Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Avs - 4-2 (Kuzmenko x2, Boeser, Miller)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They asked his agent to facilitate a trade.

The media saying they want to dump salary.

They cannot create cap space unless they pay to dump it.

They ruined leverage that they had a year ago. The team is in a worse position.

It will take miracles to do the things you want to do.

If they retain on Boeser down to $5 million I don't think they should have any trouble moving him. Unfortunately it sounds like they refuse to retain ... and yes, it will take a miracle if you're locked into getting assets back and not retaining.

Should the team be trading Elias Pettersson right now?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
but the problem is we don’t have anything in the system coming up, we really can’t afford to be moving picks out to offload players. It’s not like we only need to move one guy out… we need to move multiple players out. Even if we did do that, the cap space goes to re-signing players and a lot of our big issues will still be present with fewer picks to help out the farm for the future. This team is absolutely f***ed and completely boxed in. Trading away picks to offload players when the team has so many holes and issues and nothing in the system is crazy, imo.

So then you support trading Pettersson at the trade deadline?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If they retain on Boeser down to $5 million I don't think they should have any trouble moving him. Unfortunately it sounds like they refuse to retain ... and yes, it will take a miracle if you're locked into getting assets back and not retaining.

Should the team be trading Elias Pettersson right now?
If he doesn’t accept a contract extension on July 1, you look at it. You don’t let him walk his way to taking the QO to free agency.

Reactions: quat and Zippgunn

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Trading picks away to compete now is what got us into this mess. Being cap idiots is what screwed up our cap space. I don’t see how trading more picks away to use to re-sign player so we can compete now around this failed group is the way forward. We have nothing in the system and so many holes on this poorly constructed team. There comes a team when you need to hit the rest button.

Reactions: quat and Nucker101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Buffalo can't afford to lose Eichel and if they do they need to trade Dahlin.

Dahlin was 21 when they traded Eichel. Pettersson is turning 25 this year and can basically force his way to UFA next summer.

Pettersson has already made it very clear he wants out if this team isn't winning. Our odds of retaining him are zilch if we're trading Kuzmenko/Horvat and hurtling into another tank. If you want to trade those guys, you'd better be on board with selling Pettersson, because that's what it means.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Trading picks away to compete now is what got us into this mess. Being cap idiots is what screwed up our cap space. I don’t see how trading more picks away to use to re-sign player so we can compete now around this failed group is the way forward. We have nothing in the system and so many holes on this poorly constructed team. There comes a team when you need to hit the rest button.

Overpaying for bad players is what got us into this mess, not retaining the team's best players.

Reactions: me2 and sting101

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So then you support trading Pettersson at the trade deadline?

I never said that? That’s not the player I’m looking to move or Hughes, at this point.

how would you fix this team then? We don’t have much assets, we don’t have cap room, there’s nothing in the system that will save us. How are you going to move players out so we can re-sign players well fixing up our D and filling out the line up and do that in a short enough time to catch this cores window.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Overpaying for bad players is what got us into this mess, not retaining the team's best players.

so you’re ok with the Miller re-signing? He’s one of our best players from last season.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Dahlin was 21 when they traded Eichel. Pettersson is turning 25 this year and can basically force his way to UFA next summer.

Pettersson has already made it very clear he wants out if this team isn't winning. Our odds of retaining him are zilch if we're trading Kuzmenko/Horvat and hurtling into another tank. If you want to trade those guys, you'd better be on board with selling Pettersson, because that's what it means.

Dahlin and Pettersson joined the NHL at the same time. There's only a one-season difference in guaranteed team control seasons between Dahlin at the time of the Eichel trade and Pettersson now.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Petey is 3rd In the league in ES points. If only he could figure the PP out he’d be contending for the Art Ross.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Random observation but Schenn is hesitant as hell when he’s not paired with Hughes. After he got moved back, he started hitting and confidently deferring to Hughes again. Obviously credit to Hughes but Schenn has looked noticeably more passive beside anyone not named Hughes

Reactions: bh53 and MS

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Petey is 3rd In the league in ES points. If only he could figure the PP out he’d be contending for the Art Ross.
My guess is he’s injured because I don’t understand how the shot would have fallen off that much on the PP.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I never said that? That’s not the player I’m looking to move or Hughes, at this point.

how would you fix this team then? We don’t have much assets, we don’t have cap room, there’s nothing in the system that will save us. How are you going to move players out so we can re-sign players well fixing up our D and filling out the line up and do that in a short enough time to catch this core groups window.

If you're trading Kuzmenko/Horvat now, this team isn't competing while we have team control on Pettersson and he'll be forcing his way out at the earliest opportunity.

'Sell Kuzmenko and Horvat for magic beans!' and 'Pettersson is amazing and we need to keep him!' are not mutually compatible opinions. If you sell those guys, Pettersson is gonzo and if Pettersson is gonzo we should be trading him now to maximize his value.

They need to move multiple contracts and re-invest that money better, they'll need to move picks to do it, and they need to fire their lame-duck coach and get a quality systems coach in place. And the goaltending needs to recover.

And again, this team would be a playoff team right now if we were receiving the level of goaltending we received in literally any/every year that Benning was GM, and that was expected going into the year. Demko's struggles have magnified everything else and made things seem much worse than they actually are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad