soon.
> Benn - played really well and helped stablize QH's game. His 1-0 goal was the opposite of a goal scorers goal, but they all count in the end.
> Virtanen - about as well as you can expect him to play. Wanted the puck and used his plus skating to maintain possession. Hoping teams are paying attention and he can be dealt for a decent return.
> Boeser - last, but not least. I don't think he had a bad shift all game. Involved on defense and offense. 5-1 goal was reminiscent of rookie Boeser who was money in the slot. Not sure his shot has the same velocity as back then, but his confidence is sky high and plays a much more complete game nowadays.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’m pretty happy with Juolevi showing any progress at all - but comparing him to Ohlund is an exercise in setting oneself up for disappointment, IMO.

I do think Juolevi is showing he has a future with this team and in the league. Not too long ago, that seemed far fetched. And yeah, obviously you’d hope for more with a 5th overall pick, but at the moment, I’m pleased he’s legitimizing himself as an NHL player.

But man, oh man - I’m sure he’ll be glad to see shifts with a unit other than our fourth line. It’s impressive that he stood out positively at all with how badly that unit got worked.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m pretty happy with Juolevi showing any progress at all - but comparing him to Ohlund is an exercise in setting oneself up for disappointment, IMO.

I do think Juolevi is showing he has a future with this team and in the league. Not too long ago, that seemed far fetched. And yeah, obviously you’d hope for more with a 5th overall pick, but at the moment, I’m pleased he’s legitimizing himself as an NHL player.

But man, oh man - I’m sure he’ll be glad to see shifts with a unit other than our fourth line. It’s impressive that he stood out positively at all with how badly that unit got worked.
OJ has very good offensive instincts. He pressures the puck in the o zone and neutral zones in ways that can create turnovers. After Hughes, OJ is our most skilled D man too. I’d like to see him regularly on PP 2 with Schmidt.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
JT Miller’s goal after Mangiapane scored stole all Calgary’s jam. I can’t say I wasn’t worried up to that point.

Markstrom is definitely feeling like he has to do it all.

That charge on Horvat’s goal put them behind the 8 ball.

Nice to see Vancouver can play boring structured hockey but it doesn’t seem to last long.
That and Calgary kind of stinks.

VanCanFanEDM

Mar 22, 2004
Edmonton
agreed. only been 3 games, but looks like a decent NHL defensman.... bottom pairing guy that can maybe play on 2nd pairing for some spot duty. Not a #5 overall, but cut our losses and get a defensman out of him

I am a little more optimistic then that... Imagine the hype if he was drafted two years ago and playing this well... He is still less then 20 nhl games played, I think he will only keep getting better and better...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad