OT: Canucks.com Forums shutting Down

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Th

This was basically me as well. Posted on CDC in high school during the west coast express era and shifted over to HF boards around 2003-2004 if I recall correctly.

This was me pretty much exactly. Spent some time on the White Noise board when that splintered off, before signing up here.

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
I initially frequented the CDC website, but in the early 2000s, I discovered HFBoards, and have never gone back to CDC ever since. The primary reason I switched was the markedly higher quality of discussions found here. I often wonder what happened to the people from those early days who initially drew me to this platform.

When I think back to that time, I remember that I was too shy to join in the conversations, probably due to the language barrier I faced. So, I just watched and read the forum for a few years before finally making an account in 2004. Although I haven't been able to write many posts and have had less time to keep up with the team due to family responsibilities, I'm grateful that this platform has been around for over 20 years, especially after seeing CDC shutting down.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I had some heated Virtanen discussions on there because everyone was saying he was the next Todd Bertuzzi and everyone kept making every single excuse you could think of for his struggles when he just wasn’t a very good player at all.

Then things got weird for a time period where everyone was changing their usernames to names of fruits.

I will say this, during the 2011 cup run CDC was jusf absolute gold. The excitement and hype was insane. Pretty much the 2008-2013 era was gold. So many funny posters and shitposts and some legendary threads.

Ultimately I left around 2018 and came over to HF. I had previously been a lurker since 2009 on a different account here but forgot the pass to the email I used to create it, so I created this account in 2015 but didn’t really start posting until 2018-2019. Been here ever since.

Reactions: bh53 and Indiana

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Was there for the late Burke and Nonis years. Came here shortly after Gillis was hired then started this 2nd account after becoming a nihilist after the cup loss

Reactions: Vector

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I will say this, during the 2011 cup run CDC was jusf absolute gold. The excitement and hype was insane. Pretty much the 2008-2013 era was gold. So many funny posters and shitposts and some legendary threads.

The 2011 run on here was epic fun to experience. Such a great time

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I'm sad to see it go, for the simple reason that I don't want to go back to dealing with people who see anyone who acknowledges the team and it's management isn't perfect as a hater to be denigrated and who must automatically be both wrong and not really a fan of the team. I've been quite happy that they had their own place to support one another as "true" fans and hope that many of them flock to the new forum some of the members have started.

On the other hand there were a couple of posters there that I'd love to see here, including one that was the most reliable source of Canucks news I've run across. Occasionally I'd see news there that didn't seem to make it on here for another couple of days if at all.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Typical Canucks move to take something away from the fans that generates interest and costs basically nothing to maintain

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
That forum was owned by the NHL, managed by the team.
They censored many posters that posted stats and facts.
It became a cheerleader forum for FANATICS only.
They banned all out of country armed forces.
They banned anyone that used a public forum like McDonalds getting the device ip address and banning that device, sometimes the entire restaurant.
They banned entire families if there was more than one user at the IP address.
It became a astro surfing site. Too much censorship.

They used to say that this forum was for "haters". For years Benning could do no wrong, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Demko and Hughes were the new young prospects five years into their careers and ignoring that total lack of depth in the system and the incredibly stupid cap management, they liked to ignore the future even as far as the next season.

Good riddance. Must suck to have to join all the haters, now if only the marketers can be screened here so they don't start flooding the site with false facts and optimism by ignoring the main method of measure in the league, standings and win/loss records in this new points system.
I'd line to hear more about this astro surfing. Sounds dangerous.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Posted there for a bit when I first started following the Canucks, but eventually started lurking on here and created an account. Haven't looked back since but hopefully they find a home somewhere. Sure there are some really dumb takes but any form of fandom helps keeps the brand alive.

Reactions: Indiana
May 31, 2006
@Kuzmenkshow and I used to troll CDC together as teenagers circa 2006, and I think we made accounts here after getting banned there.

Has there been any outreach from hfboards admin to get some of the users over here? This place seems a lot less active now than 10-15 years ago and we could use some new blood.

Last edited:

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Canucks management got tired of the legitimate criticism that got posted on CDC.
Stunning to me that they would opt to shut it down. Kind of tells me they expect this year to be even worse?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The underlying principle at play is Craig MacEwan's relentless quest to control ALL the messenging.

First, it was limiting the time and questions for Canucks' interviews. Then it was denying Press Passes to JPat etc because, well, because he didn't like their questions.

Now this.

HFboard's parent company and Reddit should expect to receive superinjunctions shortly.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
The moderation was absolutely insane. You’d post fairly tame, rational criticism and some lunatic would delete your post and give you a warning.

I've relayed this anecdote a couple times but I wish I still had access to my DMs from back then (when I modded for a year) cause I remember getting a DM from the lead Mod who had been given an edict by whoever their boss was (likely just someone in the comms department) to not let negative discussions about ownership gain momentum.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
The former users can come here and engage in the same way. HF is the best, you can go to other teams forums and enjoy the discord or discussion of their boards. Welcome!

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Canucks management got tired of the legitimate criticism that got posted on CDC.
Stunning to me that they would opt to shut it down. Kind of tells me they expect this year to be even worse?

Naw, the Canucks overhauled their social media team in the off-season and their content is actually better than it was before.

And you are looking at this way too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00