Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 5-1 (Benn, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Boeser)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Looks like Marky may be cracking under the fatigue. Flames are running him into the ground.

Happy with the boys tonight, even Jake had some noticeable shifts. Playoffs are still a long shot, but let's see if we can get consistent play like this today
He's started 14/16 games so far. He's best when on a 2/3 pace, so in this 56 games season, you'd expect a 38/18 games split between him and Riitich. But, Riitich has started only 2/16 games so far, but granted Calgary hasn't had really any back to backs yet.

Based on pace, the backup should have started 5 games at this point in the season.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I think they deserved better. Outplayed the Leafs in a big way for the first 40 minutes and they definitely outplayed the Flames overall in these last four games.

Yes but last year we failed to see 60 minute efforts, let alone strings of complete game efforts. Which is my point - we're back to square one but with probably a worse team.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Great game. Play was more even than the score indicated but the Canucks had more dangerous chances. Biggest difference is that they buried it with quick and accurate shots rather than holding onto pucks too long.

I don't remember the Flames getting as many quality chances, quite a few pucks were in too close and into Holtby's pad. But Holtby also made a few great stops particularly the one off Lucic in the 2nd.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Mediocrity here we come!
tenor.gif

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
So I haven’t been following the Canucks this season. Didn’t even know the season started. :cool: So we are pretty good this season? Holtby is proving to be an upgrade over Markstrom? :sarcasm:

Reactions: JenniferH

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Lets see if we can actually turn around this season. Our top players starting to dominate.

Yeeeeah buddy, about time. Lotto line in particular were dangerous, with shades of last year.

I wouldn’t rule out the going on a bit of a win streak, obviously it’ll depend on which team shows up.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Olli was probably thrilled to be out there with them. He finally got to play more than 15 minutes because they sucked so bad.
yes he got about 3 1/2 minutes in one shift taking shots like vintage Ali

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Olli laying the body tonight as well. Like to see that as opposed to the two cross-check penalties Myers seems to take each game.

Reactions: Indiana

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Looks like Marky may be cracking under the fatigue. Flames are running him into the ground.

Happy with the boys tonight, even Jake had some noticeable shifts. Playoffs are still a long shot, but let's see if we can get consistent play like this today

I dont think hes 'cracking'. He made a few mad decisions..

Reactions: DS7

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Hopefully hoglander can figure out how to pk over the next couple years. He has that motte work ethic. Could be a very useful multi tool player. We need guys like him that actually contribute offensively while being able to pk.
Why not just leave him on the ice for the full 60?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
On to the next series. Still need to win against Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Not really....we arent malking the playoffs. Still need to basically go 22-13-1 or something like that....not going to happen. But enjoy whatever wins we do get....move on to next year. 2023 should be a better year.

Reactions: Indiana

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Noticed our forwards have been coming back deeper in our own end recently which has been helping with breakouts. Good to see the coaching staff make adjustments after a while.

Also, Gaudette needs more minutes in the top 6 instead of being shackled with Sutter. He's been getting lots of chances and is primed for a breakout any moment now.

Yikes. The advanced stats for that 4th line.
200.gif

The Myers/Juolevi pairing not great either but their long shifts in the D zone were almost always when they were on the ice with that 4th line.

Yep, just looked at Natural Stat Trick. That 4th line was... tragic. Especially Eriksson who has been straight up unplayable.

I do think Virtanen is better than his current numbers indicate - he's generally been decent in his relative shot shares throughout his career.

Seriously, get MacEwen in there over Loui already.

Probably explains why he looked off tonight from Mossey's observations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad