OT: Canucks.com Forums shutting Down

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
I'm not convinced. If you can say "National Energy Program" three times without throwing-up, then I'll admit you're not Ryan Strome.:sarcasm:
Said it once. gagged harder than Bettman does throating Arizona ownership to keep the Yotes in Arizona

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've relayed this anecdote a couple times but I wish I still had access to my DMs from back then (when I modded for a year) cause I remember getting a DM from the lead Mod who had been given an edict by whoever their boss was (likely just someone in the comms department) to not let negative discussions about ownership gain momentum.

That sounds about right.

It wasn't ownership criticism but I remember making some reasonably-worded criticism of Nonis or Cloutier or something and it became apparent very quickly that intelligent discussion and criticism was not welcome and the forum existed basically to promote cheerleadering.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That sounds about right.

It wasn't ownership criticism but I remember making some reasonably-worded criticism of Nonis or Cloutier or something and it became apparent very quickly that intelligent discussion and criticism was not welcome and the forum existed basically to promote cheerleadering.

Don't you see, it was full of only REAL FANS.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

This is absolutely brutal News for such a significant amount of Canucks fans that have been apart of the CDC Forums for Ages.

I understand some people on here don’t see eye to eye, but let’s turn the page!

I hope everybody welcomes each, and every one of them over here, give them a really respectful, kind, and gracious hello.

lets be good neighbours, Were all Canucks Fans! :thumbu:
Funny I never even knew about that forum so I guess I'm not going to miss it.

Reactions: sewellda

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Thing is, what's the actual cost of keeping that forum alive? Minimal (even if we're just talking about a medium sized 'mom & pop' operation).

NHL teams are letting the NHL.com central site take care of all the backend stuff now. This is just their way of offloading responsibility for the website.

There was a cost to having an admin, but mostly I think this is about squelching any dissent and going to a more 'American style' fandom. You either blindly support your team, or you disengage entirely until the team is good again. No constructive criticism allowed. You either buy the product, or bugger off. I'm sure the Benning era cemented this thinking, the forums were a problem.

They likely tolerated them because they used to appeal to the High School crowd, but the High School crowd is now in their 30's and the younger generation are using the worst social media apps conceivable. There's no need to cater to adults.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I've relayed this anecdote a couple times but I wish I still had access to my DMs from back then (when I modded for a year) cause I remember getting a DM from the lead Mod who had been given an edict by whoever their boss was (likely just someone in the comms department) to not let negative discussions about ownership gain momentum.

It seems like yesterday that I was replying to your posts in CDC back in 2007/2008. Best mod in CDC. My username was Sanford haha. We were young then now were old.

Reactions: timw33

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
As someone who vastly prefers forums to Discord, you’re actually completely right. Most video game companies are shutting down their official forums and moving everything to discord.
Nothing makes me feel quite so old as the fact that I just don't understand the Discord interface despite trying repeatedly.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
When I was in high school I had the most posts on that board.

You can argue quality but I had everyone beat on quantity.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Good riddance. Those mods were Homer's. Pretty blind to the truth and you would get banned if you had a differing opinion.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Yeah I’ve had an account there since 2006. Sucks to see it go. Used to be my place until I got bored and headed over to HF
Dude rock house on Canucks boards now with the new CDC crowd. It's gonna be lit 24/7 during the regular season

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
The threads in that forum during my high school/early adulthood years:

Naslund/Bertuzzi bromance
Dan Cloutier won’t get us over the hump
Burke needs to find another centre
Morrison is too small
Jovanovski makes too much, always injured
Artem Chubarov - Future Selke Winner
Marc Crawford is a good coach, could we do better?
Sedins too soft, trade em
Burke is wasting our time, fire him

Numerous posts of Canucks players going to the clubs, back before social media days.
Kesler and his stone hands drove posters nuts
The defending of Todd Bertuzzi after him breaking Steve Moore’s neck was a bit too much, even for me during that turbulent time.

The last season before we traded for Luongo, that forum went bat shit crazy. They kept on making music videos with sad/hype music and the word BELIEVE. Also, that was the time people turned on Naslund as captain because he didn’t ‘lead’ the team. Whatever the f***
my favorite was

"This team went downhill ever since ruutu left"

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
my favorite was

"This team went downhill ever since ruutu left"
“convert Bieksa into a right winger”

“Did Mike Gillis say f*** Luongo??”

Hodgson Vs Shroeder comparisons, who was better and having two of the top 10 prospects in the NHL supposedly.. lol

My favourite was: “WHY DOES EVERYONE WANT TO GET RID OF BERNIER”

Left those forums around the time Virtanen got sent back down to Utica. I was one of his biggest critics and essentially got silenced and kept getting restricted.

• Haha
Reactions: Play

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ranked 2nd in shutouts in the regular season (2001-02)...well tied for 2nd (along with 4 other goalies). Not too shabby a performance. Though his issues were letdowns in the post-season.

He was shit in the regular seasons, too. Bad goalies put up nice win/SO totals behind good teams.

Cloutier had 5 NHL seasons where he played 40+ games. This is where he finished in terms of save % amongst goalies who played 40+ games :

1999-00 28th of 28
2000-01 30th of 31
2001-02 28th of 33
2002-03 21st of 30
2003-04 12th of 30 (!)

In 2003-04 he had a very good October-December and was sitting at .922 on January 1, and then proceeded to crap the bed again during the second half.

That half-season in late 2003 was the only time in his entire career he was anything other than total shit.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I'd line to hear more about this astro surfing. Sounds dangerous.
It is simply flooding the internet with key words or statements burying other information.
It was used for the US election where an idea is put out there and then supported by marketing companies by swamping the narrative with information supporting that narrative.

Fans in this market got taken to the cleaners for years with so many "not Benning's fault", "Gillis is to blame", "Benning is restocking the cupboards", "Coaches fault", "So young a team" when in reality they weren't, "such a young core" when in reality there were only two considered young by NHL standards and now of those two only one can still be considered young, Hughes and he will be in his 6th season.

Team's hire a marketing firm, want only good information out there.

What happened to that girl that had the lawsuit? What really happened with Pearson's injury? Why was Tryamkin never given another chance? The lie about Vancouver smells of pot. Well it does smell of pot.

Lots of redirected leading of fans by the nose. Including media owned by sports team owners. So negativity or else.

Think there will ever be anothe Gallagher, Botchford or Macrae? Even a Davidson? Shorty, Larchied got canned for negativity years ago.

Who owns all media rights in Canada? Sportnet. Who sponsors some arenas? Sportsnet. Who sponsors some team efforts? Sportsnet Who hires all the media people? Sportsnet. Is it not just maybe in Sportsnet's best interest to suppress just how bad a local team is so they can sell advertising?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad