OT: Canucks.com Forums shutting Down

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
That forum was owned by the NHL, managed by the team.
They censored many posters that posted stats and facts.
It became a cheerleader forum for FANATICS only.
They banned all out of country armed forces.
They banned anyone that used a public forum like McDonalds getting the device ip address and banning that device, sometimes the entire restaurant.
They banned entire families if there was more than one user at the IP address.
It became a astro surfing site. Too much censorship.

They used to say that this forum was for "haters". For years Benning could do no wrong, Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Demko and Hughes were the new young prospects five years into their careers and ignoring that total lack of depth in the system and the incredibly stupid cap management, they liked to ignore the future even as far as the next season.

Good riddance. Must suck to have to join all the haters, now if only the marketers can be screened here so they don't start flooding the site with false facts and optimism by ignoring the main method of measure in the league, standings and win/loss records in this new points system.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The threads in that forum during my high school/early adulthood years:

Naslund/Bertuzzi bromance
Dan Cloutier won’t get us over the hump
Burke needs to find another centre
Morrison is too small
Jovanovski makes too much, always injured
Artem Chubarov - Future Selke Winner
Marc Crawford is a good coach, could we do better?
Sedins too soft, trade em
Burke is wasting our time, fire him

Numerous posts of Canucks players going to the clubs, back before social media days.
Kesler and his stone hands drove posters nuts
The defending of Todd Bertuzzi after him breaking Steve Moore’s neck was a bit too much, even for me during that turbulent time.

The last season before we traded for Luongo, that forum went bat shit crazy. They kept on making music videos with sad/hype music and the word BELIEVE. Also, that was the time people turned on Naslund as captain because he didn’t ‘lead’ the team. Whatever the f***

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
Good memories in there early on, but yeah the quality really degraded.

I’ll never forget that game against Dallas where Bulis put us shorthanded late after what looked like 20 seconds of him doing everything he could to get a penalty. It cost us the lead and we lost in OT I believe. Somebody had taken a screenshot after the game and literally the ENTIRE front page was filled with Bulis related rage posts 😂

Reactions: Indiana

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Considering how much the organization has invested in marketing and communications this summer—I’m not surprised that they are pivoting away from that forum.

• It only serves a segment of already ‘converted’ fans who will likely follow the team regardless of that forum existing. They know they will find another place to connect.
  • There’s probably a large element of risk and effort required around moderating a forum like that. Especially with regards to moderation and what it is allowed or not allowed—and who controls that. I suspect whoever was moderating that site probably wasn’t a paid employee and that makes the risk even more abstract.
  • They probably want to try and move their social conversations between fans from a community with a high degree of gatekeeping (based on the comments above) to a community that is more accessible and easy to engage with gen z + alpha in the future. Tik Tok, etc.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As I said in the OT thread - it was logically the first place I joined to talk Canucks hockey back in about 2000 or so. I moved on to some other places and then here which is where I’ve stayed.

I feel like surviving the wilds of the CDC forum and finding your way to a place like this was a mandatory step in one’s pilgrimage as a hardcore Canucks fan - bittersweet to see it being shut down. More so bitter because it’s another discussion forum going extinct, and that’s definitely my preferred method of discussion vs social media.

Yeah. It's pretty sad, the way everything is trending toward the reductive social media formula of quick "hot takes" of 2 or 3 sentences max. Even social media itself is trending that way, with attention spans getting shorter and shorter and actual dialogue and discourse pretty much dying. Giving way to ever more insular echo chambers full of hollow throwaway comments.

As someone who grew up during the pinnacle of "The Internet Forum", there's a level of discussion and a sense of community that has been completely lost in the massive landscape shift toward social media and platforms like reddit.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Whatever the case with the closure. it's an interesting road they're going down. That site generated over 100k hits a month based on traffic to the Canucks nhl.com site in the off season. During peak season it was almost triple that. That's after a decade of suck.

Losing that level of guaranteed traffic is a bold move for sure.

A lot of posters int he forum world are getting on. Like we're all in our 30s, 40s or older. Moving in towards another form of media to get our news or interact with other fans is just not going to be easy. More so in the sense that many people in the under 30 bracket don't have the same love for hockey that the 30+ crowd do for various reasons.

It's going to be interesting seeing how this shapes up. A lot of people will migrate towards various existing sites/platforms that they have some small familiarity with. Others will just bow out completely.

Interesting tactic

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Considering how much the organization has invested in marketing and communications this summer—I’m not surprised that they are pivoting away from that forum.

• It only serves a segment of already ‘converted’ fans who will likely follow the team regardless of that forum existing. They know they will find another place to connect.
  • There’s probably a large element of risk and effort required around moderating a forum like that. Especially with regards to moderation and what it is allowed or not allowed—and who controls that. I suspect whoever was moderating that site probably wasn’t a paid employee and that makes the risk even more abstract.
  • They probably want to try and move their social conversations between fans from a community with a high degree of gatekeeping (based on the comments above) to a community that is more accessible and easy to engage with gen z + alpha in the future. Tik Tok, etc.

To the bolded point...i'm not sure it's even necessarily just about "accessibility". That's a big part of it, but it's also very much about boosting their "social media engagement" numbers on those important platforms in general. That's what teams and advertisers care about.

Nobody in the media department is going to go into a meeting and brag about how many posts they had on the forum that month. Nobody cares. But they absolutely are going to go in there and thump their chest proudly over the numbers if they see an uptick in Instragram/TikTok/etc. impressions and engagement. That's the measure of "successful media engagement" in today's world. Especially because it's massively easier to slip advertising and product placement into those platforms to make more money.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Is Musk a Canucks fan? I mean the way the forum was run makes me think he was, but to actually shutdown? Yikes.

Reactions: Indiana

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Yeah. It's pretty sad, the way everything is trending toward the reductive social media formula of quick "hot takes" of 2 or 3 sentences max. Even social media itself is trending that way, with attention spans getting shorter and shorter and actual dialogue and discourse pretty much dying. Giving way to ever more insular echo chambers full of hollow throwaway comments.

As someone who grew up during the pinnacle of "The Internet Forum", there's a level of discussion and a sense of community that has been completely lost in the massive landscape shift toward social media and platforms like reddit.

Yup. We're actually going backwards in terms of quality and the benefit of computing. I'm still blown away that people spend all day fishing for clicks of a button and actually get paid well for it often times. It's a pretty sad state of affairs for the human race. The culmination of all of our efforts is we've built a high powered machine that can count the number of times a button is pushed and people spend all day doing it. :help:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
To the bolded point...i'm not sure it's even necessarily just about "accessibility". That's a big part of it, but it's also very much about boosting their "social media engagement" numbers on those important platforms in general. That's what teams and advertisers care about.

Nobody in the media department is going to go into a meeting and brag about how many posts they had on the forum that month. Nobody cares. But they absolutely are going to go in there and thump their chest proudly over the numbers if they see an uptick in Instragram/TikTok/etc. impressions and engagement. That's the measure of "successful media engagement" in today's world. Especially because it's massively easier to slip advertising and product placement into those platforms to make more money.
I'm kind of old now so I'm sort of out of the loop on this "social media sh*t". Can't help but think this is attempt by the NHL to monetize things somehow (as I said, I don't know how those things generate $$$'s so I'm just speculating).

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19 and Grub

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I imagine they're making a connection between cdc shutting down and the great work Musk is doing to completely sewer twitter.
So at best the idea is “I don’t like how cdc was moderated” and “I don’t like what musk has done with twitter”.

So basically “I don’t like these two things so they are the same”

But the two things are the exact opposite too each other. So thats why I ask, so I can better understand what he is saying.

Reactions: Grub

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Oh wow. I did not expect this at all, just got into hfboards again after a long absense had to go through a major operation. I was in CDC alot in 2006-2008, I had the name Sanford (for Luongo's backup goalie), I was an male highschool student, so got into alot of trouble in CDC for posting different views. I still remember following the prospects there every single day (Dan Gendur, etc.) to watch them in the end turn up to absolutely nothing. I still remember Tim (who is a member of hfboards) being a mod there before he moved here.

Anyways I moved here in 2008 and never looked back since. Sure I got a lot of warnings and infractions here and there at the beginning, but hey I was a young dude.

I just hope that this forum will live on, screw discord, we need this forum up for us old people. Yes.. Millenials are old now :(.

PS. To those CDC members joining here. Welcome!

Also Mods, maybe you can do 1 thread to see how many Canuck fans we still have in hfboards, so make each member post once in that thread to see the count, really curious how much of us still survive here.

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad