OT: Canucks.com Forums shutting Down

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008

This is absolutely brutal News for such a significant amount of Canucks fans that have been apart of the CDC Forums for Ages.

I understand some people on here don’t see eye to eye, but let’s turn the page!

I hope everybody welcomes each, and every one of them over here, give them a really respectful, kind, and gracious hello.

lets be good neighbours, Were all Canucks Fans! :thumbu:

Last edited:

kylek023

Oct 22, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
So a few years back, I tried to create an account and you needed an admin approval before you can do anything. A few days later I got a notice saying permanently banned. I thought it was a mistake since all I did was try to create an account so I made another application and the same thing happened.

No clue what the forum was trying to do

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
So a few years back, I tried to create an account and you needed an admin approval before you can do anything. A few days later I got a notice saying permanently banned. I thought it was a mistake since all I did was try to create an account so I made another application and the same thing happened.

No clue what the forum was trying to do
Probably it’s anti bot system. Did you use a proxy/vpn?

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I’m just going to go ahead and say good riddance. That forum was basically operated as a dictator state’s propaganda where you’d get banned for a dissenting view. It only helped to reduce criticism of the Benning regime and prolong that regime’s unbelievably incompetent reign of error.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
As I said in the OT thread - it was logically the first place I joined to talk Canucks hockey back in about 2000 or so. I moved on to some other places and then here which is where I’ve stayed.

I feel like surviving the wilds of the CDC forum and finding your way to a place like this was a mandatory step in one’s pilgrimage as a hardcore Canucks fan - bittersweet to see it being shut down. More so bitter because it’s another discussion forum going extinct, and that’s definitely my preferred method of discussion vs social media.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Fond memories of that place, before I joined here.

Burrows, do we really need him?
"Boeser can be our checking center! Why do we need to get another center!":laugh: (granted, I've said some real inane things on *THIS* board over the years)

Forums are a relic.

Its all about FaceGram and TickBook etc for kids these days.
I'm still holding out hope that myspace will make a comeback!:sarcasm:

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Th
As I said in the OT thread - it was logically the first place I joined to talk Canucks hockey back in about 2000 or so. I moved on to some other places and then here which is where I’ve stayed.

I feel like surviving the wilds of the CDC forum and finding your way to a place like this was a mandatory step in one’s pilgrimage as a hardcore Canucks fan - bittersweet to see it being shut down. More so bitter because it’s another discussion forum going extinct, and that’s definitely my preferred method of discussion vs social media.
This was basically me as well. Posted on CDC in high school during the west coast express era and shifted over to HF boards around 2003-2004 if I recall correctly.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m just going to go ahead and say good riddance. That forum was basically operated as a dictator state’s propaganda where you’d get banned for a dissenting view. It only helped to reduce criticism of the Benning regime and prolong that regime’s unbelievably incompetent reign of error.

I never posted at CDC and any time I got pointed in that direction I found nothing but the dumbest sports fans in existence.

Yeah, I tried posting there briefly 15 or 20 years ago. Nonis era maybe?

The moderation was absolutely insane. You’d post fairly tame, rational criticism and some lunatic would delete your post and give you a warning.

And yeah, it enabled Jim Benning. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I never even glanced at it during the Benning era. I can only imagine.

I think my time there was during the Burke era. I just remember a handful of posters who would try and have a conversation, and they’d get drowned out by a variety of lowest common denominator types.

I do vividly remember any time Matt Cooke came up that threads were derailed by fans gushing over how cute he was.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
RIP to the training ground. I agree that the homers they had in charge over there were insane but it sucks for the regular players over there. Sadly I wouldn’t expect their new site to stick, sites like CDC and HF maintain/grow their users because people are likely to stumble upon them through Google search.

Most of them probably just end up on Reddit if I had to guess. Doubt many of them come over here just because CDC was much more homer-friendly.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
RIP to the training ground. I agree that the homers they had in charge over there were insane but it sucks for the regular players over there. Sadly I wouldn’t expect their new site to stick, sites like CDC and HF maintain/grow their users because people are likely to stumble upon them through Google search.

Most of them probably just end up on Reddit if I had to guess. Doubt many of them come over here just because CDC was much more homer-friendly.
Might be different in that we actually have a real management team in place. Much more positive things to talk about vs the previous regime.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

I think I joined CDC in June 2008, I joined here shortly after but didn't really use this forum til the beginning of the 2010-11 season. Sad to see it shut down, like you said it really was a rite of passage.

Reactions: Indiana and Grub

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4