Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Avs - 4-2 (Kuzmenko x2, Boeser, Miller)

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well we'll either get the same sad sack effort or an inexplicably dominant performance against a team we have no business beating. That's the Canuck way. Colorado being a walking wounded clinic makes the outcome even muddier.

Looks like we got the latter. Always nice to see them win, but this is how they keep pulling us in with false hope. I did watch from the run of goals so at least I didn't waste my time.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Thinking you move forward by trading 2 of your best 5 players for crappy low-percentage futures packages is the most backward thing in the entire world.

Things change in this league very quickly. Who had Dallas/NJ/Carolina as current powerhouses 2-3 years ago?

Dallas is a funny example, because they'd suck if not for one of the best draft hauls of all-time in 2017 (which very few could've anticipated 3 years ago), they'd likely be much better if they weren't hamstrung by the Seguin/Benn contracts, and seem to have learned from that mistake by moving on from vets like Radulov and Klingberg rather than doubling down on their current success. Oh, and they did that after fluking to the bubble Cup Finals. They were lucky enough to have a GM who realized that wasn't a sustainable plan.

It's funny how last year we all wanted Braden Schneider for Miller, and that was obviously a non-starter for NYR - but had the Canucks just kept the pick traded for Miller in the first place, we almost certainly would have had a shot at Schneider, who went one pick before Mukhamadullin to NJ. And rather than a potential albatross contract and no team success to show for it, we'd now have a young RHD to pair with Hughes for the next 10+ years, currently on his ELC.

Things do change very quickly - usually due to a U23 guy exploding into a core/star player. If we could ever trade a single player for a 1st round pick rather than trading them away, maybe we have Dylan Guenther and Wyatt Johnston from the 2021 draft as clear heirs to Kuzmenko and Horvat, and with their contributions, we aren't even looking to trade those two because we're in a playoff spot.

This season doesn't matter. Horvat is not a 50 goal scorer. If he stays in Vancouver, I'd confidently bet he doesn't put up 100 goals in the next three seasons.

Let's go to an extreme example - imagine Boston in 2016, one year removed from a Cup Final, with a core of Patrice Bergeron (30), Brad Marchand (27), David Krejci (29), Torey Krug (24) and Tuukka Rask (28) decides, hey, we're about to miss the playoffs so we need to trade our first (Charlie MacAvoy) for help to keep moving in a forward direction! Sure they have David Pastrnak (19) in the wings, but he could be years away from being anything - might as well also do whatever is necessary to keep 2nd leading scorer Loui Eriksson (30), especially after trading core player Milan Lucic away the year before.

The right target in a Horvat trade should not be a low percentage magic bean. It should be a contributing young roster player or a high pedigree D+1 / D+2 prospect tracking well. That should be the price for a player tracking for 50 goals this season. And on the Canucks end, unfortunately they likely need to move on from Horvat as a price to pay for the mistake of walking him straight to UFA rather than locking him up for an extra couple years (or re-signing him on July 1 before Miller), and for the absolute idiocy of not having blue-chip prospects added to the system in 2020 or 2021 (and potentially blowing the 2022 pick) when the team clearly needed to be further built.

Last edited:

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Looks like we got the latter. Always nice to see them win, but this is how they keep pulling us in with false hope. I did watch from the run of goals so at least I didn't waste my time.
False hope indeed. I fully expect to hear interviews where players say they aren’t thinking about next season, the draft, contracts, or outside voices.
“We’re focused on winning, and the guys in this room have a lot of pride.”
The season will end with the Canucks three points out of a playoff spot and drafting 15th. Aquilini will feel vindicated and absolutely sure the team is just one free agent away.
Same as it ever was.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
It's difficult to say which defensemen they'll be able to acquire because every team's situation changes after the season is over. Last year we saw Alex Romanov, John Marino, Mike Matheson, Mackenzie Weegar, and Nils Lundqvist get traded. The year before we saw OEL (lol), Nate Schmidt, and whoever else get dealt.

But if you need to make 7 million in space to help you re-sign Horvat and Kuzmenko, you do it. Especially when OEL and Myers are playing replacement level hockey.
Yeah but only God can make the Myers and OEL trades happen before July 1st.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Kuzmenko is fun to watch man. I'm worried the longer it takes to get an extension going the less likely hood that he will be retained.

I' not sure how the team moves out a contract like Myers but if they can move Boeser to keep Bo and Kuzy next season and finding a cheaper wing option to try and replacement Boeser's production that seems reasonable.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Thinking you move forward by trading 2 of your best 5 players for crappy low-percentage futures packages is the most backward thing in the entire world.

Things change in this league very quickly. Who had Dallas/NJ/Carolina as current powerhouses 2-3 years ago?

The problem with this team isn't the core players. And you aren't moving forward by moving any of Horvat/Kuzmenko/Pettersson/Hughes. Or Demko, assuming he can return to form.
Your entire position is based on this being a good team. They have had years, season's to show what they are. Teams have rebuilt and retooled then passed them as they stagnated here. Pettersson will be 25 yrs old next season his 7th year since he was drafted. SEVEN YEARS!

I did have NJD and Carolina as powerhouses, Buffalo too. Dallas is a mild surprise but I still had them ahead of the Canucks. Honestly.
You don't fix something that isn't working by wrecking the things that are working.

If your car has a flat tire, you aren't going to solve the problem by taking the engine out.
Yes but you don't build a skyscraper on a mud foundation either. Sometimes a tire needs to be replaced. Tires like this team get worn out.
This team is just head scratching, how the f*** do u go 2-0 against Avs and such a positive record vs Pacific and end up with a losing record?
They seem to have this team's number, but the Avalanche might just be suffering from the huge number of injuries to core players and a playoff hangover. They are still ahead of the Canucks even though they had most of their core players missing games.
Another weird game, 12 penalties called. Nice to win but it changed nothing in the standings. A must win to stay 8 points out of a playoff spot.
Kuzmenko is fun to watch man. I'm worried the longer it takes to get an extension going the less likely hood that he will be retained.

I' not sure how the team moves out a contract like Myers but if they can move Boeser to keep Bo and Kuzy next season and finding a cheaper wing option to try and replacement Boeser's production that seems reasonable.
Kuzmenko should get around 6 to 7 mil a year. That is where his numbers are trending. A strong player, solid.

Move out Myers and who plays? The problem is Myers is being asked to play above his level. He should be a 3/4 dman but this team is so bad he is a 1/2 and PK guy, too much. Sometimes it is the team and not the player. Sure him and OEL are over paid, but is that their fault or the GM's that offered up that money?

It was a win, something to take on the road. There is no way this is a "turn around moment". More of a blip.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
even if you could just disappear all the bad/meh contracts on the canucks for free (oel, boeser, myers, garland, pearson, stillman) and resign horvat, kuzmenko and schenn to reasonable deals i don't see how you get to a contender with this group. pettersson, kuzmenko, mikheyev, miller, horvat, hoglander, podkolzin, joshua, lazar, studnicka, lockwood at forward and hughes, schenn, bear, dermott, burroughs on d with about 25 million in cap is still a really rough place to be

Reactions: Nick Lang

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
even if you could just disappear all the bad/meh contracts on the canucks for free (oel, boeser, myers, garland, pearson, stillman) and resign horvat, kuzmenko and schenn to reasonable deals i don't see how you get to a contender with this group. pettersson, kuzmenko, mikheyev, miller, horvat, hoglander, podkolzin, joshua, lazar, studnicka, lockwood at forward and hughes, schenn, bear, dermott, burroughs on d with about 25 million in cap is still a really rough place to be

You could do it in that scenario because you will have money to plug some holes via UFA/other teams cap crunches/trading future to flesh out the roster.

But there's no magic wand to do that, so instead you will have a team that will likely spend assets to get out of bad contracts so that they can bring back a similar team but then not having assets to actually improve the team. It's a dead-end philosophy but one that seemingly some are clinging to out of stubbornness or something else and given JR & FA's track record one they will do here as well.

There is another way out that nobody wants to hear about which is you trade someone with extreme value like Hughes for multiple blue-chip, NHL ready pieces on cheaper contracts and then use that space to sign Horvat/Kuzmenko. Doubt that happens, though.

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Your entire position is based on this being a good team. They have had years, season's to show what they are. Teams have rebuilt and retooled then passed them as they stagnated here. Pettersson will be 25 yrs old next season his 7th year since he was drafted. SEVEN YEARS!

I did have NJD and Carolina as powerhouses, Buffalo too. Dallas is a mild surprise but I still had them ahead of the Canucks. Honestly.

Yes but you don't build a skyscraper on a mud foundation either. Sometimes a tire needs to be replaced. Tires like this team get worn out.

They seem to have this team's number, but the Avalanche might just be suffering from the huge number of injuries to core players and a playoff hangover. They are still ahead of the Canucks even though they had most of their core players missing games.

Another weird game, 12 penalties called. Nice to win but it changed nothing in the standings. A must win to stay 8 points out of a playoff spot.

Kuzmenko should get around 6 to 7 mil a year. That is where his numbers are trending. A strong player, solid.

Move out Myers and who plays? The problem is Myers is being asked to play above his level. He should be a 3/4 dman but this team is so bad he is a 1/2 and PK guy, too much. Sometimes it is the team and not the player. Sure him and OEL are over paid, but is that their fault or the GM's that offered up that money?

It was a win, something to take on the road. There is no way this is a "turn around moment". More of a blip.
Completely agree with your take on Myers. I actually really like him as a number 4 or 5 dman. Not at that price tag of course. But i think they have to do everything they can to retain Kuzy. He's found gold. I hope Mikheyev's commitment to Vancouver will help with the efforts to keep him around.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Completely agree with your take on Myers. I actually really like him as a number 4 or 5 dman. Not at that price tag of course. But i think they have to do everything they can to retain Kuzy. He's found gold. I hope Mikheyev's commitment to Vancouver will help with the efforts to keep him around.
Kuzmenko's agent knows this is probably a one contract hit. He will never surpass the numbers he is putting up. And there is his age.

IMO they will want a 5 or 6 year deal making more than Boeser. This would take him to 33 yrs old. So this is the big one. He may even get to the level of an 8 mil offer, he is almost a point a game player while adjusting to the NA game.

There is no real point to resigning him here, if the team was in a playoffs spot already and improving then maybe, the team would still be in a very small window and he would be aging, the team would be old real fast with lots of high paid 32+ year olds on the decline.

There is also the war, this could/might affect him even being able to come back.

Better to take the found gold and cash in now. Just to be on the safe side

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
17-18-3

5 gm segments:
0-3-2
2-3-0
2-2-1
3-2-0
3-2-0
3-2-0
3-2-0
1-2-0

10 gm segments:
2-6-2
5-4-1
6-4-0
4-4-0

5-5-0 in last 10

-------
7 game series theory...

0-5-2
4-2-1
4-3-0
4-3-0
4-3-0
1-2-0

-------
Wins - Reg Losses

VGK +15, Sea, +9, LA +8
Dal +12, Wpg +11, Min +9

Edm+4
Cgy +4
Col +4
Nas +3
StL +2
Van -1

Reactions: CanuckCity

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
For all the jokes about '1-2 pieces away lolol blueberries'..

A couple of secondary, good, but not amazing, players removed from the near undefeated champs roster, has them looking like ass and out of a playoff spot. They still have their main 3 guys..

Rosters are small enough, that upgrading Myers and Boeser could make a massive difference.

Reactions: MS and DL44

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Delia's style reminds of Jonathan Quick, what an unexpected performance.

He's been good, hopefully they give him a run here . I didn't even think he was a very good AHL goalie and I'm happy to be wrong here.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Delia's style reminds of Jonathan Quick, what an unexpected performance.
It is good..is it sustainable, or a mirage...?..During the pre season , he was leaky.

I think he has better rebound control than Martin does, and can swallow up those pucks... which is a big deal...

We have to hope that Demko returns to last years form eventually..clearly, he is way off of his game this season.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's nice to see this team have a bit of pride and actually respond when they've been collectively dragged through the mud by basically the entire national media over the past few weeks about how they're a bunch of slackers and wet napkins. That's about the minimum you'd expect from professional players.

Too bad it's once again too late because as soon as they get comfortable they'll revert to their crappy habits and become an inconsistent mess all over again. The core remains rotten even if they show-up every once and a while.

If you're still fooled by wins like this at this stage, I have little hope for you.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
For all the jokes about '1-2 pieces away lolol blueberries'..

A couple of secondary, good, but not amazing, players removed from the near undefeated champs roster, has them looking like ass and out of a playoff spot. They still have their main 3 guys..

Rosters are small enough, that upgrading Myers and Boeser could make a massive difference.
But they are only two players away!

Hedman in his youth and McDavid. That ought to do it. Then again maybe not, this is truly a bad bad team.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
It's nice to see this team have a bit of pride and actually respond when they've been collectively dragged through the mud by basically the entire national media over the past few weeks about how they're a bunch of slackers and wet napkins. That's about the minimum you'd expect from professional players.

Too bad it's once again too late because as soon as they get comfortable they'll revert to their crappy habits and become an inconsistent mess all over again. The core remains rotten even if they show-up every once and a while.

If you're still fooled by wins like this at this stage, I have little hope for you.
We, the fans might not all be fooled but Allvin seems to be really impressed with a player's points only, so he is probably adding a million or two to Kuzmenko's offer now. The only points Allvin seems to ignore are the one's the team has.

They have Colorado's number, a good record over the last few years.

Still it was game seven again. Almost totally healthy and playing like this.

The core IS a mess as far s winning, like they say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad