Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Flames - 5-1 (Benn, Horvat, Miller, Schmidt, Boeser)

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
They haven't advanced past the first round in the postseason in five years (missing the postseason for 2 out of those 5 years). Not horrible but we beat a mediocre team the other night (of which we are one also).
The Flames only now smell a little less than us because they have Marky.

Reactions: Hit the post

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I heard in an interview that the Flames have the quietest dressing room in the League and Markstrom and Tanev were supposed to change the environment. If the players are naturally reserved it can probably just aggravate this issue if dominant personalities are introduced.
Tanev is not a dominant personality lol, Marky seems more like a fiery competitor though

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
It is interesting to note the entire meltdown happening in Calgary for losing to a team like the Canucks.

This says something about both the Canucks and the Flames.

Reactions: I am toxic

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It is interesting to note the entire meltdown happening in Calgary for losing to a team like the Canucks.

This says something about both the Canucks and the Flames.
Whats happening there is precisely what happens here ..'fire the coach, ..fire the GM' ..we need a rebuild',etc

The mistake that a lot of Calgary fans made, was that they thought they were going to get the Canuck team that they beat (without breaking a sweat) at the beginning of the season

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Whats happening there is precisely what happens here ..'fire the coach, ..fire the GM' ..we need a rebuild',etc

The mistake that a lot of Calgary fans made, was that they thought they were going to get the Canuck team that they beat (without breaking a sweat) at the beginning of the season
Such a shame that fanbases with questionable management do in fact question their organization’s leadership

Don’t they know that every team is guaranteed a cup

.. oh wait it makes perfect sense to question management

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Eriksson - got to say it. Thought he skated well, was good in coverage and made smart plays with the puck all game. This is the best you can expect out of this player

But, but that contract! But Benning!

All kidding aside I agree with you, he was unspectacular but defensively solid. Others here seem to want to parse every second of his every shift looking for things to complain about. We seem to win more with him in the lineup. So far...

Reactions: Indiana

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
But, but that contract! But Benning!

All kidding aside I agree with you, he was unspectacular but defensively solid. Others here seem to want to parse every second of his every shift looking for things to complain about. We seem to win more with him in the lineup. So far...
Omg dude you and your Eriksson, Gagner and Willie D infatuation is weird.

Nobody has actually parsed his shifts. You’re making up stuff to argue against.

The weakest link on that line was the youngest guy but let’s not pretend that line getting owned was the reason the team won.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

They do need a rebuild and their GM should be fired. They went all in with their UFA signings this summer on winning a cup in the next couple years with a core that can't win a cup in the next couple years guaranteeing prolonged mediocrity/perpetual bubble team.

I'm not complaining.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
They do need a rebuild and their GM should be fired. They went all in with their UFA signings this summer on winning a cup in the next couple years with a core that can't win a cup in the next couple years guaranteeing prolonged mediocrity/perpetual bubble team.

I'm not complaining.
Me neither..Even their own fans are saying that if it wasnt for Markstrom this season, they would be in trouble.

Trelivings biggest disasters have been.. not having stable goaltending (he has that now)..Trading a 1st (which turned out to be Noah Dobson) and 2nd for Hamonic...and having a coaching carousel.

I've always thought they were thin down the middle, especially with Monahan (who does not drive the play)..Contrast that with EP and Horvat..?

I dont know how they could rebuild at this stage though?..their key players are in their prime.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Me neither..Even their own fans are saying that if it wasnt for Markstrom this season, they would be in trouble.

Trelivings biggest disasters have been.. not having stable goaltending (he has that now)..Trading a 1st (which turned out to be Noah Dobson) and 2nd for Hamonic...and having a coaching carousel.

I've always thought they were thin down the middle, especially with Monahan (who does not drive the play)..Contrast that with EP and Horvat..?

I dont know how they could rebuild at this stage though?..their key players are in their prime.
By trading their key players in their prime at peak value instead of continuing along the treadmill?

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Joulevi - depends on the standard you want to use. If you base it on expectations and his rookie status this was good. If you base it on bona fide NHL defenseman criteria, he was adequate. There were too many shifts when he got bottled up in his zone and couldn't make the play to get the pressure off (other than ice). This was very true when he got caught out with 3rd and 4th lines. (lot of rope a dope here) But what you had to like was his push back and is willingness to fight hard to stay in the play. There were also times when he got much better pressure on the puck carriers in his zone. Still needs a step or two to buy himself more time to make plays but these types of games give you hope that he can mature into an NHL player.
Pettersson - again down on the ice too much. Getting forced into a game where he seems have to be on defense too much. Needs to modify his game where he is not on the body so much and tied up with other players so much. Guys like Kane, Gaudreau and Backstrom have learned to pick their spots and while playing some defense are mainly looking for attacking opportunities and then using their offensive abilities to rack up points. It is all well and good to be this two way player but you can't let that effect your offensive game.

Thanks! Always wait to read your write ups on the games, @orcatown

Juolevi - At this point, I would consider that a sizeable win. Hopefully, he'll even improve as he gets more reps.

Pettersson - Probably playing with Miller and Brock, he needs to fall back as the defensive minded guy on the line too. Wonder what he could do playing with other 2 way players?

Reactions: Ginger Papa

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Markstrom prevents a rebuild, they're forced into competing for at least this year and the next year. The earliest reasonable rebuild is when Gaudreau walks and Giordano retires, then they can blow it up without poor optics.

To rebuild now they'd have to trade Markstrom and that's not a good look. It's a blown opportunity though as their dcore is the perfect age right now to make it out of a 3 year rebuild and still be competitive if they'd done it this summer, and Gaudreau/Monahan would have netted blue chip prospects and 1sts in summer speeding up the rebuild.

Delaying the rebuild by 2-3 years like they did means that when they do blow it up their core will come out of the rebuild in their late 20's with UFA sized contracts.

Could have traded Gaudreau and Monahan in summer and refocused the timeline around Tkachuk and their young dcore, being competitive again after only a few years if the trades/picks land well. Now they have to try and win a trade for a 1C to have a shot. If they fail, they have an extremely awkward rebuilding timing.

They've set themselves up for a long period of perpetual mediocrity that will be hard to break out of anytime soon.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
By trading their key players in their prime at peak value instead of continuing along the treadmill?
I would be very surprised if the Flames had a fire sale, and traded off Johnny Hockey and Monahan for futures..I just dont see that happening.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Markstrom prevents a rebuild, they're forced into competing for at least this year and the next year. The earliest reasonable rebuild is when Gaudreau walks and Giordano retires, then they can blow it up without poor optics.

To rebuild now they'd have to trade Markstrom and that's not a good look. It's a blown opportunity though as their dcore is the perfect age right now to make it out of a 3 year rebuild and still be competitive if they'd done it this summer, and Gaudreau/Monahan would have netted blue chip prospects and 1sts in summer speeding up the rebuild.

Delaying the rebuild by 2-3 years like they did means that when they do blow it up their core will come out of the rebuild in their late 20's with UFA sized contracts.

Could have traded Gaudreau and Monahan in summer and refocused the timeline around Tkachuk and their young dcore, being competitive again after only a few years if the trades/picks land well. Now they have to try and win a trade for a 1C to have a shot. If they fail, they have an extremely awkward rebuilding timing.

They've set themselves up for a long period of perpetual mediocrity that will be hard to break out of anytime soon.
Good. They look like a crappy mediocre team. Their core should be right in their prime winning years too. Hate ‘em, and happy to watch them wallow in mediocrity.
They do have Marky though, so (if he gets hot) a playoff run is definitely possible.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lol how the hell can anyone compare Juolevi to Ohlund.

I get people want to compare players to other players but come on.
Well, to be fair both OJ and Ohlund shoot left.
And they both tie their own skates.
Scandinavian.
See! Lots of similarities. :thumbu:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Good. They look like a crappy mediocre team. Their core should be right in their prime winning years too. Hate ‘em, and happy to watch them wallow in mediocrity.
They do have Marky though, so (if he gets hot) a playoff run is definitely possible.

Having 9 games against Ottawa helps too. My prediction is they squeak into the playoffs, then get embarrassed in the first round.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Having 9 games against Ottawa helps too. My prediction is they squeak into the playoffs, then get embarrassed in the first round.
After watching the Flames play I don’t know if they are a playoff team. I thought with getting Marky they for sure would be, and could even go on a playoff run. But something looks not right with them.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

I thank my lucky stars that Marky decided not to sign with Edmonton. They would probably still lose to a Vegas or Tampa, but he would give them a fighting chance every game along with the 2 best players in the world upfront.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks! Always wait to read your write ups on the games, @orcatown

Juolevi - At this point, I would consider that a sizeable win. Hopefully, he'll even improve as he gets more reps.

Pettersson - Probably playing with Miller and Brock, he needs to fall back as the defensive minded guy on the line too. Wonder what he could do playing with other 2 way players?

If we ever acquire a solid #3 center I would love to see a Petterson-Horvat-Hoglander line tried at times. Get the best playmaker on the team with the player with the best shot. Miller- #3 center-Boeser as our second line

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If we ever acquire a solid #3 center I would love to see a Petterson-Horvat-Hoglander line tried at times. Get the best playmaker on the team with the player with the best shot. Miller- #3 center-Boeser as our second line

In this scenario, I would try Miller as 2nd line C and have Podz/Pearson as the other winger maybe.

We need the solid #3 centre to lead our bottom 6 of awfulness.

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
In this scenario, I would try Miller as 2nd line C and have Podz/Pearson as the other winger maybe.

We need the solid #3 centre to lead our bottom 6 of awfulness.
I think Miller is to sloppy and lacking in poise to play the center positionally for long. My scenario was more in the thinking of high stress-high leverage situations against elite level competition where our bottom 6 gets benched. Essentially the playoffs

Reactions: supercanuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad